St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Gueuze Fond TraditionSt. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
vanhonsebrouck.be

Style: Gueuze

St-Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition is a pure traditional gueuze aimed at connoisseurs. It has the pure taste of a true gueuze based on a blend of young and old lambics. Fruity apple aromas stand out. When tasting, the slightly sour touches, characteristic of lambic beers, make their presence felt. It is very dry in the finish.

Added by rastaman on 08-03-2002

Ratings: 1,022 |  Reviews: 343

2.25/5  rDev -42%

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Coleman Public House
5oz sample as part of a flight

A: amber with a small amount of white head and no lacing
S: somewhat tart but also surprisingly funky , sour dark fruits
T: vinegar, tart citrus , some sour fruits one you get past the vinegar
M: moderate carbonation, medium body good drink ability
O: not one of my favorite gueuze's but pretty good once you get past the initial vinegar notes

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

33cl bottle bottled on 110706, so almost 7 years old to the day. Appearance is burnt gold, murky (though little sediment as I had stored it on it's side and poured gently), with fine, lively bubbled forming a small creamy light sand colored head leaving scattered foam.

Smell is funky and sour, a little lemon, some baby diaper, soft tropical fruit notes.

Taste is bracing tart, lactic acid, with a fairly abrupt, slate laden finish with lingering pucker. Light sweetness.

Mouthfeel is fully carbonated with fine, crisp spritz lightening a medium body.

Drinkability is pretty good, the nose is fantastic, but the quick finish is a little disappointing. Seems to have lost some complexity with time, contrary to my expectations.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance: Light, with hints of yellow, orange, red, really a nice-looking beer. Head was about an inch when I poured it and dissipated to a just a little foam pretty quickly.

Smell: Smells a lot like I remember a kriek smelling last week. Hmm. Definitely some cherry smells. A little bit sour smelling. Also a little grassy and dank, but not in a bad way.

Taste: Yeah, definitely sour up front, with some lasting... bitterness? Not what I generally taste in terms of bitterness, but it's there. This is my first gueuze. Not sure I'm a big fan. Still picking up a grassy, hay-ish kind of aftertaste. I think I get why people might like it, it's not bad. Tastes pretty well-balanced, as far as I can tell (which is not far). A slightly sweet after-aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. It's been sitting for a little while and I still got a burst of carbonation at the beginning of the last sip and at the end. Probably a little over-carbonated for me. Definitely not watery, seems pretty strong. A little coarser, I think, than usual.

Overall: They say that if it looks like a pig, acts like a pig, and tastes like a pig. This looks good, smells good, but to me doesn't taste good. So I'm guessing this style just isn't for me. I can't taste anything wrong with it, just don't like it. Bear in mind that while I've been drinking beer a little while, I'm new to reviewing and this is my first of the style.

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.