BrouCzech Lager (Brouček Beer) | Nova Paka Brewery

BrouCzech Lager (Brouček Beer)BrouCzech Lager (Brouček Beer)

Nova Paka Brewery
Czech Republic
novopackepivo.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by KTCamm on 11-02-2009

3.2

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.91/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

BrouCzech got half of the appearance right: its pristine, shimmering gold complexion is peppered with tiny bubbles. It looks brilliant, though it's missing a head. One would expect such active and consistent carbonation to produce a healthy, long-lasting lather but, alas, even the trim around the glass requires a magnifying glass to spot.

Czech pilsners are distinguished by their floral, almost spicy hoppiness, the contribution of the country's flagship hop: Saaz. For the unfamiliar, it is a wonderful and distinct scent, not so tropical or piny as 'New World' varietals, that offers a more rustic and herbal yet highly ambrosial bouquet. It helps define European lagers and is renown for this style especially.

But not this specific brand. BrouCzech leaves plenty to be desired. The aroma contains virtually none of the characteristics described above. And while I have no suspicions of adjunct, the maltiness it displays is also incredibly lackluster. There's a slight cardboard/ newspaper tinge that suggests staleness even though there's almost a year before the stamped 'best before'.

The palate really fares no better. The grain again lacks any richness, complexity or even the basic subtle bready sweetness. The finish, in place of a floral or spicy bitterness, allows the wet cardboard taste to carry on unabated. It actually becomes a little unpleasant once the chill wears off. I definitely look for more hop character and cleaner maltiness from this style.

The label doesn't just state that the brewery has been around since 1872 but that this lager has been brewed the same way ever since. I'm sure the technique hasn't changed but really doubt that the recipe hasn't - suppliers, consumer tastes, costs, brewmasters - all these things change over time. Even it hasn't, maybe it aught to have... BrouCzech should be better.

3.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

355 mL bottle from a six-pack picked up at The Beer Store; best before Mar 3 2017 and served well-chilled. I cracked a few bottles last night and wasn't super-impressed, but now that I have time to mull this lager over in a bit more depth, I'll try to give it a fair shake.

Pours crystal clear golden-yellow in hue, with one finger of soapy white head that wilts off within the next minute or two. A thin collar and film remain; minimal lacing. Average-looking pale lager. Nothing particularly notable about the nose, in either a good or bad sense - I'm getting some lightly doughy, grainy malt sweetness and a touch of diacetyl, with hints of grassy, leafy, floral continental hops.

A few other reviews have mentioned metallicity in the flavour profile, which is one of the first things I noticed about this beer with yesterday's bottles. It's not a crippling problem, but it prevents this otherwise-passable lager from being something I'd go to on a regular basis. Beyond that, it's a very straightforward pils - grainy, bready barley malt flavours, with grassy, floral hops drying out the palate on the back end. Light in body; a tad thin/watery, with moderate carbonation levels that seem a little weak for this style. Refreshing and easy to gulp, if nothing else.

Final Grade: 3.31, a B-. I'll be blunt - I don't think BrouCzech Lager is one of the better Czech pilseners I've tried over the years, but at $11/sixer (quite cheap by this region's standards), I really wasn't expecting much to begin with. I have a fondness for the classic Czech pilseners - but if you ask me, BrouCzech is a little closer to those "sub-pilsener" imports that are shipped out of places like Poland, Czech, Lithuania, etc. That is to say, they're hoppier (and arguably better) than the heavily marketed pale lagers like Stella/Heineken, but not quite as clean or well-crafted as the premium brands from Czech or Germany. More of a Kozel than a PU or Budvar, if you get my drift. If you appreciate Euro lagers and are on a budget, BrouCzech is probably worth a gamble.

2.95/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.51/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A dark Pilsner with a big foamy head and good lace retention throughout. Grainy, malty and somewhat floral aroma. Malty taste with mild hops. Light feel and low carbonation. Not overly flavorful in terms of taste; simple not complex and slightly watery. The low carbonation is a tad off putting considering I like pilsners and lagers in general to be crisp. Not a bad brew that has its qualities, but not something I will seek out too often.

3.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

2.7/5  rDev -15.6%

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

Remember to review for the style folks!!

Appearance: Thick off-white head that lingers, gold/caramel/semi-clear appearance, lots of streaming bubbles.

Smell: Mild hops, roasted barley, fresh cut grass, very pleasing

Taste: Beautifully balanced, round; baked rye bread, mild citrus rind, caramel, malted milk...finishes dry and refreshing with a nice hint of bitterness on the back taste

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, very soft on the palette.

World Class for the style. If you like Czechvar, you'll love this one.

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

Photo of
4.32/5  rDev +35%

Picked it up at my local Food Emporium f/k/a the good ole A&P...in the traditional "1 pt., 0.9 Fl. Oz." bottle (500 ML) as depicted here. I don't know what it is about this beer, but I LOVE IT!! Whatever you do - DO NOT listen to these lackluster reviews without first trying it for yourself. I have wracked my brain to come up with a good way to describe this beer and I think the best I can do is compare it to another great beer: it reminds me of Weihenstephaner Original, which I actually prefer to the more highly regarded Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, except that BrouCzech Lager has a bit more "bite" to it. The extra bite actually makes it better in my book. And by "bite" I mean...hmmm...well, flavor I guess. In any case, do yourself a favor and give it a try. Another thing in its favor: it seems to be somewhat more moderately priced than other imports...at least that's my impression.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast