471 Small Batch IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

471 is a small batch, limited edition ale that was created by our Brewmaster to separate the weak from the strong. 471 is a double IPA, that combines Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness than you've ever had at one time. Enjoy.

Added by mschofield on 08-09-2004

Liked:
3.92/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,315 |  Reviews: 816
2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

I try this beer from time to time, finally got a chance to have it on draft last night. The bottles high price always put me off from it since I never liked it much. The draft was malty sweet and there was an imbalance with the hops - I just don't feel they matched flavors well. Carbonation was Ok, did not taste the 9.2%ABV, it was hiding under the metalliac tang and the musty smell I got from it. The hops chosen did not please me either, the aroma was just bitter and "basement dusty mold".

Well, won't try it again for at least a year.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours a copper/amber color with 2 fingers worth of sticky head that retains well

S: Lots of piney hops jump out along with some earthiness and floral notes. Solid malt backbone with a touch of sweetness and alcohol

T: Follows the nose with piney floral hops and some sweetness. Nicely balanced yet still fairly hop forward with a lingering bitterness. Alcohol is barely noticeable

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Fairly sticky and oily

O: A solid DIPA with plenty of hoppy goodness while remaining balanced and highly drinkable for 9.2%. Decent value for a 4-pack as well

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

my buddy brought this up this weekend as its his favorite iipa, personally I think the other brews we drank over the weekend only highlighted the issues of this beer. we had much better ipas in his time up here (PtE, sucks, lagunitas ipa, devils backbone ipa). for me not enough of the hops comes through and it is entirely too malty. as others have indicated balance and flavors are off and i wouldn't buy it myself. I will likely only drink this again when I visit him. it is very smooth for such a high ABV beer, I just don't think it is a great iipa.

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a great orange amber color, with a nice creamy tan head about one finger, some slight laceing on glass.

S: Aroma is of sweet malts and citrus hops.slight caramel notes.

T: Taste is Highly hopped citus and piney mix with a subtle malty backbone holding it all together.

M: Mouthfeel isa bit on the thinner sidebut very nice.

O: Overall a very hoppy and enjoyable beer, I know the hop craze is getting out of popularity with some folks but I still love the big hoppy beers. Very well balanced with a very enjoyable taste.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On tap in Denver.

A: Clear copper, a little haze to it. Nice foamy head that lasts a while.

S: Malt stands out over the hops. Usually I prefer my IIPAs the other way around.

T: Malt forward beer. But still a decent imperial. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all.

M: Creamy. Nice carbonation.

O: Pretty good stuff. At $3 a snifter during happy hour, I'll be back to get this again.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%