St. Louis Kriek | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis KriekSt. Louis Kriek
Liked This Beer
3.53 w/ 160 ratings
St. Louis KriekSt. Louis Kriek

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
vanhonsebrouck.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Jason on 11-09-2003

Liked:
3.53/5
17%
Alströms:

4.48/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Fine lambic, excellent bitterness balanced by the cherry.

4.48/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark amber lambic with light, almost no head, smells of sweet cherries.

This is one of the sweetest lambics I have ever had. I can't emphasize enough how sweet it is. Super sweet. I kind of like it, but I can see it being off putting if you aren't ready for the overload of cherry.

4.39/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a bottle in Amsterdam into a tulip.

This is one of the better lambics I've had.

The color is a dark red with a light pinkish head and minimal lacing.

It smells very fruity, mostly cherries is what I'm getting.

It tastes sweet, cherry is everywhere. with a very fine finish.

4.37/5  rDev +23.8%

375 mL bottle with a date of 05-2007, pretty sure that is a bottled date. Pours a very clear rich red color with a light cap of foam. Fades quickly in true lambic fashion.

Nose is chock full of delicious cherry aromas. Not very sour smelling and has a fair amount of sweetness to it.

Ahh, there is the tartness, it seems some age has really brought out some deeper kriek-like flavors. Sweetness is still there, but less so that I remember on the one I had a year and a half ago from the same batch. Lots of cherry flavors are here, much more so than Cantillon Kriek, but also much less sour. Mouthfeel is rich and thick, quite good. I am really digging this beer with some age on it. I will not hesitate to grab many more of these next time I see it and throw them in the cellar. Pretty good value as well, as I think this one was under 5 bucks. I like to think of this as more of a dessert beer, akin to a good icewine. So damn drinkable.

4.29/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a clear dark ruby color. No head or lacing or any type of head/lacing.
Aroma was mild cherry with bread? farmy kinda hint to it
Taste I thought was real good...it was not overly sweet...it did have a nice fizz to it...it also wasn't as fruity/cherry as I thought it was going to be...clean crisp with a nicely tart aftertaste...
mouthfeel had a little fizz but was fairly thin...
drinkability was great...i blew threw the 10oz sampler and bought a growler the next day...my wife actually likes this too and we finished the growler in 2 days...good stuff
I will keep buying this while its still on tap at shoreline

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.2/5  rDev +19%

Pours out a really clear bubbly pinkish red with one finger white small suds.
Smell is Cherry and oak and sugar malts.
Taste is sour and sweet cherry with a dark bitterness hiding just behind.
Mouthfeel is very clean and cold, this beer is very refreshing.
Overall I like this brewery and it's wonderful sour fruit beers.

4.2/5  rDev +19%

4.17/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured a sem-cloudy reddish-amber color with a half inch pink head that dissipated after a minute or so. Not much lacing though.

Aroma of sour cherries, medicinal/metallic scent as well.

Taste is very cider-like; sour cherries, tart and puckering.

Good carbonation on this one, flavor lingers on the palate for a good while. This lambic feels a bit thin on the tounge.

Easy to drink although this makes me burp entirely too much. The carbonation keeps this one from becoming too sweet, although I don't think I would have a sixer of these (that and the price of lambics is usually pretty high...)

4.13/5  rDev +17%

Pours a dark red color with a one-finger head into my chalice.

Aroma is strong with tart cherry that reminds me of cherry pie.

Taste is strong, tart cherry with quite a bit of carbonation and it's not too cloying nor sour.

Mouthfeel is faded tart cherry that seems smooth and lingers a bit.

Not a bad example of a lambic. In comparison to Boon and Lindeman's, this is in the middle.

4.12/5  rDev +16.7%

I think this beer is far better than the reviews. Nice cherry sweetness, lacks a bit in the nose, but very solid. A little bit of funk in aroma, which is appealing. Dark figgy color. Sour cherries. Funky aftertaste. I like this a lot.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Enjoyed during a fruit lambic tasting and poured into a plastic tasting glass. Bottled on 070419, which I'm assuming means 2007. Should be sour.

Pours a deep amber-maroon, slightly hazy, with a fizzy light tan head that dissipates quickly, leaving some spotty lace.

Super aromatic, I can pick it up from far away. Super-sweet cherries, a bit of butter and sugar cookie notes hit first, while an earthy tinge comes after the swallow.

This thing tastes like a cherry Now and Later. Very sweet and nicely tart, with a very slight funky character.

Light, fizzy carbonation inside a soft medium-light body. The tartness builds lightly on the sides of the tongue between sips.

Though the drink wasn't as tart as I expected, it was still extremely flavorful and damn tasty. The impressive use of cherry flavor made this one the winner of the tasting for sure.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

A dark , hazy ruddy pour, with a little pinkish head. Little lacing in my tulip. Strong cherry smell. Super sweet light fizzy start, with a tart almost sour finish. Very strong cherry taste almost like cough medicine, but with the sour finish, its really quite refreshing. With the strong sweet start it really does not finish sweet and syrupy, but more dry and crisp.

4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

A very nice kriek! I tried this kriek while in Belgium, after my dinner. It was very cherry (some may even say cough-syrup or candy-like, but I enjoyed it!) and very sweet. Definitely a dessert type of drink, but not something to drink with a meal. It was bubbly, and malty just like a lambic should be. I was very impressed, and I think I preferred it to Lindeman's (at least their Kriek).

Served in a Lindemans lambic flute.

Pours a clear slightly pink crimson with a thick, also slightly pink white frothy head that lingers a while before dying out altogether. An initial thick halo heads the lacing, which gets prigressively thinner down the glass. The nose is loaded with sour cherries, with a bit of wood and greenery lurking from behind. The taste follows almost exactly, though the wood and greens are covered o'er by the cherries in the finish, whose taste tend toward cough syrup territory. Still, a very cherry-y flavor, with just the right amount of sour. The body is a light medium, with a lightly healthy carbonation and a fluid feel, making for a very high level of drinkability.

St. Louis Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
Beer rating: 43.1% out of 100 with 160 ratings