Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Kasteel Rouge | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge
3.82/5
Very Good
Kasteel RougeKasteel Rouge

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
vanhonsebrouck.be

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Kasteel Rouge is a blend of Kasteel Donker and cherry liquor. The mix of these two excellent products creates an exceptional soft beer with references to the dark mother beer.

Added by KarlHungus on 09-25-2007

Ratings: 1,059 |  Reviews: 411

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Everything about this beer is good from the start.
Then you start to drink it.
Ater a while with the bottle you begin to tire of it.
I offered some to well informed beer company and heard, "it tastes like 'Tussin."
The cherry flavored beer got me once before with the Russian River Supplication.
That was a little better but I'm not a fan of either.

3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: dark cola body with a reddish tint; bridal blush one finger head; no lacing

Aroma: big time cherry, cola,

Flavors: big cherry cola flavor; light-moderate tart cherry; if there are any other flavors it is covered up by the big time cherry flavor; I like cherries but I like my ale to taste like an ale with some fruit

Mouthfeel: light-moderate tart cherry; cherry; and cherry on the aftertaste; light-moderate carbonation; but you don’t even think about the carbonation because of the cherry

To the Point: need I say it again … cherry; I think I am drinking a cherry cola; I don’t think I can finish even on bottle of this; half way thru and I am taking this glass to my wife; if you like cherry flavored colas this would be perfect for you;

3.59/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark reddish ale with small head.

S: You get the cherries right away. Very pungent cherry smell with not much else coming through.

T: I had to check the label again to make sure this was beer. It tastes very close to wine. At least it burns your tongue the same way.

M: Tastes too much like wine. The cherry flavor is extreme and covers up any other tastes. Not easy to hold in your mouth for long. Little to no aftertaste.

O: Very different than anything I've ever had before. It's worth trying just for the experience but I wouldn't make this a go to beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The view of this master beer of Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck 'Kasteel Rouge', is a very good and
a nice dark, red, velvet fluid of very nice pleasure...

The nose brings me back to the Garden of Red Fruits most of fresh dark cherries of the Spring Morning...delicate and sweetness of Nature...

The taste, My God,...in 1 word absolute enjoyment! a Perfect combination of strong dark beer with fruity cherry. My kind of good fruit beer! There are ufcourse cherries in the taste, a soft taste of aromas of beer but not over pounding. Fresh, lightly sweet and very good drinkable, a quite dangerous but a very, very great beer! About the dangerous part it is fresh and a fruity beer but with the alcohol of 8%, you will not recognize it in this fantastic beer. You will drink more and more....

For me one of the best beers ever!

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle to a mug. Small ruby head receded quickly. No lacing. Strong cherry aroma. Taste is very sweet cherry upfront with a malty middle, mild bitter/sour cherry finish. High carbonated mouthfeel.

Overall strong cherry dominance hides the alcohol. Would serve well as a dessert/winter holiday beer.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Kasteel Rouge from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
Beer rating: 3.82 out of 5 with 1,059 ratings