471 IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mschofield on 08-09-2004

Reviews: 797 | Ratings: 2,161
3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

This Breckenridge beer has a nice reddish-golden color.
Aroma has strong cedar and grassy overtones.
Thin head.
Minimal carbonation.
Crisp, clean taste.
Bitter, hoppy without complex undertones.
This beer would accompany spicy foods well.
Lingering bitter aftertaste.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Dark amber/orange pour with a creamy light tan head which leaves a nice ring of lace around the top of the glass. Lacing follows the beer down the glass as I drink more and more of it.
Malt accents with a bit of citrus in the aromas.
Serious bittering hops up front in the flavor mixed with sweet malt. Bitter finish as well. A little unbalanced for the style with something metallic lurking in the background. Not really sure, but I suspect something is not right in this bottle.
Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style, somewhat syrupy.
I don't think I'd want more than one of these. The alcohol hits pretty hard even for 9.2%.
Definitely not the best Double IPA I've had, probably more at the lower end of the spectrum. I've got a few more of these. Hopefully the next one will be better.

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%

Ba Review #261
Served On: 3/01/2013
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV: 9.2%
Date/ Code: 03306B13

This was a 12oz bottle from a mixed sixer I made at Ye Old Spirit Shop in Frederick, MD.

Look: Orangeish copper color with a beige film and minimal carbonation. Lacing was also minimal with some patches here and there.

Smell: Aroma was of sour peaches and pineapple juice. Also some sweet malts detected.

Tate: The fruity sourness seemed to dominate at first, then the malts kicked in with notes of brown sugar and then a bitterness taht cleansed the palate for a fairly clean finish. The 9.2% ABV was virtually nonexistent on the palate – very impressive.

An ok beer, but not one of my favorites.

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%

22 fl oz brown bottle, served in an oversized wine glass.

Pale copper in color with a fair amount of clarity. Not quite creamy, white head that recedes to the sides rather quickly leaving some small pools of bubbles. Some lasting, dimpled lacing.

Vanilla and honey sweetened peach, melon, and apricot. The alcohol component is apparent; swarming yet not exactly warming. Sharp, short-lived notes of pine and spruce.

Thin, watery tropical and citrus fruit. Beneath the sharp, somewhat oily hop presence is an obvious adjunctory base. The alcohol presence is unmasked; like rubbing alcohol, and overpowers the hops. The aftertaste offers notes of pine, but not enough to cut the alcohol flavor.

Medium in body; slick and gaseous with a touch of grit in spots.

This Double IPA is best described as unbalanced. As a big fan of the style, Breckenridge misses the mark on a few different levels; a disappointment.

3.26/5  rDev -16%

Breckenridge 471 IPA is boozy, bland, and bitter.

It poured a hazy amber, with a short and short-lived tan head that left a good amount of lace. The smell was metallic-boozy and the flavor had pale hints of citrus and earthy pine, but was generally bland with a metallic finish. The feel was the highlight of this ale, thick and chewy with a stong long-lasting dry finish.

Due to a lack of flavor, 471 is forgetable and can not be included in the discussion about great double IPAs that are so common now.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

22oz bomber poured into my Duvel tulip.

Quickly forming and quite thick looking lemon mirengue looking head. Two fingers thick it floats gracefully above an orange and copper brown beauty of a beer. Good amount of thick, ropy lacing as should be expected.

I smell this and it reminds me of Dogfish Head's 90 Min IPA. Initally this beer is uncharacteristicly fruity but after a few more sniffs the huge malt bill that was added to balance this beer begin to show up.

Taste is smooth so far. Deep and sweet fruits, not as sharp or bitter as I was expecting. The fruit here tend to be of the softer fleshed variety. I swear I picked up a bit of bananna on my first sip. Subsequent sips reveal a rather intense maltiness. It's hard to tell where this beer is going and what it wants to be. The full body and intense chewiness say that this beer is big, the hidden alcohol content is not that hidden and seems to erase what could be some interesting interactions going on with the malt and hop character of this beer. The direction of this beer seems off. Nothing really stands out here. Nothing offends me in the taste or feel, but nothing really wows me either. The interaction between malts and hops feels lacking, neither side really stands out, they sort of smash together to form something resembling a DIPA. The coating feel of the hops is there but not the juicy taste, its all just a bit too goopy and sticky for my tastes.

I know that I have probably had a worse DIPA than this but my experience with this one has just been a huge let down. The bottle had a pretty cool design, had heard good things about this beer in the past, and it looks pretty good too, but in the end it all just turned out average. Would recommend you turn elsewhere for a DIPA, especilly if you are looking for a hop fix.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

What is the number for? Pours a light golden amber color with medium head and limited lace retention. Although it lasts throughout the tasting.

The nose is more along the lines of an east coast IPA. Some hop notes with a more malt backing and blend. Noticeable caramel notes with a light toast. Almost English in a way except for the hops. Citrus and pine notes mostly with some esters and fruity notes.

The taste is similar. The hops back off relative to the nose. The malt is a bit dry but still has a caramel and toasty flavor. The yeast comes out more which is a bit off setting. Some light butyric notes and fruity tropical esters. I would like more hops for an IPA but some citrus and pine that linger into the finish.

The body is light to moderate. Nice velvet undertones for a 9% beer. Overall a limited hop IPA beer but very easy to drink, which could be trouble.

3.22/5  rDev -17%

my buddy brought this up this weekend as its his favorite iipa, personally I think the other brews we drank over the weekend only highlighted the issues of this beer. we had much better ipas in his time up here (PtE, sucks, lagunitas ipa, devils backbone ipa). for me not enough of the hops comes through and it is entirely too malty. as others have indicated balance and flavors are off and i wouldn't buy it myself. I will likely only drink this again when I visit him. it is very smooth for such a high ABV beer, I just don't think it is a great iipa.

3.22/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A dark golden-amber with a very thin head on top (sat at the bar a while before being served, perhaps?).

Smells a bit overly-hopped (floral, citrus) relative to the minor malt notes.

Taste follows aroma: too hoppy. The lacking malt results in a flimsy backbone and a very bitter beer, bordering unenjoyable.

Too small of a body to carry the hops. Despite the thin head, decently carbonated.

Another american double that is unbalanced. Pass this one up.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass
copper in appearance with a minimal head and some lacing heading down the side

the sweet smell of hops hits you in the face as you stick your nose into it....cascade hops if im correct....what a great american ipa should smell like in my opinion

the taste to me was a bit malty and mis matched. after the hops in the smell i missed them in the taste...there was some bitterness but it was much more rounded out at first. it grew on me a bit as it went down but a bit roasty sometimes...a bit bitter others it worked around a bit to much

the feel of this like the taste seemed to be lost in a direction it didnt know where it was going...as with some small batch beers ive had this seems to be a bit to mixed up

i wouldnt say this is overly drinkable if you have some other decent options around...im glad i tried it and thats about it

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle did not have any bottling or best by date, served in a tulip glass.

Poured a thick hazy deep orange without any head. Smells of bitter piney hops much like a 90 Minute IPA. The body was incredibly thick and syrupy as expected. The flavor starts out sweet and quickly becomes bitter, but not quite as bitter as I'd expected it to be. Pine definitely dominates here, but a musty herbacious character is detectable after a while.

Drinkable and not really bad.

It seems like an OK clone of 90 Minute IPA. Since I live much closer to DFH than Breckenridge and actual 90 Minute IPA (or for that batter Two Hearted Ale) is much cheaper I see no reason to seek it out.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours a cloudy orange/brown color with a 1.5 finger head, good carbonation and good lacing which stays on the glass until the end.

The smell is strong floral and citrus hops with pine, orange, mellon and grapefruit dominating.

The taste is too dominated by hops, none of the flavors in the smell come out; the taste is all hops. Oily hops are left on the tongue after swallowing.

The mouthfeel is thick and oily.

Overall this beer's taste does not live up to its appearance and smell; which is a shame because it looks and smells nice. If you are looking for a strait up hop bomb then give this a try.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle Inspection: Little blurb about how happy they are to make this beer, but no useful information like a date, abv, ingredients, serving suggestion etc. etc.

Aroma: Hoppy as all get out. A bit grassy, but overall a nice citric pine hop aroma with notes of a big sugary base.

Appearance: Clear copper/amber glass with a big two finger head at the pour that dropped to a solid cover of multi-sized off white bubbles leaving behind impressive lace.

Flavor: Firm hop bitter taste but well supported by a malt base. Seems like a blend of hops, less citric in the taste, more noble and floral tastes. The alcohol gives a rough edge to the total taste and an almost perfume flavor that is a bit detracting. Overall the IBUs don’t strike me as extreme, but this is well within IPA territory. There is also a spice note in the end, almost a dried orange peel. Elusive

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel, very low carbonation, almost flat, somewhat creamy texture and a clean short finish.

Overall Impression: Not a bad beer, but the alcohol just isn’t well hidden and the hops seem a bit grassy. It’s scratching the IPA itch I had, but I’m only moderately enjoying finishing the bomber, it’s actually becoming a bit of a chore.

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a rusty amber color with hanging bubbles/sediment and a small cream colored head that dissipates quickly.

Alcohol comes through in the nose, big time. Big caramel malt aromas with surprisingly little hops coming through.

Big caramel malts come through, tons of malt. Citrus and grapefruits hops flavors come through lightly, but the shining star here is the malts. Which is a little unfortunate as this is an IIPA. Kind of a strange metallic finish.

Medium body with medium carbonation and what do you know? Medium mouthfeel.

Not a great IIPA, worth trying once but way too malty.

3.19/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Brilliantly clear golden-orange, with a bright white head that settles relatively quickly but leaves beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Earthy and resinous hop aroma with a faint generic malt background. Not quite what I was hoping for from a beer labeled as being "double hopped".

T: Fairly straightforward, the hops are definitely there throughout but without the depth of flavor I would expect from a double IPA. The malt flavors are well balanced, however, and there's just a bit of clean alcohol warmth.

M: Well carbonated without being over the top, there's a smooth vinous quality over the tongue - helped, no doubt, by the 9% alcohol content.

D: The hoppiness is a bit biting, but overall this is a very smooth beer, and at 9% ABV it could be trouble. Good thing it isn't sold in six-packs.

IMHO, the only thing that makes it a "double IPA" is the alcohol content. As an IPA it would probably receive slightly better marks.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

Poured a clear orange/amber with a 1" off-white head. The head fell to a cap and left some great lacing.

The nose was juicy citrus and pine. A little orange peel.

There was some tanginess like a pineapple flavor. Plenty of bitterness. Alcohol was very prominent.

The Small Batch 471 was a little thin and bland. Low carbonation. I was unfortunately not very impressed with this IPA. I really am surprised, I thought I was going to like it much more.

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Pours a hazy copper/orange color. A small bubbly white head forms and recedes in an instant. No lace is left behind.
S: Citrus and piny hops. An oily resin aroma. A light malty sweetness lingers on. Some alcohol.
T: Oily and soapy hops. A large bitterness of citrus and grapefruit hops. There is a malty sweetness that is nondescript and cloying.
M/D: A medium body that is low on carbonation. Very sticky and syrupy. The bitterness and alcohol keeps this from being a good sipping beer. It took me a while to finish this.

One of those bland overly bitter DIPA's. Nothing offensive if you like the style, but nothing I would recommend. There are much better examples of the style. That is coming from someone that is not a big fan of DIPA's.

3.17/5  rDev -18.3%

A bit cloudier than regular IPAs. big head, reddish color. orangy hop smell. Whoa, i dont like the taste too much. way too sour. a lot of alcohol evident too which should not be the case with a regular IPA in my opinion. some nice hops on the finish but overall not too great.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a shaker. This double IPA poured a light amber/orange color with a very faint haze and a big, beige head that quickly faded. Some good, chunky lacing was left behind. The aroma was made up of notes of grapefruit, pine, and a mild caramel malt backbone. The flavor was very grassy and wheaty, with an upfront maltiness, followed by a quick bitter finish. Not exactly the hop bomb I was expecting. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with minimal carbonation. My overvall imperssion was that this was very drinkable, but with the abundance of good IPA’s and double IPA’s available, I would pass on this one.

3.15/5  rDev -18.8%

Cloudy golden amber with yeast in suspension and a slight white head with some sticky lacing on a tulip glass.

Sweet malt and caramel with floral hops in the background.

Bitter grapefruit dominates from entry long into the finish and sticks with the palate.

Full body with a slick texture and yeasty granules. Carbonation is modest in the dry beer with alcohol slightly less than anticipated.

I had this once previously and thought better of it at that time. However, today, it is just another beer and perhaps past its prime.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Light copper orange with a sticky cream colored lasting head. Good clarity. Big resiny "C" hop aroma with some malt character to back it up. Ouch. Not the flavor I was expecting. Not nearly big enough for style. Everything is blanced well, but I say it needs to be picked up a notch. It does roll over the tounge with a good sensation. Sticky, pleasantly astringent. If this came from a brewpub, it would be very nice. From a production brewery trying a special line, I expect more.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

I poured this from a 1 pint 6 oz bomber.

Initially there was much activity in the pour, so I thought this was going to be overly loaded with carbonation. The head retention was typical of an IPA, but it left a quite lovely lace after several minutes. Looking through my glass into natural light, I notice this IPA is a bit hazier than others that I've tried.

Before I poured, I took a whiff into the bottle to get a preview of what it was going to smell like in my glass. I noticed this IPA smelled overwhelmingly piney due to the heavy hop presence. Nothing else really stood out.

In tasting this brew, the piney taste was most prevalent. It left a somewhat spicy aftertaste, though. This IPA is not very fruity to me at all.

This feels like a pretty dry IPA to me. Initially after I take a sip, I get cotton mouth. Shortly thereafter, my mouth waters from my taste buds being kicked from the piney sensation. As far as drinkability goes, I'm never too picky. Heck I've drank my own sock water before (I was a student at the USAF's SERE School).

This beer is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it again, unless it's the only IPA I can find. If it's on tap in a local club or restaurant, I'd probably drink it again.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

12-ounce bottle with very tasteful silkscreened design. Crystalline golden-amber peach juice with slightly yellowed white creamy head. Heavily understated nose, with just a hint of caramelly grapefruit pith and a chemical smell bordering on sulfuric. A bit more pronounced flavor, with sugared grapefruit sections leading the way. In the middle there is a brief flash of a crystal malt sweetness, but this disappears quickly under a slightly ferrous mineral quality that weaves in between phases of finishing hop bitterness. Overall, however, this is a very muted taste for an IPA. The consistency of this beer is indeed syrupy, as the 9.2% abv would indicate. Its dextrinous quality is not unpleasant, but for a beer with such girth, I usually expect a severe blast of flavor. This one doesn't deliver, unfortunately. Glad to have tried this, but I'll shed no tears when it's gone.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

I was excited to find this beer in Tucson so I brought it home to Wisconsin. I tried it last night with my brother-in-law who was also excited.
A: Looked like a P.A. It seemed to fairly light with a big head.

S: Not alot there, you can pickup the hops but not much else

T: The front hops was nice, but seemed to finish almost metallic? Didn't care for that at all. I saw others got hop acid, but not me. Could've been my bottle

M: Just ok, maybe it was the turnoff of the metallic taste but the lingering flavor was metal.

D: At 9.2% I would try it again but not with as much excitement.
I think it has potential but maybe my bottle was bad?

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

This poured a nearly clear gold with light tan head. It smelled like copper hops with some apricot and light wheat malt. It tasted like rusty copper and dry bitter resin, with strong bready yeast and alcohol, and a bit of citrus. It was slightly thick with some carbonation, and had a bitter aftertaste. Overall this had a weird smell and flavor that didn't seem right for the style. It had good body, but it had strong alcohol flavor that made it tough to drink. The flavor was fairly dirty also (hops and malt weren't fresh or clean tasting). I'm not a fan.

471 IPA from Breckenridge Brewery