Avalanche Ale | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

That's what makes our Avalanche amber ale such a treat. We blend pale and caramel malts — and just a kiss of bittering hops — to create a refreshing-but-flavorful, anytime beer. Aromas of pale grains, a semi-sweet middle and a clean-as-Colorado snow finish make this our best-selling beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001

Liked:
3.29/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,330 |  Reviews: 460

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a dark reddish-gold with a frothy head into my glass. It looks like the style at the least.

Sweet malt dominates the nose with a scant notice of hops. Not bad.

Ditto for the taste. This is malt-forward, albeit slightly cloying. The hops are firmly in the background and do add a bit of heat to the back.

Mouthfeel is tolerable with a good mix of malt and hops. As mentioned, finishes a bit "hot". Must be what I ate beforehand.

Not bad. An accessible winter seasonal for those who prefer such a thing.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

4.14/5  rDev +25.8%

It was rather tasty!

Not as pretty as some amber beers and the bottle labeling was lacking in a description. Head doesnt stick around.

The smell was very rich and malty. Strong scent after pouring it into a pint glass.

The taste, which is always the most important thing, was really good for an amber ale. First time trying a sampler from this brewery and Avalanche was a great flavor. Has a rich caramel malt flavor but only a very tiny hop finish.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I am very hit and miss with this one when via the bottle and more times than notits a miss. Pours amber with a minimal prickly white head. Smell is diluted but what is there is on the sweet side from the malts. Flavor wise is usually a watered down caramel malt sweetness, just a pinch of hops at the end. When I do get a good bottle, though, I find that like it a lot and it is one of my favorite ambers. Moutfeel is medium bodied with some carbonation. Overall, I stopped buying this one because I was finding I was getting watery batches way too frequently.

2.5/5  rDev -24%

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottling info. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a fairly dense 2 finger off white head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas of caramel, bready grain, light citrus, and spiciness. Fairly nice aromas with good strength. Taste of caramel, bready grains, herbal spiciness, pine, and a bit of citrus. Decent bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of bready grains, herbal spiciness, and light caramel. The breadiness and grain flavors are a bit odd. Decent amount of flavor, but it does come off as a bit watery. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with some prickly carbonation. Very smooth to drink at 4.4%, with no alcohol presence. Overall this is an ok amber ale. A little too bready, and not as much hop character as I would like. Easy to drink though.

3.06/5  rDev -7%

Picked up a bottle of this since I haven't had too many Winter offerings lately and this was one of the few Breckenridge's that I had yet to try. This may be categorized as an American Amber but the hops certainly aren't here and had it not been for the hue, I wouldn't know what to categorize this as. This is a malt bomb and went down too easily - not having any burn or spice to remember this by.

The pour was the best part to this - with a bright amber hue, decent head, and just a bit of lacing to be seen. Not much of an aroma to here except for some macro malts and a biscuit-like base underneath. Ditto for the taste, with just a hint of caramel and cinnamon to liven things up. The mouthfeel was thin and there was practically no aftertaste too, which is not how I like my beers this time of the year.

It's hard to believe that there's any alcohol in this since I couldn't taste it and the carbonation was practically nonexistent. This beer reminded me a bit of the Agave Wheat since the back was so light and had a bit of that fruit-type feel to it. This is only worth a try for the die-hard Breckenridge fans and although I like these guys for the lighter offerings that they bring to the table, this just didn't cut it for me.

3.08/5  rDev -6.4%

I had this at a bar on 49th and 8th in NYC. I don't remember the bar, but they had at least 24 taps and two hand pulls. I will be back once they get up to speed. They were open for one week, and they had no beer lists or casks loaded on the handpulls.

I ordered the Avalanche ale blind. I knew the brewery from their IPA's, but I didn't know this beer.

The coloring is a darker yellow. There was plenty of foam.

The smell and flavor is like an english ale. I would have marked it higher for flavor and smell, but it doesn't match the category. It was like a better tasting Bass ale.

It was decently sessionable, but not great overall.

Avalanche Ale from Breckenridge Brewery