Oatmeal Stout | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

It's a bold, smooth-bodied concoction that oozes dark-roasted coffee aromas and flavors of espresso and semi-sweet chocolate. We round out these heady pleasures with a dose of flaked oatmeal for a creamy body and a semi-dry finish. Unforgettable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2001

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,564 |  Reviews: 555
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A- One finger of quickly dissipating head with minimal lacing. The appearance can be improved distinctly with a vigorous pour. Appealing black, opaque body.

S- Negligible bouquet of an earthy dark malt

T- Taste is where this beer makes its mark. It impressively capitalizes on its bold chocolate/coffee character without succumbing to the typically bitter aftertaste found in most oatmeal stouts.

M- Mouthfeel is sub-par for this style. Misses the opportunity to be chewy, substantial and filling by being far too thin and inconsequential.

O- The superb taste of this beer outweighs its deviation from the expected oatmeal stout style. This is the second Breckenridge Brewery beer I've sampled (SummerBright Ale being the other) and I've found both to have superior taste and drinkability. Breckenridge is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. Even with its shortcomings, this is my favorite oatmeal stout and an excellent session beer.

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversize wine glass.

Appearance: Pitch black body with a tan head that is weak for the style, but otherwise okay. Leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts more than anything. Touches of coffee and chocolate. Not picking up much oat.

Taste: Just kind of tastes like a decent American stout. Kind of disappointing considering I have really enjoyed everything I've had from them. Still, it's not bad at all.

Mouthfeel: Nice, smooth, creamy, medium to light, especially for the style. Very easily drinkable.

This is kind of just there. I would drink it again if I saw it, but it won't call my name if you know what I mean.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

I poured this into my tulip glass. There was minimal head on this very dark body. You won't be able to see any light through this one.

Off the top of this beer I get a healthy dose of coffee and tobacco. I also get a decent burnt smell from the roast in the grain.

The flavor falls off pretty quickly. It tastes like a very simple cup of coffee. I don't get anything else other than that. On the end you get that bitterness that a cup of coffee would bring.

This is a decent oatmeal stout. It is really like coffee with alcohol in the flavoring. It is less like beer, and more like the cold coffee.

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%