Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Kasteel Tripel | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

Kasteel TripelKasteel Tripel
3.81/5
Very Good
Kasteel TripelKasteel Tripel

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
vanhonsebrouck.be

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.79/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottled on 2012/01/10. 750ml bottle split into two different Belgian goblets.

Pours with decent clarity, boasting a honey tangerine-gold color. The head is a little disappointing. Really fizzy bubbles expelled themselves almost at the speed of gravity.

White bread, banana, green peppercorn, alcohol, coriander, wheat, and clove. Pretty big in the nose. Not as brash as I had remembered, but the aroma is unmistakable even from a distance.

Strong and spicy. Lots of peppery spice and coriander. Clove is here, too. It's the spiciness of the yeast and the booze that kill back the huge crusty bread notes from the aroma. Even the fruitiness of the banana and pear and light bubblegum get lost in the bitter and dusty yeast and 11% ABV. Tastes like it was meant to be a 'big balls' kind of beer, but I have to knock it for imbalance. The flavor is good, if not impressive. I just wish there was more fruitiness (not necessarily sweetness) to balance.

Very hot in the gut. Slightly burning in the back of the throat, too. Body is supple. Carbonation speaks for itself--a high note for Kasteel Tripel.

A beer I used to love, but my palate has changed and I have tasted so many epic tripels now. One of the first of the style I ever enjoyed. That was a younger me. This beer actually exceeded my expectations; perhaps, I feared the booziness of the big bottle and refrained from revisiting it over the past few years. It's been at least that long since I've last had one. And, guess what, I'd go after another one sooner than later. I guess it just still sticks with me.

Kasteel Tripel from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.