Narragansett Lager | Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States
narragansettbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

Added by Todd on 09-29-2003

Ratings: 1,266 |  Reviews: 396

HOW is this so bad, when the other offerings are mostly decent?

1.15/5  rDev -66.4%

plehh. really? i don't really know for sure but i think I'd rather drink bud light any day.

1.25/5  rDev -63.5%

1.25/5  rDev -63.5%

1.38/5  rDev -59.6%

This thing is just one of the worst beers I've had. Honestly. It's light with absolutely no head. There is almost no smell on this one and what is there is pretty light. The taste? Where is it anyways? And I can literally only drink one of these before I need something more complex. I've tried drinking a second, and I had to stop.

473 ml can.

It pours a pale gold with a soapy white head that doesn't leave much lacing.

Smell is almost of nothing, there is more malt than sourness like sot AALs, but the corn is still annoying and there.

The flavor has a metallic sourness, some vegetal flavor, artificial sweetener, and some water. The mouthfeel is really watery.

Bad beer, not sure where the hype came from?, almost guaranteed from the name.

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.57/5  rDev -54.1%

1.67/5  rDev -51.2%

In a convenience store, I had the choice of macro beers...Miller HighLife, $3.99 for six tallboys, or Narragansett Lager
$8.99 for the same. I bought the Miller and my friend the Narragansett. I poured a sample of Miller for her and the rest of her 'ganset sat unfinished and warm on the counter. Nine bucks for a cheap-tasting corn beverage? Not a trace of hops at any point..tasted the same cold and warm. If anything gathers dust in the fridge, the remaining cans are doing so now .

1.71/5  rDev -50%

Pours a yellowish amber color with a foamy white head. Tons of bubbles throughout. Pretty much as expected.

Has a sickly sweet aroma of slight grainy malt and corn sugar.

Also has a very sweet grainy corn sugar flavor. No hops to be found. Pretty flavorless, Very watered down and a slightly astringent aftertaste.

Very fizzy, but also somewhat smooth.

I bought this beer on a whim at the store because they were doing a promotion and giving away a free pint glass with a six-pack. The thimble size sample wasn't bad in the store, but I was sorely disappointed after getting home. I got through the first one, but didn't try one again for a couple weeks. I got through a couple sips and it was off to the drain with the rest of them.

A very disappointing beer.

1.8/5  rDev -47.4%

1.8/5  rDev -47.4%

Tall-boy into a pint glass. This one was a gift from a couple friends who were vocally abusive of this beer and wanted to get rid of it; I gladly accepted, and now hope to find some depth and nuance that they missed. I'm not sure what to expect, though, since my tastes in beer run pretty much along the same lines as my friends - we all love hoppy beers, and prefer High Life when price and/or quantity become dominant factors. Both of my friends swore that 'Gansett was the worst macro they'd ever had; reviews here seem to indicate quite the opposite. Here goes nothing.

A: Crystal clear, pale yellow (almost greenish against a white background), and very fizzy. A small white head comes and goes, leaving just the thinnest layer of bubbles on top. Pretty much no lacing. Even judged according to style, this is a disappointing-looking beer.

S: Hardly any aroma; maybe some corn.

T: Starts out with some sweetness, but it tastes more like corn than grain; some fresh yeastiness is fairly appetizing; no hops to be found; oh, good God, it finishes like dirty salt water. It's like a took a sip of a decent macro lager, and then, before I could swallow, some malicious gnome came and replaced it with Don Johnson's crotch-sweat. Appalling. I'm sticking with it, though, and as I continue to drink the yeastiness becomes more apparent and it tastes even better; unfortunately, the rancid aftertaste just won't stop coming back to torture me.

M: After experiencing the aftertaste of this beer, I have to exercise my utmost in beer respectation to follow through with a separate grade for mouthfeel - it's actually pretty darn good. Lots of smooth carbonation and a surprisingly rich body. Too bad every sip makes the journey from smooth tastiness to the depths of dank, salty hell.

D: Simply non-existent. I'm toying with the idea of sending this one back home to the sewer, but I'm actually sort of enjoying the experience of such an interestingly polarized beer.

Notes: If it weren't for the aftertaste, this might be one of my favorite adjunct lagers; with the aftertaste, it's one of the most nauseating beverages ever to cross my lips voluntarily. Overall, it really isn't nearly as bad as some truly revolting macros, but I was extremely disappointed after having seen so many relatively positive reviews. Perhaps it was an off can (no idea when it was canned), but I can't say that I'll be seeking this one out again. I'll be sticking with the High Life when circumstances preclude Ruination or Raspy.

Cheers!

1.83/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

12/29/2013
Aroma is barley and sour. Pale yellow orange. No head. Taste is Vegetables, grapefruit. Weak carbonation. Not good , but some character exists."

1.95/5  rDev -43%

1.96/5  rDev -42.7%

1.99/5  rDev -41.8%

overall, the best tasting cheap beer out there. However, I find it hard to drink more than one due to the taste. The best way to enjoy a Narragansett is to mix 3-4 ounces of a good craft beer with a tall boy. it totally changes the poor taste into something extremely drinkable . Don't knock it till you try it this way. Easy on the wallet this way. mixes great with any style of good beer.

Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.