Narragansett Lovecraft Series - Innsmouth Olde Ale
Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett Lovecraft Series - Innsmouth Olde AleNarragansett Lovecraft Series - Innsmouth Olde Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
Narragansett Brewing Co.

Rhode Island, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 42 | Ratings: 106 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.21/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Can from the initial Spring 2015 release, so about two years old.

About 3 fingers of dense off-white head. Translucent, dark mahogany body with purple hues. Very little visible carbonation - only a bit when held up to the light. Head reduces to a 1/2 finger. Great lacing.

Starts with sweet dark fruit (raisin and fig), a bit musty. A touch of caramel, honey, and brown sugar. Herbal notes underlying.

Starts with cheap coffee and astringent alcohol. There's some dark fruit and nuttiness peaking through, but it's overwhelmed by the burnt coffee and alcohol notes. Finish is dry and super bitter with metallic notes.

This didn't age well....

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I (obviously) love CANned beer, but the best part (as CANpared to a bottle) is the transference of the graphics. They look SO much better on an aluminum cylinder than on a paper label that the CANparison is often night & day. Even better is when a CANned brewer does an homage to something else that is in my wheelhouse. This is one such instance. I was recently inspired to purchase "Cthulhu's Coloring Book and Necronomicon of Sunny Day Doings" as well as "'C' is for Cthulhu" and I am really enjoying Coloring Hour at my local library on Wednesdays with the former.

From the CAN: "The Lovecraft Series"; "About H.P. Lovecraft [:] H.P. Lovecraft was born in Providence, RI in 1890, the same year Narragansett Beer was founded just down the road. Though he toiled mostly in obscurity in small-press magazines, today he is universally acclaimed as the 'Father of Modern Horror'. Artists from Stephen King, to Neil Gaiman, Metallica and Guillermo del Toro cite him as a direct influence. Our Lovecraft series of collaborations follows the spirit of his 'Cthulhu Mythos', which invited fellow authors to write in the same shared universe of ideas."; "Chapter 1 [:] Dark and churning, like the shadow like the shadow that hangs over the strange, blighted town of Innsmouth, Massachusetts, this ale is said to have powers that keep the Deep Ones at bay. Its origins are only whispered in circles of cult followers from the past, but rumors have it Captain Obed Marsh brought this recipe back from his travels and brewed it in secret batches under the moonlight under the attic of the Inn. Others dismiss the notion as just an age-old tale. What [CAN]not be questioned is that Innsmouth Olde Ale is malty, dark and hearty with a slightly bitter bite like the fishermen of the town, because they know something is lurking in the shadows and under the surface of the restless sea.

The Crack! was more of a "Hsss!" & I backed away as something from within pulled the tab downward into the CAN. With what had they CAN-conditioned this one?!? I looked in and saw all manner of floating creatures, some with half-human/half-fish attributes and more shockingly, a large blob that looked like the amalgam of an octopus and a human, but with large bat-like wings! OMFG! When was the last time that the brewery & CANning line was inspected?!? Amazingly, the finger of dense, light-tan head had not moved since I had CANpleted the pour. I checked my watch and it was now EARLIER than when I had CANmenced this review! What is happening to me?!?! Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with the clarity of the crystal ball of Shoggoth! And still the head had not abated, plus it was even EARLIER than before! The CAN began to clink from its interior & I was forced to put a rock atop the vent to prevent its CANtents from escaping of their own will. Now, the head was larger than ever and it was even EARLIER than the previous two times that I had checked. As I lifted the goblet to my nose, I caught the sweet, dried-dark fruit smell that accompanies the presence of Kassogtha. I warn you, if you smell dried cherries (like kirschwasser), plums & prunes as you traverse a dark alley, it may be too late! Mouthfeel was medium, but incredibly carbonated, inflating inside my mouth like a Flying Polyp & adhering to my teeth & cheeks so that I was unable to swallow. Suddenly, the rock popped off of the CAN's lid and one of Cthulhu's many tentacles took ahold of my throat and began to squeeze. I managed to choke down the dense, dark liquid before I was totally choked off, but now it became a matter of releasing that deadly tentacle, which was no easy task. Inhaling deeply, it was as though Nyarlathotep had breathed his fiery, poisonous breath into my airway! Gahhh. And why is there MORE head than ever and it is now yesterday?!? The lacing in my glass appears and then is washed away by a fresh filling of the glass. In the interim, the CAN has begun to bulge outward and I fear not only for my life, but that of the entire citizenry of Innsmouth! The leathery, dried dark-fruit flavor lingers with me as the CAN splits open & I am overrun by horrific creatures until ... I come to my senses, and run to the upstairs main-bedroom closet, where I keep my aluminum suit & transform into The Cyberleader! I knew that drinking all of those Minhas beers would come in handy! Summoning the Cyberforce, we now engage these monsters in ways that they could never have imagined. The receding & advancing nature of the head no longer matters & the passage of time CAN be left to the accursed Time Lords. I finished the last CANtents, feeling the otherworldly creatures slide down my intake tube to the collection chamber, where they will be transformed & (ahem) discharged to become my minions! H.P. Lovecraft be danged! The Cyberpeople will reign supreme! Find some of this CANtagion, drink it deeply & join us, O my brothers & sisters!

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Been looking forward to trying this, finally got the chance to. Definitely Ganssett's best offering. I may be biased because I love old ales, but this one exceeded my expectations. Great flavor. Honestly, it would be better with a year of age on it

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Burgundy body with an off-white collar. Aromas of raisin, plum, alcohol, cherry. Similar flavor. Light, even thin, body with low carbonation. A touch of vanilla. Decent.

3.99/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Starts as a solid dopplebock flavor, but then turns into that trademark Gansett tinny flavor. Not that the Gansett flavor is bad, it's just not to style.

2.69/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A style I tend to enjoy, so let's see how Gansett can pull it off, I don't have high hopes. Canned with a code but no date.

Pours a crazy large 3 finger creamy foamy head that fades semi slowly, lots of soapy sticky lacing, very clear dark chestnut ruby maroon color.

Nose brings plenty of sweet malts, a toasty reddish malt, also seems like an adjunct corn style thing added, or perhaps straight syrup added to it, maybe a corn syrup, doubt they added something like that but it has a strange aroma like it, a little vegetal gourd earthy aroma, a stale brown malt almost old corn stalk thing, hint of caramel and brown sugar.

Taste starts sweet, again that syrupy character, as well as corn syrup, more like fermented corn stalk with brown sugar, cheap molasses, with a little vegetal gourd thing going again, mushed stalk vegetables. Mild toasty brown malts, brown sugar but no caramel. A little bitterness from some earthy herbal hops. Creamy but thin, really think they used corn syrup. Finish a bit drier, touch sticky, little bitter earthy herbal hops, weird tannic bitterness too, and more lingering vegetal gourd.

Mouth is quite thin, esp for how syrupy sweet it is, really thing they used an adjunct to bring the abv up and the body and everything else down, decent carb.

Overall ick, what a mess... and I thought Gansett was on the up, but then again they are still Gansett.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I swore I would never tell a soul about the horror dealt to me by Narragansett Innsmouth Olde Ale, in hopes that it would decay into anonymity, but its sudden, grotesque appearance in package stores throughout the Greater Boston Area has forced me to speak out.

I first came upon the odious 16oz can at Mad Abdul Alhazred's Discount Liquors in Arkham, MA. It was a wretched establishment, filled with degenerates and decadent neck-beards, but so desperate was I to find a cask of Amontillado to appease my step-nephew that I rushed in. Their sherry selection was appalling, but the proprietor insisted that he had an ale that would fill the void nicely. In such a rush was I that I scarcely gave it a second thought, and departed with that dreadful sixer of tallboys in tow. It was not until I had returned to my rooms at the Lord Whately Inn that the breadth of my blunder was made clear to me.

Appearance: The geometries of Innsmouth Olde Ale were such that would defy the descriptions of an Euclid, and as such I was obliged to decant it into my Klein bottle. A squamous ichor oozed forth, dark amber in colour. It yielded forth a head of terrible density and with a colour I have only seen in the bones of ancient skeletons unearthed in Kathmandu.

Scent: The foetor that assailed my senses was one of the dried fruit of unknown dimensions, as well as a scent I know only from the musty leather which binds that fateful tome, the Necronomicon. The mere scent of the hops was maddening, and to this day I know not if I truly smelt them, or if it were simply the result of some fever-dream.

Taste: One sip, one sip! Oh why did I take that demoniac sip? The cyclopean malts that confronted me will forever haunt my dreams. As with the scent, the flavor dredged up visions of the withered fruit trees that do grow upon the fabled Plateau of Leng, and I sometimes wonder if I went mad then and there.

Mouthfeel: The Stygian viscosity of the ale was an assault upon the psyche, poised in perfect balance with utterly delicate carbonation.

Overall: A lesser mind would be destroyed by this ale – make no mistake of that. I myself do not know that I escaped unscathed. I pray that my warning will do some good, and that this crawling, canned chaos may never again see the light of day.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-Lovecraft Series. Duvel chalice from can. Served initially at 50F. warmed up during session.

A: Light orange pour sits a burgundy in the chalice with a healthy dose of effervesce. Tan colored frumpy head, is one plus inches high, nicely lasting, with a respectable amount of lace coverage.

S: Spicy cola, sweetly toasted grains. Decent initial impression, short lasting duration.

T: Flavor was boozy toasty caramel, with spicy cola, and sweet dark fruit. Hints of dark licorice, warm piney moments with some woodsy hops. Some toasted munich, lightly dry, with a warm honey-nuttiness.

M: Syrupy medium-heavy body, dry booziness.

O: A nice warming booziness,toasty munich-caramel sweetness, spicy cola with a decent drinkability factor. An old world style feel, malty, bittering, a boozy.

3.44/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber. Moderate prune/fruity aroma. Taste is a malty grape and raisin flavor. There's a faint molasses taste in the background. Very well balanced. Better than I expected.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Never been a huge fan of malty brews, but this beer is well done. Pours a really nice dark garnet. The nose is raisins, molasses, and banana bread, slight nutty notes as well. The taste is actually quite balanced. Nice slightly sweet molasses hits you along with several dark fruits, with a strong contribution from some English hops. The beer finishes with a slightly roasted and herbal flavor that is actually smooth and dry.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

Nice to see Narragansett dive into styles like this.Pours into an imperial nonic a deep amber/tawny color with a half finger off white head atop.Aromas of prunes and,caramel,and brown sugar,malt forward like it should be.Caramel and brown sugar flavors stand out with a bit of cakiness,deep fruity notes in the finish.This is an old ale and it's malt forward,a good cold weather beer,should have waited to buy this.Well done.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a sweet tallboy can into a Sam Smith pint. Moderate hand. No identifiable date.

A: Attractive dark amber body with 2 fingers of reasonably dense, off-white head. Nice clarity. Ok retention. Moderate to heavy lacing.

S: Sweet, fruity malt with notes of berry, grape/raisin, black cherry and date. Some English-type hops lurking in the background. A bit of earthy molasses. Perhaps a touch of peat.

T: Roasted malts open with a pronounced sweetness and fruit-forward character. A mild hop bitterness slowly builds to a semi-dry finish. Lingering dark chocolate, hops and a subtle smoke in the aftertaste. Alcohol presence is consistent with 7% ABV.

M: Moderate to light carbonation with a medium to full body. A tad sticky, but very nice feel on the palate.

O: Pretty nice outing. I like the hop character and there are some nice malt notes, but it does lean towards the sweeter end of the spectrum. Not quite cloying, but I wouldn't necessarily be lining up pints of this back to back.

Prost!

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A thanks goes out to the reigning champion of canned beer, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a dark brown color with amber hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is of dark fruits, malts, some sugars. Taste is dark fruits, alcohol, malts, a bit of sweetness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer.

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This looks and smells like a malt-lover's dream. It has a beautiful chestnut color, topped by a two-finger khaki-colored head. I'm picking up plenty of sweetness from the nose, but in a good way - caramel, maple syrup, molasses, and toffee all pervade my senses. I also smell touches of must and leather (typical of an old ale), with just the right hint of hop bitterness lurking beneath it all. It tastes lighter than the nose indicated. I get lots of dry roasted nuts, with touches of dried dark fruit and molasses backing it up. Touches of coffee and even some roast help finish it off. This is not the treacly malt bomb I anticipated/slightly feared. In fact, a small part of me finds it watery. But a more significant part of me likes how such a malty beer can finish so dry and clean. Carbonation isn't intense, this beer is just naturally dry. And despite it all, the finish is very long-lasting. This isn't my favored style, but this one was nailed pretty damn well. Glad I got a six pack, that's for sure.

3.82/5: Hardly a tentacled eldritch abomination, just a damn good beer

3.41/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can into a snifter.

Appearance: great to see this in a true pint sized can; and in a six pack no less for $12. Clear copper with a thick and sticky head that clings to the glass. Nice lacing as well.

Nose: prunes and other dried fruits, slight malt hints but nothing else really.

Taste: creamy and nice, not too thick but with medium body, kinda bitter for an old ale, hops are forward in the taste and it covers up the nice malty backbone, fruity but thats all.

Overall: let this one warm up before you consume. It is flat and one demential when cold, almost harsh from the hops. When it warms up to 50F or so it opens up more with the dried fruits but the hops are still overpowering. I think it is too hoppy for the style. I'm going to let the remaining 3 cans sit for a while and let the hops mellow out.

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can.

Dark reddish-amber with a very good head.

Sweet caramel malt in the aroma (approaches 3.75) and the flavor. Both are spicy, with the higher ABV more evident upon tasting.

Moderately smooth, medium-full body.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

Serving: Can into pint
Served: 9 August 2015

Appearance: Pours a very deep red, so much so that unless held to the light it looks more brownish than anything. Pours with a dirty, tan head that dissipates to just a ring of bubbles and leaves some solid lacing. Looks marvelous, especially when held up to the light.

Smell: Big caramel and molasses notes on the nose, with some astringent metallic notes as well. As other reviewers have said, it smells much like a doppelbock or a dubbel.

Taste: Much like the nose, the taste is dominated by caramel, molasses, date, and honey whole-wheat bread. It really drinks like a doppelbock- I almost can't tell the difference, although as others have intimated, it feels less substantial than a doppelbock.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium-high carbonation. This is what separates it from doppelbocks, I believe.

Overall: Honestly, I think this beer is way underrated here on BA. It's easily the best beer I've had from Narragansett- it's flavorful, interesting, complex, and good looking. It's about reading too, to boot. Hopefully this one can climb a bit higher with time- I believe it's more accurately around an 88 rather than the current 84. Give this one a shot!

4.84/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Package: 6 pack of 16oz cans, 7%abv

This is one hell of a well done beauty of a beer.
Poured from the can into a classic nonic (still my glass of choice for just about any beer), this ale is a very appealing deep amber-to-copper color. The carbonation is absolutely perfect (ie., not over carbonated), but despite lower carbonation than most American beers, it develops a perfect, rocky off-white head of foam that is long lasting.
The flavor is sublime...and even better when not served below around 55°F (any colder than that, and you miss out on the very best of what this ale has to offer: good, rich malt character balanced by a perfect amount of hop bitterness. This product is one of a precious few that offers a nice and expertly well made contrast to the oceans of puckeringly overhopped and unbalanced (almost amateur tasting) ales that are brewed in the USA.
Grab some of this before it disappears completely, since indications are that this is a limited edition product.
The abv is slightly on the low side, and it lacks the long aging and slight tartness that would make it a true traditional "Old Ale", but that's just nitpicking.
This is, without a doubt, a comparatively bargain priced gem that's miles above a lot of other beers that claim the designation "craft". This makes quite a few of them look like posers.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is clear but very dark red in color (dark brown when viewed from afar) and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high beige colored head that gradually died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of brown bread, toasted malts, and raisins are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has additional notes of spicy rye and hints of floral hops. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels a bit more than medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The flavors of this beer come close to approaching those of a doppelbock (especially with the brown bread and raisins) but there is a nice balance with the hops to negate just about all traces of sweetness. If a doppelbock is a dinner in a bottle, this beer is like a lunch in a bottle as it is rather filling.

Serving type: can

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Can. Pours a dark copper or probably brown. Thin, tan head. Caramel, roast, dark fruit. A bit of oxidization. Flavor has a metallic quality that really lingers. No good. Boy that lingers. Most of what is in the nose can be tasted but it's less relevant. Dark fruity, nutty, caramel. Medium bodied. Not a fan. Cheap single can, ho hum.

3.52/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16oz can from Steve000 (thanks man!). Canned 1/8/15. Served in a goblet.

Pours a deep, barely transparent, crimson hued chestnut with almost three full fingers of beige head. A thin veneer of bubbles remains along with a healthy collar that leaves copious lace on the glass.

Smells of caramel, bready malts, vague dark fruits and something I can only describe as "quintessentially beery". Very much reminds me of a Scotch ale.

Taste follows the nose, opening up just a bit. Caramel malts, hints of smoke, grape skins, faint herbal bitterness and a minor alcohol tingle. Even more so than the aroma, the flavors come accross to my palate as what I'm typically used to getting from Scotch ales. It isn't bad at all but just doesn't seem to fit my view of the style.

Body on the lighter side of medium with fairly sharp carbonation. Slightly charred malts, caramel and those slightly bitter herbal notes play in the aftertaste.

I kmow that style lines are often blurred but Innsmouth Olde Ale seems more of a Scotch ale with it's smokey notes, lighter body and lower alcohol than I'm used to in an old ale. While no aspect was at all bad (in fact it looks downright beautiful), I did score a bit lower than I would have if I agreed with the style label.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

16oz can poured into a small snifter.

A: Ruby red color with great clarity. Tight, off-white head settles into a thin crown. Thin veil of lacing slides back into the beer.

S: Scones, grain, caramel, hint of milk chocolate, whiff of grape candy. Touch of hollow, grassy hops.

T: Candy sweet malt flavors. Toast, caramel, nutty, grain. Candy shell and grape hard candy. Scones. Quick bite of rye at the back. Hollow hop bitterness and not much hop flavor besides a quick herbal/grassy hit. Nutty, caramel finish.

M: Medium bodied. Slight chewy/creamy texture, though it sits lighter than expected in the mouth. Low tingling carbonation.

O: Meh, just ok. Overly simple. Not much depth of malt character, and what's there takes on a rather artificial candy-sweet tone. The body is lighter than expected as well. Possibly some adjuncts at work, or at least a lot of specialty malt.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Other than being carbonated as such, this drinks more like a dopplebock than an old ale, but it was tasty no matter what you call it. Has a nice combination of dark fruit flavors (fig/raison/prune) and an ever so slight bitterness on the finish. Malts combine that sweetness from the dark fruit essence with a biscuity caramel quality.

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap 7/5/2015 at The Taphouse in Fall River, MA served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark coppery red color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains honey, brown sugar, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of honey, caramel and brown sugar. Then a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in. The hops presence is mild but complementary and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, this is solid beer to drink for a while.

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It pours a clear, deep copper with two fingers of creamy khaki head. Thick lacing and excellent head retention. The nose is pleasant, Showing some earthy/musty, nutty, and toffee aromas along with subdued notes of dried fig and raisins.
Strong tastes of toffee and dried fruits on the palate. The alcohol is hidden to an extent, but it makes an appearance in the finish alongside a nondescript nuttiness and more of the aforementioned dried fruit. It's heavy bodied and filling.
Overall, it's alright. I've had better old ales, but this satisfied my craving without breaking the bank.

Narragansett Lovecraft Series - Innsmouth Olde Ale from Narragansett Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 85 out of 100 with 106 ratings