Narragansett Lager | Narragansett Brewing Co.

Narragansett LagerNarragansett Lager

Narragansett Brewing Co.
Rhode Island, United States
narragansettbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock.

Added by Todd on 09-29-2003

Ratings: 1,274 |  Reviews: 398
3.25/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Got it because I watched Jaws one night and couldn't resist the throwback can. It's okay. Show me the way to go home so we can get a bigger boat.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Not bad for a lager

3.9/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev +10.2%

3.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours golden yellow with very thick head and decent lacing. Smells of corn, mild hops, cereal. The taste is very good, reminds me of how beer was back in the day. Great corn flavor, hops are decent, overall this is a fantastic beer, I could drink these all day in the pool, very good taste and easy to drink down.

3.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Light, crisp and refreshing, the goal of Narragansett with their lager is to stay true to American lager roots while tightening its flavor for a concise and no nonsense approach. Its lightness isn't intended to dazzle the senses with any type of culinary esteem, but rather to appease the masses.

Narragansett Lager does just that. Its pale straw pour is bright while its froth is softly of lather. Fresh graininess wafts about the glass along with light floral hops, a grassy and peppery scent, and an overall rawness. Grain sweetness offers a familiar barley taste of baking bread and light honey.

The middle palate is one of transition. Its floral, flowery character is fleeting and the creamy grains stroll through a quick corn sweetness and bouts with sulfur. Apple and lemon shed a light on nuances from esters, hops and yeast spices. Grassy in finish, the beer's moderate bitterness balances the beer and trails with a crisp lemon pepper tingle.

Medium bodied for an American lager, the beer's firm creaminess is a tribute to corn while an overall cereal sweetness plays on the finish. A quick aftertaste of raw grain and spicy hops lay tracks of grassiness on the finish.

2.8/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

2.99/5  rDev -12.6%

4.44/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Everyday beer for every man
If Bud is McDonalds and PBR is Burger King this is Five Guys

3.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a clear pale golden color with a two finger, fluffy white head. Retention on the first pour was moderate, but then after I topped off my glass and finished the can it left a half finger cap that lasted for quite some time. There is a decent amount of spotted lacing left on the glass.

Smell is cereal grains, grassiness, floral, bread and dough.

Taste is the same with a mild hop bitterness.

Feel is light and smooth with moderate carbonation. Very easy drinking, but not flavorless like many other AALs.

Overall this is a decent beer. If I was able to rate this in a vacuum with only other AALs it would be up there for the best I've had, and although I wouldn't turn this down on a hot summer day, it is nothing incredible. Although I'm not sure it's meant to be.

2.36/5  rDev -31%

I've had this on at least two different occasions. First time was straight from the can just like Robert Shaw does in Jaws. Second time I poured this brew into a 16 ounce plastic cup. The beer poured straw yellow with some decent foam. I got some lacing as well. The aroma as far as I could tell was faint. Mouth feel was smooth with clear water. The finish was refreshing and crisp despite the fact it was a little watery. However I did not count that as a negative. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this beer was. I had only bought it because of that scene in Jaws with Quint drinking it. Silly I know. Narragansett makes in my opinion a terrific beach/boat beer. Kudos to the brewery.

3.91/5  rDev +14.3%

My last of the pint cans from the six-pack I picked up during a trip up to the northern edge of the state, where unfamiliar beers from further north (and from other countries) actually get distributed. Can't find a canned-on or best-by date, but a mysterious code on the bottom says "C177." Wonder if maybe that's a canning date of March 17th, 2017 -- C for third month, 17 for 17th, 7 for 2017? I'd have to look it up to be sure.

The beer pours pale yellow, settling into a darker yellow/pale golden color once in the glass. It's certainly darker than most of the standard AALs -- Budweiser or Miller High Life for example, or even most of the Mexican imports. Forms a halfway-decent head of white foam on top upon pouring, but this fades away into a thin patchy layer on top fairly quickly. The beer is very clear, with slow streams of bubbles rising from several places along the bottom. For an AAL it has a pretty nice look to it -- would've scored it even higher if the foam had stuck around a little longer. Pouring the remainder of the can into the glass after drinking about half causes the head for fizz back to life for just a few seconds, then fade away into basically nothing.

The smell is mild overall, but a light barley malt is definitely present -- a bready, "beery" sort of smell right away as soon as I began pouring. Unlike some of the worse AALs, there is never any question that this is indeed a beer and not some other mysterious fizzy drink of unknown origin. There's some sweetness and corn-husky funk hanging around too, pretty much even with the malt as far as what stands out the most. As it warms, the corn becomes by far the most prominent feature of the smell.

Taste is similar to the smell -- there's sweet corn, a corn-husky thing, a bit of a paler barley malt that comes across as just slightly bready. Something earthy and planty pops in on the end, I can only assume this is coming from hops as it stands out from the corn-husky flavor. Actually pretty dry for a beer with such a prominent sweet/corn presence in the flavor, the sweetness never seems as prominent as in some of the other AAL-type beers.

Feel is light and fizzy, as expected for the style. Not prickly or uncomfortably fizzy, though -- the carbonation is present but not obnoxiously so. Very drinkable for sure; I could see myself finishing off two or even three of these pint cans in a row. Light but not watery, which is definitely a plus, especially for a style of beer that very often does drift into watery territory. It's substantial enough that it lingers in the mouth a bit after you drink some, just a slight breadiness hanging on for a little while. Even the last few ounces don't have that "thinning out and getting watery" thing going on.

Overall -- this is almost certainly my favorite in the AAL category so far. It was the clear winner when I did a blind taste-test a while back between this one, High Life, and Modelo, and throughout five more cans, some with food and some alone, it was still enjoyable every time -- I'm almost wishing I'd bought two six-packs instead of just the one when I had the chance, because I could go for another one right now!

3.46/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

1.67/5  rDev -51.2%

In a convenience store, I had the choice of macro beers...Miller HighLife, $3.99 for six tallboys, or Narragansett Lager
$8.99 for the same. I bought the Miller and my friend the Narragansett. I poured a sample of Miller for her and the rest of her 'ganset sat unfinished and warm on the counter. Nine bucks for a cheap-tasting corn beverage? Not a trace of hops at any point..tasted the same cold and warm. If anything gathers dust in the fridge, the remaining cans are doing so now .

3.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I am more tolerant of macros than most people on this site. With that being said it does have more flavor than most other macros...I could see fans of both micros and macros liking this one.

Narragansett Lager from Narragansett Brewing Co.