Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

471 Small Batch IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

471 is a small batch, limited edition ale that was created by our Brewmaster to separate the weak from the strong. 471 is a double IPA, that combines Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness than you've ever had at one time. Enjoy.

Added by mschofield on 08-09-2004

Ratings: 2,317 |  Reviews: 816

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Night before I sampled this for the first time, I had tried Sixpoint Resin and Hi-Res DIPAs. While I'm starting to lose my appreciation for the DIPA, this one does it very well. Similar piney citrusy stuff like in Resin/Hi-Res, but calmed down a bit and more balanced. I'd try it again, since I like heavy alcohol content, but lately, I'm toning down my hop intake and sticking with IPAs and PAs.

3.96/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First time trying this, can hardly tell that it is 9.2%. Almost like a tripel in that regard, but only in that regard.

Otherwise, it lives up to its "double hopped" claim, I can definitely taste the hops. It's not over-bearing, though. Doesn't leave too much of an after taste, at least not more than any other IPA.
I have a 4 pack, and after the first one, I am considering going for a second.

Overall, a really solid beer. I would pick it up again. I would be interested in other small batch beers that Breckenridge comes out with after trying this.

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

This ale pours a very cloudy Orange brown color with a lot of sediment in the pour. It gives a small white head that gives way to a thin white film and very little lacing. The nose is extremely malty and rich but at the same time one note. The flavor on the other hand is much deeper and more complex than I expected. There is an abundance of malt up front (and some of it seems roasted giving a slight coffee bite to the beer). But behind that there is the bitter bite of a great double ipa. This is no west coast ipa but it still gives that pleasant bitter tingle on the tongue. There is also a slight alcohol bite that is pleasant and a great reminder of what this beer is. Id love to try another bottle of this, a little fresher next time to see if the hops take the foreground or if it meant to be malt forward. All in all a great pour from an unfamiliar brewery.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%