Narragansett Summer Ale | Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett Summer AleNarragansett Summer Ale

Rhode Island, United States
narragansettbeer.com

Style: American Blonde Ale

Availability: Summer

Narragansett Summer is a light session ale made with two row pale malt and citra hops. The citra hops are a very popular, newer variety that deliver aromas of citrus and passion fruit without overpowering the taste buds. The beer is blonde in color and the mild kiss of the hops complement the pale malt perfectly, making it extremely drinkable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-15-2011

1.06/5  rDev -70.7%

this beer scores in the 80s? Really?

I'm losing all respect for BA as I write this...

Maybe my own fault for swiping a can from my dad after drinking two Firestone Walker Double IPAs, but this is horrid.

It has no redeeming qualities, other than I assume it's dirt cheap?

1.59/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Haven't had a beer this bad in a while.

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

I paired this with the season finale of True Detective's second season. I feel as good about the show as I did about this beer. It was underwhelming on all fronts. Not much to smell, not much to taste. For a "crushable summer brew" this offers none of the flavor you'd want in that kind of beer. Never again.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

2.28/5  rDev -37%

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.56/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

16oz. can poured into a standard pint glass

A non-aggressive pour produced a one finger-sized head of impressive creaminess. Good lacings were left behind as it dissipated. The color is bright and clean and very similar to their Lager.

I really had to jam my nose into the glass to pick up any aroma. What I eventually got was a sharp hoppiness with almost a sweet vinegar-y bite. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. As I let it settle, more citrus hoppiness revealed itself.

The taste was a letdown, in my opinion. My first thing was "uninspired American Pale Ale." The sharp note in the aroma does not translate into the taste. I can taste the hops, but they seem conflicted, almost bored...as if they're looking to find a cooler backyard BBQ to hang out at than yours. The bland finish and forgettable aftertaste left me wanting something else for the round.

With so many better summer seasonals available, I wouldn't recommend, but be sure to try for yourself.

2.62/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Regular beer taste - better summer ales out there

Narragansett Summer Ale from Narragansett Brewing Co.