Narragansett Bock | Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett BockNarragansett Bock

Narragansett Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States
narragansettbeer.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Availability: Spring

Brewed with Light and Dark Munich malts, Pilsner Malt, and Malted Wheat. It is hopped with Northern Brewers and Hallertau hops. Northern Brewers is a clean bittering hop and Hallertau is a classic German aroma hop associated with Bavarian style lager beers.

Added by Jason on 03-01-2011

1.44/5  rDev -62.8%

I don't understand the reviews posted on this beer. Unless I got a bad batch for my six pack - this is one of the most atrocious beers I've ever had.

At first sip, and all the way through, I received a very off, skunky tasted. In two attempts, I could not finish the 16 oz. can. I enjoy the porter far more.

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.49/5  rDev -35.7%

16oz can

Attractive dark gold with brilliant clarity. Head is ample, retention and lacing are very good.

The aroma is of sweet, bready malts and some medicinal hops.

Flavor is balanced, leaning slightly towards the bitter. Solid hop flavor is balanced by a grainy, toasty malt sweetness. The finish is clean, but mid-palate has some husky and dirty flavors that I'm not wild about. Mouthfeel is average, medium-low forced carbonation, not very creamy.

A decent Bock, though not a repeat purchase for me.

***EDIT 3/16/13
Just attempted to drink a can of this stuff and I could not do it. Had a harshness to it and a good bit of diacetyl. Metallic as well. Bleh!

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden amber/brownish color with a small but tight egg-shell colored head. The head has some staying power. Very "dirty" looking for a helles bock.

The aroma is slightly grainy but has a prune/raisin scent to it. Perhaps this is past its prime but in a can I would think it would hold up. Not much from the doughy munich malt which is typical for the style.

I get more fruity notes than the traditional doughy notes of a helles bock. I would expect these flavors from a dopplebock but not a helles bock. Noticable raisin flavor dominates the brew. Some honey notes but none of the spice/pepper that you get from the malt and hops.

The feel is light with airy carbonation. Not as heavy as I would expect a bock to be but it is quite drinkable. Definitely sweet on the palate but nowhere near cloying. It has that lager clean finish.

I am usually pretty satisifed with Naragansett but they missed the mark with this beer. Doesn't really resemble a helles bock.

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1/4 inch head, orange-brown in color, clear

Smell: toasted malt and faint orange

Taste: toasted malt, caramel, and floral hops

Mouthfeel: sweet with a slightly bitter backbone, medium-high carbonation, light body, very dry

Overall: In the cans I got, the hops actually came through a bit too much. This one is a one and done for me. I wanted a bit more balance. This almost tasted more like an English pale ale.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from the can into a stemmed glass. Dark orange colored body, plenty of carbonation, and a thick head. A promising start. There is a bit of sweetness to the aroma. Then it all goes downhill from here. Flavor was pretty mediocre. Malty, with nothing else showing. The mouthfeel on this beer is nasty. Sticky and medicine-like. Leaves a gross vegetable flavor on my palate that I cannot remove. Not a pleasure at all to drink. Struggled with finishing just half a can. Not good.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a medium amber with an off-white, almost tan head. Decent lace but crap retention.
Smell is malt, apple and light hops. Balance is alright.
Taste is malt, apple, light citrus, vanilla (light). Decent balance. Decent complexity.
Medium full body with middle of the road effervescence. Somewhat warming. Pretty smooth, too. I'd have again, despite the can though the porter is better.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass. The color is golden and there is a large off-white head. Lacing = very sticky.

The aroma is citrusy with some spice. A hint of malt sweetness is detected.

The taste is mildy sweet, with light malt flavor leading into a slightly punchy finish.

The body is medium, with soft carbonation.

I like the aroma, but the flavor is middling (though inoffensive). I would politely drink this when offered, but nothing I'd pick up again.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

16 oz. can poured into a pint glass. Thanks to BennyL1 for this!

Appearance - Big fluffy head, despite a careful pour. Amber body that is totally transparent. The head is gone quickly and some lacing remains, but that disappears quickly too.

Smell - Malt-dominant. Almost exclusively caramel. Not really a whole lot else going on.

Taste - Good caramel flavor to start. Not much sweetness, considering the maltiness. Certainly the malts are on display here, as they should be. After the malts is a hoppiness with a metallic flavor that is not pleasing. It's unbalanced at the ends because the malt flavor doesn't carry all the way through the finish.

Mouthfeel - I wouldn't say full-bodied, but it isn't light. It's a surprisingly refreshing beer, considering it's weight. Not a tremendous amount of carbonation, considering the display of a head it gave.

Overall - It was ok at best. The aftertaste really killed it for me. A stronger flavor and I could have forgiven it, but not my favorite bock by any means.

Narragansett Bock from Narragansett Brewing Co.