471 Small Batch IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

471 is a small batch, limited edition ale that was created by our Brewmaster to separate the weak from the strong. 471 is a double IPA, that combines Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness than you've ever had at one time. Enjoy.

Added by mschofield on 08-09-2004

Liked:
3.92/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,315 |  Reviews: 816

1.06/5  rDev -73%

This beer tasted like it had been stored in an old barrel. The wood flavor and smell is dominate. Bought a bottle at Costco because the brewery is usually pretty good. However on the first poor you get a foul sour smell and the taste is not much different. The problem is with the tortured style of a DIPA. You get almost not hoppiness and all alcohol.

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

1.26/5  rDev -67.9%

Not as advertised this is more of a brown ale.

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.52/5  rDev -61.2%

Maybe it was just a bad bottle that I had, but this was really not drinkable. I washed and thoroughly rinsed the pint glass before putting this in.

Coloring was nice; lighter orange with a decent head.

First waft of smell made me push it away. Smelled faintly of garlic and sour milk.

Taste was some combo of that.

Maybe just a bad bottle judging by everyone elses review, but really not pleasant.

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.99/5  rDev -49.2%

Pours a pale, pumpkin hued straw color with a puffy white head. Ropey lacing and little retention with lots of tiny sediment particles.

The smell comes off somewhat stale at first. I get a lot of dingy basement, toasty malts and some numbed pine resin scents. There is a very apparent alcohol and some unrefined citrus notes poke through as well.

Holy booze fest. The taste kicks off with a marginal amount of pine, but that is hard to think about when you swallow and damn near need a chaser. Somewhere in the heavy alcohol flavor, grapefruit struggles to make an appearance. The bitterness is quite low and can't really stand up to the booze. The malts come with a bread like flavor that doesn't really add much to the enjoyment of the brew. The alcohol dies a little as I continue to sip, but I can feel it all the way down the pipe in to my stomach.

Mouthfeel is ok, not syrupy and a tad under carbonated in my opinion.

Overall I am very disappointed. Maybe I drank it too warm, but I'm not too sure I will even finish the bomber. Overpowering alcohol and very little complexity. I hate to bag on a brew, but this was bad.

2.01/5  rDev -48.7%

A- Pours a hazy orange/yellow body with a good 2-finger white head that drops halfway then sticks around for a while. Some nice lacing.

S- Wow. I really hope this is an old bottle and not how this should smell. Barely a hint of grassy hops, but all caramel malts, very sweet. I can't believe this is anything more than an all malt beer. Absolutely terrible for a DIPA.

T- Not much better than the smell. All caramel malts with more sweetness. Very little, if any, hop presence.

MF- A nice medium bodied beer that has good carbonation level.

O- Again, I hope this was just an old bottle because this was horrendous. Almost no hop anything in this beer: No taste. No aroma. Nothing.

2.19/5  rDev -44.1%

12oz bottle (whose packagin still refers to itself as a Bomber...) drank on 6/4/06.

Clear golden-amber brew with a moderate off-white head.

Very estery malty sweet nose, almost champagne-like, and definitely containing too much acetylhyde!

Starts out champagne like on the tongue at first, with a hint of sweet malt. Hops are green, like chewin' on hop pellets, a little greasy and resinous with lots of resinous aftertaste.

This tastes incomplete, like unfinished beer not done with the last steps of fermentation and conditioning. Full of acetylhyde and champagne-like esthers. I don't believe this to have been infected, as I've tasted unfinished and infected beer. This was definitely like the former.

Typical pale body.

I'll try this again, a long time from now. Perhaps it will be done fermenting by then...

2.23/5  rDev -43.1%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a semi-transparent copper color with two fingers of just off white, creamy head. Retention is solid given the high abv. Generic.

S - Sweet caramel, light citrus and pine hops notes, and a strange metallic note. Simple but seemingly balanced.

T - Heavy pale malts open to a strange metallic and orange/lemon note. Muted, dull hops on the finish. Bitterness comes through on the climax. No regard for balance whatsoever. Boozy throughout. Very poorly built. I'm missing the fresh hops notes.

M - Smooth, oily and wet.

D - The heavy alcohol, imbalance of flavors and off flavor make this one hard to drink. I'm not having it. Poor example of the style.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

I had been eyeballing this for a few weeks now and decided to go ahead and pick this one up. After it was all said and done, I'm glad I picked it up. Because I know not to buy it again now.

A - pours a thick orange color with a good amount of head. Very cloudy and looks like a very flavorful beer.

S - Pleasant smelling, very light. You can definitely pick out the hops here.

T - BITTER! This took me by surprise. I might be able to drink this beer if it wasn't for the unpleasant after taste about 5 seconds after the swallow.

M - Thin and oily. Not much else to say.

D - Thought my sink was gonna spit this back up.

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%

Thanks to mnjeff, again, for this one! My first beer from Breckenridge.

I poured a bottle of it into my brand new 20 oz 'gansett glass. Why the hell not!?! This beer is really cloudy. Like really cloudy. The head on it is fluffy, like someone dumped a marshmallow on this thing. There's also some very thick lacing. It has a light amber color to it. Kind of like piss when your are really dehydrated. This beer is fucking gorgeous, but whats with it being so insanely cloudy?

The aroma has a lot of carmel in it. Maybe some light biscuit. Seems like this might have an excellent malt back bone to it to balance out these spicy hops. Alcohol is pretty prevalant.

(First sip) Whoa! I don't know what happened here. There's a big amount of alcohol that is only concentrated by a spicy hop flavor. The sweetness of the carmel I smelled in the aroma hits your tongue for a split second and then kind of lingers in the background.

(Couple more sips) It's just very bitter and has too much alcohol flavor. This beer is hot on the back of the tongue and has a burn going down your throat. It's definitely a little different from most big IPAs I've had but I don't think it's all working here.

This beer is the definition of palate fatigue. Getting farther down the glass I can barely taste the beer anymore. It could warm you up in these freezing temperatures but I don't think I would drink another one of these.

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

9.2% ABV confirmed. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an Odell 90 shilling pilsner glass in my friend's gaff in Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and very good retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Typical appearance for the style.

Sm: Floral hops - in too high a density to be appealing. Lacks subtlety, to say the least. Candied caramel notes are heavy. A fairly strong aroma.

T: Candied caramel, a metallic note, and terrible wretched floral hopping - as badly executed as I've ever encountered. No alcohol comes through. Too sweet. This is quite bad; one of the poorest executed IPAs I've had in a long time. Absurdly imbalanced. Not at all tasty. Few redeeming characteristics; maybe the hint of pale malt in the foundation. Too bitter on the climax.

Mf: Smooth and wet; definitely too smooth. Artificial with a metallic twang. Doesn't suit the style well at all. Overcarbonated. A bit too thick.

Dr: Hard to drink; the taste is just so off-putting. One of the worst brews I've had from Breckenridge ever. This is a strong Avoid. Vote with your dollar and leave this on the shelf. The off flavours alone are enough to ruin it. ABV is well hidden. I don't think I'll finish this; this is going to my friend - if he'll have it.

D-

***
Review from notes taken in Summer 2012:

Served on-draught at Breckenridge Brewpub in Denver, CO; cost was $3 USD.

APPEARANCE: Half a finger worth of head. Beige in colour. Has fair creaminess and thickness, but it's not a robust consistency for an imperial IPA head. Above average head retention.

Body colour is a clear copper. No yeast/lees are visible within.

AROMA: Fresh floral hop aromatics. Clean pale malts. A bit of caramel. I don't detect any overt alcohol or yeasty notes.

Pretty light in terms of aromatic intensity.

TASTE: Floral hop flavours, some hop bitterness in the late second act, caramel, creamy flavour, pale malts. It's not horribly complex or subtle in its execution, but it's pleasant in spite of being underwhelming.

TEXTURE: Smooth and wet. Has nice thickness but is overcarbonated.

OVERALL: A drinkable but underwhelming brew, drinking more like an IPA than an imperial IPA. It does hide its ABV well to its credit. A pretty decent example of the style that has a hop profile I'd consider above average. I definitely prefer this beer on-draught.

High C+ / ABOVE AVERAGE