Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

St. Louis Premium Kriek | Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
St. Louis Premium KriekSt. Louis Premium Kriek

Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by Jason on 09-14-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 80
4.12/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a stemmed lambic glass.

Appearance- Light cranberry color with a think foamy head with a tinge of purple. A little cloudy. The head laces well and looks appealing on the glass.

Smell- Tart and fruity. About what I would expect to smell from any sort of sour lambic. Specific fruit is hidden behind the tartness.

Taste- Still lots of tartness, but the fruit flavors dominate here. Great sour sugary fruit on the front that dries out quickly at the end. Cherries, cranberries and grapes fill up the fruit flavors.

Mouth feel- Creamy and crisp. Perfect pair with the flavors.

Drinkability/Overall- Each sip leaves the mouth wanting more. The tartness and astringency of the beer makes my mouth water. Fruit lambics are not for everyone (obviously based on some previous scores here), but this is one of the best I have tried. This makes a great dessert, but I could imagine it would make a good appetizer as well. With how much this beer makes the mouth water, it couldn't help but enhance the flavors of anything you ate after it. Though, I suppose the tartness and sweetness might throw of your palette.

3.9/5  rDev +21.5%

What can I say? I love cherry juice. I love beer. I enjoy fruit beers. This is cherry juice (25%) and a gueze lambic. So it plays to my weaknesses.

The general characteristics are of cherry juice. The beer gives it a bit of a head and some lace and a hint of an alcohol bite. Sweet but not cloying like some other fruit beers. Nice sour cherry finish. Comes across as mostly juice.

Clearly not for everybody, but it hits the spot for me. Best as a summer or desert drink. Might even work over ice for the heretical among you. Might even make a decent ice cream float. I'll stop now.

1.5/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

250ml can: Poured a bright red color beer with a small pink bubbly head with no retention. Aroma of fake cheery syrup is dominating and kind of gross. Taste is also disgustingly sweet with the fake cherry syrup totally dominating. Overall, this has the appearance and taste of a cherry soda.

3.65/5  rDev +13.7%

350ml bottle

Pours a clear deep ruby color with fluffy pink head that thins. Nice lacing on the glass.

Smells like cherry candy with a bit of a sour backdrop. Smells on par with other Kriek's I've had.

Taste is slightly sweet upfront with a nice cherry taste. It is quickly washed over by the traditional lambic sourness with a slight bite. Finishes with a lingering cherry taste and a faint dull medicinal taste at the very end.

Full body, zesty carbonation.

This is a pretty decent lambic. Not the best I've ever had, but I surely don't see why it's earned such poor ratings in the past.

2.41/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a deep ruby red with a fluffy rosey pink head over top. Very brilliant and colorful with a resiliant head. Nose is rather sweet cherry, with a light underlying tartness, but mostly very sweet cherry. Flavor is all about the sweet as well. Candy-like cherry sweetness, with just a hint of tartness. No acetic bite. Way over sweetened. Feel is moderate, with a slight syrupy slickness. Carbonation is light, but of tight, small. This one lacks pretty well all around as a good lambic. Way too sweet, not enough of the funk and tart. A good one for me to have with my wife, but not a lambic I will get when I crave the funk.

2.11/5  rDev -34.3%

Presentation: 12.7 fluid ounce green glass bottle which has a dimpled base. Thin but hard clinging shiny red foil tightly wraps the neck and covers the large crown cap. Main label has the words “Premium Kriek” above a brace of provocative looking Cherry pairs. Recommended to be served at 5°C (that’s 41°F). Allegedly this stuff is the regular St. Louis Kriek (4.5%) but with 25% Cherry juice. Best Before 10-2006. No strength listed but research tells me that this is a massive 3.2% ABV...a girly brew in more than one way it seems ;-)

Appearance: It looks great in the glass, there is no denying that. A lovely deep red, a full bodied purple-red glows when back-lit. The head is quick to form but soon collapses to a broken bubbly covering that struggles to keep anything more than a foamy halo towards the end. Spritzy carbonation exhibits a racy speed when the glass is gently tipped.

Nose: Sweet cherries, to be expected, but the nose has a light sour dark cherry skin odor to balance the sweetness, well at first anyways.

Taste: Sour cherry start but it soon gets swamped with a sweet cherry-pie thick viscous middle. Ends chewy and sweet with a huge cherry sugar-laden cough syrup lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Not that bad when chilled straight from the fridge, but as it warms it soon thickens and the sweetness becomes unbearable.

Drinkability: In small doses and heavily chilled to suppress the sweetness and cloying mouthfeel it isn’t too bad. Beyond that it reminds me of the cherry concentrate used to make Popsicles. The last part of my 12.7 fluid ounce bottle had warmed slightly; I decided that rather dump it, I would mix the remnants with a cool crisp bottle of Pilsner Urquell, made the experience so much more bearable….

Overall: Probably the worst of the three St. Louis “Premiums” that I tried this weekend.

2.24/5  rDev -30.2%

Well, well, I’ve posted on the forum before about these kind of beers. They are all very recent, contain a very low ABV and taste very artificially. Woman beers, I call them. Created by brewers to get more woman to drink beer. You all didn’t completely agree with my point, but anyway, here’s the review:

A very nice dark-red cherry colour with a cute pink fluffy head. Like all Kriek beers, to get a head, you will have to pour it in with some gentle aggressiveness. But nevertheless, a Kruik head never stays long. Mild carbonation.
Kriek beers are served in every kind of glass available. I had this one in a Stein.
This kriek has a very rich pallet of sweet odours, I thought I spotted a slight bitter hop smell too, but I could have been wrong. The chemical sweet odour is very overpowering.
The first taste gave the impression I was drinking a kind of grenadine sugary syrup. This beer really needs to be ice cold to be consumed. And very hot outside (like today ;-)). Very artificial sweet taste. Just like drinking some apple-cherry lemonade with a drop of alcohol in it.
I was quite surprised, but the aftertaste did have some sweet cherry touches. Still it seemed that these cherry’s where rapped in sticky honey.
The mouthfeel wasn’t any different. A very sweet sugary awareness in the back of your mouth.
Where is the Lambic gone to, I ask you? Quite disappointing…

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
St. Louis Premium Kriek from Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.