Sunny Haze | Mother Earth Brewing

motherearthbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by dgfair on 06-25-2011

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked this up at the brewery sometime ago and have kept it in my fridge the entire time. 12oz can poured into a tulip, the brew appears polished clear pale yellow with a billowy white head.

The smell has a hint of corn sweetness, fruity pear/apple and sulfur. Somewhat grassy herbs across the back.

The taste as a sweetness like corn and sulfur leading the way with a hint of clove faintly in the aftertaste.

This is medium to light bodied and moderately carbonated. It has some hints of hefe character but not really on point. Perhaps I held on to this can too long.

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an opaque pale gold producing almost 2 fingers of off-white, shortlived head that leaves only a few motes of lacing. Aroma is wheat, dough, white or muscadine grape & citrus with hints of banana, floral hops & faint coriander. Taste is wheat, pie dough & as in the nose something muscadine grape like with hints of banana, clove (less than expected) & candy apple which become more prominent in the finish. Very faint hints of coriander & floral hops also in the finish but hardly enough to mention. Especially fruity from mid-sip into aftertaste. The aftertaste is a thin mirror image of the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, crisp, becoming somewhat dry & lightly prickly late in the sip.

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

3.11/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured a fairly clear straw color almost with a reddish shade to it, minimal head, little to no lacing, and the carbonation seems lacking. The lack of a head kind of kills the experience for me with this type

The classic aroma was lacking, I smelled mostly fruit, not much in the clove or spiciness that I look for in this type

Taste followed the scent, although I did get some faint banana, still not much clove or spice

Mouthfeel was refreshing enough, but not the same chew that I feel with classic brews from this style

Overall, glad I tried it, but I don't think I will go this one again…too many others. In fairness, the bar served this off tap in the wrong style glass, but I have had other heffes out of a dixie cup and liked them, so I am not a glass snob, just indicating to others that perhaps this was an off batch or something was wrong with the tap. Even so, the flavor was lacking to me.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.57/5  rDev -4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured into a Hefe glass. Nice head forms but less than I expect from a Hefe. Slightly cloudy yellow gold. Some but not much lacing.

S: Minimal aroma

T: A mild Hefe taste of bananas and cloves.

M: Light to moderate mouthfeel

O:I doubt I will repeat this one. I think SN Kellerweis is a better option.

Sunny Haze from Mother Earth Brewing