Narragansett Lager | Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager
3.36/5
Okay
Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States
narragansettbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

Added by Todd on 09-29-2003

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,362 |  Reviews: 420
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

4.02/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's a beer that's about as good as you can get for the price and it makes you feel like a real New Englander when you're drinking it while watching the Sox.

3.93/5  rDev +17%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I've been looking for another cheap and decent crush-able beer to add to my stable and it looks like I've found it! A little bit malty and sweet yet with a jab of bitterness. Tastes great super-cold as my first beer of the day. Not too shabby at $5.99 for a sixer of tall boys.

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

3.64/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked this up simply because of the can - I thought it looked good - and I'm glad I did...

The beer came out of the can with a flourish, pouring a white foam top that dissipated quickly but what remained was appealing to the eyes. The smell was not your run-of-the-mill lager scent - it was a sweet, malty odor with hints of bread and it;s underlying yeast. Mouthfeel was mostly carbonated, a tad watery, but not so that it was distracting. Taste-wise, I found it to be decent enough, nothing that made it stand out but nothing that I found 'offensive'. Overall it's a decent lager, better than most but not overly distinctive than others.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Naraganrag... whatever, pours as expected. Beautiful, golden, clear. A healthy white foam rests proudly above, and fights for every last millimeter, ultimately losing to gravity. But not without purpose, as little spots of lacing and a delicate surface coverage remain.

Sweet corn meal and a dusty earthiness dominate the nose. A few blades of dried grass and a touch of tart apple lie underneath. Stomach acid comes to mind, but I'm gonna ignore that as it may just be from last night's bender...

Ultimately, the flavor is unoffensive. Sweet corn syrup mostly, but in a good way. A little white bread too, and just the slightest but of that dusty earthy hop finish.

Naganstetag... this beer has a pretty decent body. A little richer than the AALs I've been enjoying lately. Still crisp and refreshing enough with it's moderate carbonation. No question, this is on the sweeter side though.

All in all, this is another solid budget beer. I'll throw in some names if it helps, but Olympia, Rainier, and Hamm's are my choices over this, but it ain't far behind. Cheers.

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from 16-ounce can into a lager flute. I have to say that if you're drinking this out of the can, you're missing out on one of the most beautiful AAL's in existence. Clear golden color, tons of thick, white head, and fantastic head retention with scads of pretty lacing. Lots of complexity to the aroma and flavor profiles. with a rich malty note and a peppery and spicy hop finish. Quite crisp, with an understated sweetness and a touch of malt lingering on the palate. As an added bonus, the can lists a recipe for clam boil featuring 'Gansett as an ingredient. Overall, an outstanding beer.

2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

3.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

3.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Great lager

3.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Decided to try this after it was recommended over and over by devoted admirers at the big-box liquor store I work at. I feel pretty let down by this beer after all those guys waxed poetic over it, but I suspect the appeal is mostly based on the memories and culture of a life spent in New England - this beer probably tastes like home to them. To me, it did nothing to knock my socks off... Pours very clear with nice bubbles and a decent 1/2-inch head, deep golden color. I can't quite place the smell OR the flavor as neither stands out -- something between light cracker malt and a dry apple cider. I would really only recommend this beer if you're going to cheer on the Pats with a bowl of clam chowdah in front of you for the full experience - something this vegetarian Giants fan has no intention of doing!

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

For an AAL, this is a quite enjoyable beer.

Yes, the dreaded qualifier. But I stand by it, as for me there is a good time to have this type of beer, and in those times, I’d quite enjoy one of these. But is it more enjoyable than a Stone IPA or a Two Hearted in any random situation? To me, no.

So, okay...

Pours a medium golden and clear. Initial head is decent, medium collar for half the pour, and a thinner one ‘til the end. Only a few spots of lace.

Nose isn’t strong, but has a typical lager grain and corn nose - but I get an additional light dry grass note, a hint of mild citrus and a slight metallic note. My first try I got the slightest hint of skunk that wasn’t distracting at all, but don’t notice it my second try.

Taste is actually a nice balance of semi-seeet malt with a neutral bitterness to open. A mostly light dry grass bitterness tugs at my palate, but there’s also a very light sweet citrus note.

The feel isn’t too light - though it is light enough as to not betray the style. Tickling carbonation refrains from prickliness and lasts well into the pour.

Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.36 out of 5 with 1,362 ratings