Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sunny Haze | Mother Earth Brewing

Added by dgfair on 06-25-2011

4.2

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked this up at the brewery sometime ago and have kept it in my fridge the entire time. 12oz can poured into a tulip, the brew appears polished clear pale yellow with a billowy white head.

The smell has a hint of corn sweetness, fruity pear/apple and sulfur. Somewhat grassy herbs across the back.

The taste as a sweetness like corn and sulfur leading the way with a hint of clove faintly in the aftertaste.

This is medium to light bodied and moderately carbonated. It has some hints of hefe character but not really on point. Perhaps I held on to this can too long.

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

Thanks to WoodyChandler for this one. Poured into 16oz nonic. Poured the typical cloudy yellow color expected of the style, with less than 1/4 inch of white head that had very low retention and no lacing. With this style, I expect lots of big, fluffy white head.

The aroma was on the mild, almost bland, side of typical. Some very light yeast, but nice earthy wheat. None of the expected (and loved) banana and clove. On the tongue, the story was blandly similar. The nice wheat taste was left to carry the flavor on its own, with no support from the yeast.

The body was very thin, even for a style isn't isn't generally thick. Drinkability was good, my 12ozer was gone quickly, and I probably would have had another, if I had had another. Overall, this was a kind bland and meh example of the style. Perhaps if it were called a Pale Wheat, the number scores would have been higher. I enjoyed this brew after a 3-1/2 hour bike ride and it hit the spot nicely. I just thought it was kind of weak for a Hefe. Worth trying if you see it.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can into a weizen glass.

A - It's a slightly hazy golden straw color with pretty consistant carbonation. A moderate white head which turns into a longer lasting right lacing on the glass.

S - Lemony citrus and clove with a bit of biscuit.

T - A pretty balanced hefe. Some spicy notes pop out a bit more than I'm used to for the style. The lemon citrus and clove are present as well with a bit of a biscuity after taste. I almost think it's a little too balanced. I dont't get any of the banana at all.

M - Very light though the carbonation reminds you of it's presence. High drinkability and probably a very good middle of summer beer.

O - This is not my favorite if the style but still well crafted. One of the things I really like in Hefe's are the banana flavors that can come through and this was lacking them almost entirely.

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Hazy pale golden hued unfiltered body capped by a creamy white head.
S: Nose consists of fruit, banana, clove and bubblegum.
T: Light fruit, citrus, banana & clove favors.
M: Smooth, refreshing and light brew.
O: Good Hefeweizen that is true to style.

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured a fairly clear straw color almost with a reddish shade to it, minimal head, little to no lacing, and the carbonation seems lacking. The lack of a head kind of kills the experience for me with this type

The classic aroma was lacking, I smelled mostly fruit, not much in the clove or spiciness that I look for in this type

Taste followed the scent, although I did get some faint banana, still not much clove or spice

Mouthfeel was refreshing enough, but not the same chew that I feel with classic brews from this style

Overall, glad I tried it, but I don't think I will go this one again…too many others. In fairness, the bar served this off tap in the wrong style glass, but I have had other heffes out of a dixie cup and liked them, so I am not a glass snob, just indicating to others that perhaps this was an off batch or something was wrong with the tap. Even so, the flavor was lacking to me.

3.36/5  rDev -9.7%

On this, New CANned Beer Sunday, my latest thanks and gratitude go out to eli323232 for this and Second Wind, the latter of which I may not get to today. Let The CANQuest CANtinue unabated!

From the CAN: "Handcrafted in Eastern N.C."; "German Style Hefeweizen Ale"; "Peace, Love & Beer".

I had a good Crack and employed an inverted Glug as a result, ending up with a fizzy finger of bone-white head with modest retention. Color was a hazy lemon-yellow. Nose was faint, kind of lemony-citrus, but really hard to tell. At least it was not a big banana bomb. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery and although it was not as big as I would prefer, it was clove ester-forward! Be still my heart! I was not head over heels in love, but I'd come back for seconds over some Hefe dogs that I have been CANfronted with in the past. Finish was dry and slightly spicy, but there was room for improvement. I am really CANflicted on this one as it had my favorite flavor profile for the style, however, it was not as intense as I would have hoped for. How to score this one ...?

3.36/5  rDev -9.7%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a hazy medium yellow with an average sized (1-2 finger) white frothy head that diminished quickly, down to a very thin layer and a small collar of residue producing some fair streaky lacing.

The aroma was of a straw malt and a sweaty yeasty with notes of banana, citrus (lemon and maybe a little orange) and a hint of clove.

The taste was mildly sweet with a strong wheat presence from the beginning and then progressed with a big note of citrus and a mild hint of spice at the end. The flavor lasted only a short time and was refreshingly citrusy.

Mouthfeel was light in body with a mild creamy watery texture and had a good strong carbonation.

Overall this brew is a very light Hefeweizen that has a nice low ABV. I found it to be a very refreshing brew, which would be great for those days hanging out on the boat on a hot summer’s day...

3.46/5  rDev -7%

A: pours a pale, hazy yellow with 2 fingers of white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing

S: light spices and crystal malt up front with a biscuity yeast aroma on the finish.

T: similar to the aroma, light spices and pilsner like malts up front. Biscuit and yeast flavors finish the beer.

M: light body with medium carbonation, this beer is fairly crisp and light.

O: a decent hefeweizen, it could use a bit more depth. Still, it's far from bad.

Sunny Haze from Mother Earth Brewing