Schanzenbräu Schwarzbier | Brauerei Schanzenbräu

Brauerei Schanzenbräu
Germany
schanzenbraeu.de

Style: Schwarzbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Bierman9 on 10-06-2009

3.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Yet another vendor at the Altstadtfest; yet another different bier.... A 0.4l glass set me back 3.10EU.

Had never heard of Schanzenbräu before, so my interest was piqued. They also offered a Hell and a Rot, but I felt like going dark here. My mug was holding a deep, dark brown liquid. Some tinges of mahogany are evident at the edges, otherwise it's dense and opaque. A beige head was finely bubbled, a thin layer giving coverage, though mostly at the edges. Some suds clings well to the glass. A bit of light malt is in the nose, with a touch of choco and a hint of roast. Near-medium in the body category, it was very passable on the tongue.

There's subtle sweetness here, with roasted, bitter dark choco notes present. A suggestion of florality appears in the dryish finish. Overall, a decent bier. Would have liked to try more, but this was my 5th different Altstadfest offering on this day, and my palate needed a rest! Prosit!!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 3.5