Kasteel Tripel | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel TripelKasteel Tripel

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
vanhonsebrouck.be

Style: Tripel

Added by neenerzig on 09-17-2008

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

3.79/5  rDev 0%

Bottled on 2012/01/10. 750ml bottle split into two different Belgian goblets.

Pours with decent clarity, boasting a honey tangerine-gold color. The head is a little disappointing. Really fizzy bubbles expelled themselves almost at the speed of gravity.

White bread, banana, green peppercorn, alcohol, coriander, wheat, and clove. Pretty big in the nose. Not as brash as I had remembered, but the aroma is unmistakable even from a distance.

Strong and spicy. Lots of peppery spice and coriander. Clove is here, too. It's the spiciness of the yeast and the booze that kill back the huge crusty bread notes from the aroma. Even the fruitiness of the banana and pear and light bubblegum get lost in the bitter and dusty yeast and 11% ABV. Tastes like it was meant to be a 'big balls' kind of beer, but I have to knock it for imbalance. The flavor is good, if not impressive. I just wish there was more fruitiness (not necessarily sweetness) to balance.

Very hot in the gut. Slightly burning in the back of the throat, too. Body is supple. Carbonation speaks for itself--a high note for Kasteel Tripel.

A beer I used to love, but my palate has changed and I have tasted so many epic tripels now. One of the first of the style I ever enjoyed. That was a younger me. This beer actually exceeded my expectations; perhaps, I feared the booziness of the big bottle and refrained from revisiting it over the past few years. It's been at least that long since I've last had one. And, guess what, I'd go after another one sooner than later. I guess it just still sticks with me.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Poured in a chalice. Mild carbonation gives way to a bit of lacing. Color is comparable to somewhat cloudy bourbon.

S: Pleasant, with a nasal-passage opening hint of ethanol from this 11% ABV trippel. Not a seasoned reviewer yet and I am having difficulty detecting specific notes.

T: There is a decent alcoholic bite to this brew, but a mild bitterness gives way to a refreshing sweetness.

M: Thin, light with little carbonation once it hits your tongue.

Overall, I'm pleased. I would definitely drink it again!

4.17/5  rDev +10%

Apparently my review got sent into the 7% Blond category, there was some confusion when I initially wrote this; this is a review from 5/1/10, the triple, moving it to the proper spot -

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark gold/amber with a mild white head, no real lace.

S: Cake batter, baked pears.

T: Sweet pilsner malt and Belgian candy sugar. Nice pear and banana esters too. A tad boozy at 11%, but it works wonders with the flavours, everything is integrated.

M: A tad overcarbonated, but a nice full body, smooth.

D: A delicious tripel with a modicum of ethanol power. Good stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Kasteel Tripel from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.