471 Small Batch IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

471 is a small batch, limited edition ale that was created by our Brewmaster to separate the weak from the strong. 471 is a double IPA, that combines Pale, Munich, Caramel-30, Carapils and Torrified Wheat malts, with Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe and Fuggles hops. It has a big sweet mouthfeel, followed by more hoppiness than you've ever had at one time. Enjoy.

Added by mschofield on 08-09-2004

Reviews: 813 | Ratings: 2,300
4.77/5  rDev +22.6%

This beer poured a somewhat cloudy amber orange. The aroma was indicative of a twice hopped (or dry hopped) beer. The taste is slightly bitter but overall sweet and finishes well. This is a very drinkable beer. This beer reminded me very much of Charlie Papazian's John 1981 from his book Microbrewed Adventures.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured out of a 22 oz. bomber....

poured out a nice cloudy orange color that was very nice and calrified over time. There was a cream colored 1+" head.

The noce was very nice. Obviously "hoppy" being a DIPA. A very "hoppy" nose that honestly smells very fresh to me...not like a a fresh hop brew, but close!! I do detect the trademark citrus aspect to the nose like some other DIPA's.

I liked the taste quite a bit. Nice hop bitterness, but not over the top. Has a very nice tingle on the tounge. I get that grapefruit and citrus taste to it as well as a slightly sweet malt backbone. I was thinking it would be sweeter, but it was not and that was nice!

A very nice mouthfeel. Like I mentioned, it has that nice tingle on the tounge that I really enjoyed. The malt sweetness was nice, but cloying in any sense.

Honestly even with the high ABV%, I found this to be a very drinkable beer. The "hoppiness" was not so much that it killed my palate. Be careful to have too many, but I though I could have at least one more!!!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a bright orange, fast rising bubbles and a whole lot of unfiltered amazingness floating about the glass. Puffy white head; looks delicious.

Aromas of alcohol, pine, earth, wet leaves, grass, and spicy malt

Very light carbonation yet thick with a pretty decent malt backbone. Hoppy upfront with a lasting bitter aftertaste. Leaves mouth feeling warm, dry, and a bit spicy.

As I let the beer warm the malt characteristics become more apparent and the hops are more vibrant. I think I would let this beer sit for a bit at room temp so that the flavors can mature. Overall an awesome double and surprisingly drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured into thistle glass. Has orange-urine color with nice white head and lacing.

Grapefruit/citrus smell.

Bitterness is good, but a little too sharp for my liking. Tastes light on the malt for a 9.2%.

Not the best DIPA out there for sure. Not sure I have ever had a Breckenridge brew, but this was recommended by a beer section steward.

Have to mention that this review is on the last of a sixer. The first two sessions left me with a nasty headache the following day. I am attributing it to the brewing process, as I only had one beer each night.

Not a bad beer, but I will not purchase again. Too many better examples out there.

2.43/5  rDev -37.5%

A: Cloudy amber with a thin head. Some side lacing which is nice.

S: Citrusy orange and flowery hops.

T: Strong grapefruit/citrus flavor. Incredibly bitter.

M: Thin and slippery. Has a strong bite that does not make it easy to drink.

O: I won't be trying this one again.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Amber with light off white foam. Clear.
S-More sweet maple than hops, but the hops definitely jump out.
T-Tangy and pleasant. Bitter with a sweet honey taste.
M-OK
D-This is a nice beer; went down a bit too fast for a double IPA, but I guess that means it is pretty drinkable. However, I was expecting it to be a bit more "in you face" for the style. If I hadn't known the style, I would have pegged it for a single IPA or possibly even a pale ale.

wow a very different beer. an interesting lighter color, it really stands out. extremely hoppy, rediculously hoppy. tasted really earthy, like plants. if hops are your thing you will love this. overall not bad, a bit too hoppy for me personally but still a quality drink. its noticably strong though, it packs a punch, cant have more than one or two due to high alcohol and extreme hoppiness.

4.31/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy poor with a white head.
Smell apricot with peach and citrus. First impression peach citrus (hops fade quick )with a back ground of sweet malt.
Mouth feel was medium.
Overall impression very good beer. I will get it again.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Thsi beer seems to be listed twice with slightly different names. I'm not sure which of the two I had if in fact thet two beers are not the same beer.

I didn't expect much as I'm not really an IPA guy and on previous nights, the Houston Flying Saucer has featured Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. That should tell you something.

The smell and taste of this Imperial IPA surprised me. I could smell all the flowery, piney hoppiness I expected as well as some malty goodness underneath. The malt scent was catching me off guard, but I made no assumptions on the taste.

The tast of this beer, the maltiness actually being there under the bitter and floral hops, was excellent. The depth of this beer was surprising. I like where they went with it and would recommend as much to other brewers.

In the mouth, it was almost chewy. I don't know if it was what I perceived because of the maltiness or what, but it was good.

I could have had a few of these. Seeing that it's a 9.2% ABV beer, I'm glad I didn't. no one that sessions this beer will remember it.

Note: I had this beer as it was the Pint Night beer at the Flying Saucer in Houston. I didn't take notes, so this will be a rather brief review. Ordinarily I wouldn't do a review off of memory but as this was rather unique in my experience, I wanted to post about it.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Crisp and clear orange with golden highlights. Creamy tan head with good retention and good sticky lacing on the side of this nonic.

Rich, sticky, resinous honey dipped hop cones with pungent lemon rind. Has a faint sharp cheddar cheese like quality to it...I've had this exact same experience with Hop Wallop.

Fresh, sweet, flavorful citrus and piney hop deliciouness followed by a sharp bitterness and then a long alcoholic finish (esp once it has warmed). Alcohol kind of shocks my taste buds and I have trouble decifering any nuances after it hits. Not the balanced and well hidden ABV that I've seen in early notes on this beer. I'm wanting more caramel malt.

The aroma on this beer is just outstanding...I just wish that the alcohol was a little more masked. One and done for me, but don't get me wrong, this is still one enjoyable brew.

3.57/5  rDev -8.2%

Somewhat cloudy dark orange color. Lots of lacing and decent head retention. The aroma is loaded with citrus hops and orange peel. On first taste I am very surprised, not the overbearing hop bomb I expected. There is alot of bitterness upfront but this is surprisingly well balanced. Lots of sweet malt in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a little bit thick and the taste is a little boozy. High ABV makes this one to keep an eye on.

3.1/5  rDev -20.3%

P-Nice looking 12 oz bottle

A-I did a rough pour and got 0 head

S-Avg at best, I was hoping for more

T-Nice hop up front, but fades way too fast. Not enough malt to balance this one out.

M-Way too watery for a DIPA.

D-Not bad

Notes: This might have knocked my socks off a few years ago, but this is my favorite style now, and with DIPAs like DFH 90, Dreadnaught, Ruination and Stoudts available, it just doesnt cut it as DIPA. Really lacking in the malt/body dept.

3.19/5  rDev -18%

A: Brilliantly clear golden-orange, with a bright white head that settles relatively quickly but leaves beautiful lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Earthy and resinous hop aroma with a faint generic malt background. Not quite what I was hoping for from a beer labeled as being "double hopped".

T: Fairly straightforward, the hops are definitely there throughout but without the depth of flavor I would expect from a double IPA. The malt flavors are well balanced, however, and there's just a bit of clean alcohol warmth.

M: Well carbonated without being over the top, there's a smooth vinous quality over the tongue - helped, no doubt, by the 9% alcohol content.

D: The hoppiness is a bit biting, but overall this is a very smooth beer, and at 9% ABV it could be trouble. Good thing it isn't sold in six-packs.

IMHO, the only thing that makes it a "double IPA" is the alcohol content. As an IPA it would probably receive slightly better marks.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

A normal dark amber apperance

S Hoppy not much else here

T nothing out of the ordinary. allot of hops was apparant. maybe a bit resiny.

M left my mouth cottonmouthy

D average IPA. Not much added not much gained. to make a "small batch" didnt added anything to make this IPA stand out at all IMO

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Dark rich copper, decent amount of thick off white head. Very fruity smelling (raisins or am I crazy?). Taste is almost like a syrup with little to no hop bite. First breckenridge beer and I must say pretty damn good!

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 16oz pint style glass.

A--Poured a butterscotch/burnt-orange/apricot hue with a super filtered appearance. Big ole two fingers of frothy off white head. Settled to a thing layer that hung around and had good lacing even as the beer warmed. Nice.

S--From the bottle I got nothing but hops, all pine and grapefruit. From the glass I could make out the "boozy" alcohol smell, but mostly just spicy, earthy pine and citrus odors. As the beer warmed the malts gave a grainy scent, but otherwise were not very present in my glass.

T--Lots of good spicy hops with a dry piney taste. There was a grapefruit sweetness that was being overpowered and never really came out. The malts began to mellow the beer out as it warmed, but the flavor was never as complex as I expected it to be. Not that this is a problem as this was a highly enjoyable beer.

M--This I thought, was the beers best characteristic. Good medium body that finshed quick and dry. I wouldnt say it finished clean, but it did leave a good after-taste/feel. Seemed like it thinned out a bit at the end, but not enough to pass judgment or call it weak.

D--For a rather potent 9.2ABV I could go for a few of these.

O--A really simple IPA that wants to be a DIPA. It has the hops if you are into that, but it lacks the complexity to be a truly great beer. Everynow and again, I need a beer that doesn't challenge your pallate, and this will be a beer I will revisit.

4.81/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A lovely copper. crystal clear pour with a rich tan head. Very smooth mouth feel without a heavy alcohol presence in spite of the 9.2% ABV. A rich, hoppy taste and finish that is well balanced with a hint of sweetness. One of my absolute favorites.

4.11/5  rDev +5.7%

Interesting DIPA, not overly hopped hint of floral and citrus. For a 9.2% not to heavy on alcohol taste. Overall a good but not great DIPA, would definitely only have 1 at a sitting.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at Sam's in Highland Park, IL.
Pours and orangey honey hue with an enormous, eggshell colored, soapy, rocky head. HUGE lace that sticks forever, literally, hours after the beer is gone.
The scent is very much of hops, peach, plum, apricot, and a little bit of grape.
The taste is quite malty at the start with some peach, strawberry, flowers and apricot in the middle, and then a hop overload. It's slightly unbalanced, but still enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet.

Pours a red amber color and a nice 1 finger head, with some excellent lacing that stays throughout the session. Aroma is light, a little floral, but not too heavy, which is a little bit of a bummer.

Flavor is extremely hoppy, yet not bitter. This has a sweetness, very similar to grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. Feels effervescent, but not too light. Also, this isn't too bubbly, nor is it too flat. I could see myself drinking a ton of these, as the alcohol isn't harsh.

I want more!

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

No head, few slow bubbles, almost no lacing as I drink it.

Bittering hops with no complexity, flimsy malt backbone.

Mouth feel is thin and watery.

Yes it's drinkable, in the same way water is drinkable.

This beer is does not meet my expectation for a Double/Imperial IPA, or as a "small batch", big beer. I am very underwhelmed.

I've had better examples of this style for the same price or less.

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very slightly hazy, yellow amber, with a dense, meringue head and delicate lacing.

Aroma: Clean, piney hops, with sweet, bright citrus and peach.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Immediately noticeable alcohol flavor on the tongue, with grainy wheat, biscuity malts, and grassy, spicy hops present as well. The hop character is very green, pure, and fresh, but is on the verge of overwhelming in the finish, as it seems amplified slightly by the flavor of alcohol. Some sugary, zesty citrus rind comes through, but this is a boozy hop show to be sure.

Final Word: A take it or leave it IPA, unless you are a true hop lover. While the higher ABV came through a bit too much in the flavor profile, that was really my only complaint with this beer, and my neutral opinion of it is due to the fact that it didn’t present anything unique or out of the ordinary for the style. The hop flavor was exceptionally pure and fresh on the tongue, but didn’t have quite enough malt character throughout to keep the piney bitterness in check. Hop lovers will adore this beer, due to the aforementioned freshness and purity, which really is the strength of this brew, but other drinkers will likely find it a bit unbalanced and strong, seeking more well rounded IPAs instead. I’ll never tell you not to order this one, but I’ll most likely always recommend another.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance - Cloudy, copper in color

Smell - Went big with hops. Pine and Strong citrus aroma.

Taste - At 9.2% mid to mid strong alcohol taste. still good, but definately can tell this is a 9% beer.

Mouthfeel - Not as good as other IPA's in it's class. Not enough solid carbonation.

Drinkability - Definately drinkable. Takes some time to judge after drinking.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a very cloudy orange/yellow with little head that fades to a couple bubbles down the side of the glass.
Has a big boozey smell along with pink grapefruit, and orange rind.
Tastes alot like it smells,big booze and grapefruit with a nice biscuty malt note.
Alcohol and orange rind in the finish.
Nowhere near the top of the style, but I can still drink more than one.

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

Simply stated, I love this beer. From beginning to end it drinks remarkably smooth. It has great color, carbonation, and taste. I cannot drink enough of this stuff on the patio in the evening here in the midwest summer. What makes this a nice drinking (90 min-like) IPA is the wonderfull character and not the typically overly bitter 90 minute IPA's.

471 Small Batch IPA from Breckenridge Brewery