St. Louis Premium Kriek | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

St. Louis Premium KriekSt. Louis Premium Kriek

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
vanhonsebrouck.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Jason on 09-14-2003

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

250ml can: Poured a bright red color beer with a small pink bubbly head with no retention. Aroma of fake cheery syrup is dominating and kind of gross. Taste is also disgustingly sweet with the fake cherry syrup totally dominating. Overall, this has the appearance and taste of a cherry soda.

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The nose is extremely fruity, very close to saturation, which puts the chip in his ear about adding any syrup of cherries. The body is also composed largely of the syrup and it has the inclination. The flavor of beer and more particularly the lambic is obviously nonexistent. Very sweet, very artificial and very disgusting, we will prefer a real fruit juice.

Be careful to don't confuse St Louis Kriek and St Louis Kriek Premium. It's 2 different beers...

2.11/5  rDev -34.9%

Presentation: 12.7 fluid ounce green glass bottle which has a dimpled base. Thin but hard clinging shiny red foil tightly wraps the neck and covers the large crown cap. Main label has the words “Premium Kriek” above a brace of provocative looking Cherry pairs. Recommended to be served at 5°C (that’s 41°F). Allegedly this stuff is the regular St. Louis Kriek (4.5%) but with 25% Cherry juice. Best Before 10-2006. No strength listed but research tells me that this is a massive 3.2% ABV...a girly brew in more than one way it seems ;-)

Appearance: It looks great in the glass, there is no denying that. A lovely deep red, a full bodied purple-red glows when back-lit. The head is quick to form but soon collapses to a broken bubbly covering that struggles to keep anything more than a foamy halo towards the end. Spritzy carbonation exhibits a racy speed when the glass is gently tipped.

Nose: Sweet cherries, to be expected, but the nose has a light sour dark cherry skin odor to balance the sweetness, well at first anyways.

Taste: Sour cherry start but it soon gets swamped with a sweet cherry-pie thick viscous middle. Ends chewy and sweet with a huge cherry sugar-laden cough syrup lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Not that bad when chilled straight from the fridge, but as it warms it soon thickens and the sweetness becomes unbearable.

Drinkability: In small doses and heavily chilled to suppress the sweetness and cloying mouthfeel it isn’t too bad. Beyond that it reminds me of the cherry concentrate used to make Popsicles. The last part of my 12.7 fluid ounce bottle had warmed slightly; I decided that rather dump it, I would mix the remnants with a cool crisp bottle of Pilsner Urquell, made the experience so much more bearable….

Overall: Probably the worst of the three St. Louis “Premiums” that I tried this weekend.

2.17/5  rDev -33%

I would just say this tastes like liquified Luden's cough drops - and leave it at that - but the minimum word count won't let me. It looks grenadine-red with a pink head. I've already covered the smell/taste aspect. It has a syrupy feel, yet it is still evervescent. I would not like to have this again.

2.24/5  rDev -30.9%

Well, well, I’ve posted on the forum before about these kind of beers. They are all very recent, contain a very low ABV and taste very artificially. Woman beers, I call them. Created by brewers to get more woman to drink beer. You all didn’t completely agree with my point, but anyway, here’s the review:

A very nice dark-red cherry colour with a cute pink fluffy head. Like all Kriek beers, to get a head, you will have to pour it in with some gentle aggressiveness. But nevertheless, a Kruik head never stays long. Mild carbonation.
Kriek beers are served in every kind of glass available. I had this one in a Stein.
This kriek has a very rich pallet of sweet odours, I thought I spotted a slight bitter hop smell too, but I could have been wrong. The chemical sweet odour is very overpowering.
The first taste gave the impression I was drinking a kind of grenadine sugary syrup. This beer really needs to be ice cold to be consumed. And very hot outside (like today ;-)). Very artificial sweet taste. Just like drinking some apple-cherry lemonade with a drop of alcohol in it.
I was quite surprised, but the aftertaste did have some sweet cherry touches. Still it seemed that these cherry’s where rapped in sticky honey.
The mouthfeel wasn’t any different. A very sweet sugary awareness in the back of your mouth.
Where is the Lambic gone to, I ask you? Quite disappointing…

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

2.41/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a deep ruby red with a fluffy rosey pink head over top. Very brilliant and colorful with a resiliant head. Nose is rather sweet cherry, with a light underlying tartness, but mostly very sweet cherry. Flavor is all about the sweet as well. Candy-like cherry sweetness, with just a hint of tartness. No acetic bite. Way over sweetened. Feel is moderate, with a slight syrupy slickness. Carbonation is light, but of tight, small. This one lacks pretty well all around as a good lambic. Way too sweet, not enough of the funk and tart. A good one for me to have with my wife, but not a lambic I will get when I crave the funk.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

375 ml bottle shared with my wife
A - bright read clear and bubbly with a one finger fizzy head and no lacing.
S - straight up cherry cough syrup.
t - just like the nose but with a drying lingering finish. There actually is a hint of lambic beneath all that sweet medicine.
M - lighter than syrup and moderately carbonated.
D - ranks low on the fruit lambic scale and thus low for drinkability.

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

A-Deep red, almost purple body with a thin pinkish head that drops quickly leaving medium lacing.

S-Lots of cherry, but I also got some other fruits, almost tropical. I got a little bit of lactic sour, and possibly just a touch of funk back there, but really not much at all. The cherries take over in a big way.

T-Very juicy cherries, maybe a little bit of something richer. I would say that there is some tart, but it comes exclusively from the cherries, I would have a very hard time calling this lambic.

M-Sugary slick with low carbonation.

D-Its like lightly carbonated cherry juice. I wouldn't say it tastes bad, but do not go into this looking for a lambic, in fact if someone poured it for me without indicating what it was I wouldn't even call it beer. All that aside, it doesn't have that fake cough syrup taste that you get from Lindemans, so at the price (I think I paid $5.99) its a pretty good deal.

2.74/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle Date 08/2007, Cork Date 08/2005, Sampled September 2007
I can only assume that is a best by bottle date as I purchased this a couple months ago. Pours with an initially finger and a half thick, dirty red tinged, tan colored head that sits atop a murky, not quite opaque, sickly pinkish tinged, red colored beer. At first the aroma smells like a mix cherry & strawberry ice creams, but then some funkiness kicks in. At times I get notes of rancid cheese, urea, butterscotch and touches of burnt plastic. Somehow this does not smell nearly as sweet as the Premium Framboise did, hopefully this means the taste is not as sweet either; somehow I doubt it though.

Yep, this is again a super sweet beer. Way too much sugar was added to this beer. Tastes strongly of cherries, but even still the sweetness overwhelms even this. The beer finishes with a light, funky, astringent note and even a bit of plastic-like phenolics. Again there is really not much to this beer; lots of sweetness, intense non-descript fruit character and a fair amount of distinctly cherry derived flavors. Not worth it at all, though it is perhaps not quite as offensive as the raspberry version.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

2.74/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured a very cherry red with a thick pink head. Looked something similar to a cream soda

The aroma was very sweet and mostly dominated by cherries

Taste is quite one-dimensional: cherries. I can't say that a whole lot else comes through. The cherry flavour doesn't seem overly artifical or sweet though. Finishes slightly tart.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied with a soft carbonation

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.83/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle acquired from the MLCC and poured ~6C into a stemmed flute.

Pours a rich deep clear red with a pink head that laces nicely. Nose is dominated by cherries, in fact there is nothing else. Now for the rest of the review...

So yeah, this is a "lambic"? Where is the sourness or the tartness? Tastes of cherries, cherries and more cherries with a sweetness that just isn't normal for a real lambic. This is a cherry also-cooler. Passed off to my wife. She enjoyed it.

Tasted a bit of it 45 minutes later (she's a real slow drinker) and some of the background lambic notes were coming out from the woodwork, but were still quite muted. A light tartness was evident too, which had me slightly increase the T,M &O scores...

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Had to try this out of my mad compulsion to experience every lambic available. 750ml.

I heard this beer was very similar the the flavored Lindemans line, and it sort of was, except that to me those taste like chemicals and this one more like real fruit. It pours a purplish burgundy, decent head and nice lace.

The first sip was the best unfortunately (but I think this was a temperature issue): Sweet, sweet cherry, strawberry, cranberry, some damn kind of red berry. But it was nicely balanced by a distinct tartness. But within 5 minutes, whatever held it together was gone, leaving me with a diabetic coma in a glass. This was a 750ml, so with a lot left in a relatively cold container, I took a swig from the bottle. Yup, there it is. Tart, and much better than the soda beer in my glass. How do you rate something you change your mind on twice in one sitting?

Bottom line:
Syrupy but not sickening, too sweet and unbalanced, but not as bad as that cough medicine thing you sometimes encounter. Good for desert, sub-par for a true kriek lambic.

2.96/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a goblet from the bottle.

A- Ruby red color and very clear. Nice looking beer in the glass. Decent head with moderate lacing.

S- Smelled of cherries (obviously) but also quite medicinal to me. Wasn't thrilled with the aroma.

T- Tasted too sweet to me. I wanted more sourness. Again, medicinal at the end with decent cherry flavors mixed in.

M- Good mouthfeel. didn't come off too thin like some of this style.

D- Certainly easy to drink if you like sweet beers. My wife enjoyed it quite a bit. I could drink one but that would be it for me. I wanted a really sour lambic so I was a bit disappointed in this one.

Overall, not a bad beer, just didn't appeal to me. I think it's a beer for the ladies though.

2.98/5  rDev -8%

Poured a 2" light pink head. Held to the light it's a clear medium cherry red color. Smells like an open jar of cocktail cherries. Taste again is the cocktail cherries with only a little hint of sour from the lambic style of the beer. Really this is just fruit juice. Tasty? Sure. But I suspect if you had a blind taste testing of this against a brachetto wine and an actual juice sample they'd be all messed up in the impossibility of which was a wine sample, a beer sample, a juice sample, etc.

St. Louis Premium Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.