Oatmeal Stout | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

It's a bold, smooth-bodied concoction that oozes dark-roasted coffee aromas and flavors of espresso and semi-sweet chocolate. We round out these heady pleasures with a dose of flaked oatmeal for a creamy body and a semi-dry finish. Unforgettable.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-25-2001

Ratings: 1,562 |  Reviews: 554

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I was served this brew at a recent family get-together in Columbia. Not the kind of crew I would think would be walking around with an oatmeal stout (in-laws), so I was pleasantly surprised when I spotted this and stole one from a cooler. Side poured with standard vigor into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a deep brown color with a decent one finger head, minimal head retention and minimal lacing. No real surprises on the packaging either. Remarkably mediocre, basically just pours exactly how you would think an oatmeal stout would. Which is a good thing, I guess, since they didn't screw it up, just nothing stands out.

Smell - Roasted malts, some chocolate notes, coffee, and a hint of dark fruits. All very subdued though, again nothing really exciting.

Taste - Much the same as the aforementioned. While it was good, it wasn't great. The chocolate washed the palate first, followed by the fruits and hints of coffee and the malts.

Mouthfeel - Certainly could have been thicker for an oatmeal stout. There's more beef in three sips of Founders than in this whole beer. Just seemed pretty watery and thin. It was smooth and relatively creamy though.

Overall - I can sum this beer up in just a few words: good, not great. Nothing stands out about it at all. Would I drink it again for free? Sure. Would I buy it? Probably not.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

I had this on tap at the Bulldog Ale House in Roselle, IL. $2 craft beers all day on Thursday, so that's where you'll find me most Thursday nights.

Deep dark brown color with a 1½-finger tan head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

Dark roasted coffee aroma.

This has an espresso coffee flavor with some bittersweet dark chocolate mixed in. The oatmeal adds to the smoothness but doesn't add much to the flavor.This beer never gets sweet and in fact it finishes semi dry wiith a mildly bitter chocolate/coffee aftertaste.

Smooth and creamy despite being on the thin side for a stout. I see a lot of people found the carbonation low when they tried it from the bottle, but my draft version had fairly high CO2.

Overall, this was a decent oatmeal stout. Not my all time favorite, but not bad either.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

A-dark brown black color with a smallish tan head and minimal lacing

S-coffee, malt, chocolate

T-chocolate, dark roasted malt, coffee, hints of vanilla

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-enjoyable and easy drinking, not my favorite of the style but would certainly drink this again

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

1.47/5  rDev -59.9%

I bought a six pack at a liquor store bottom shelf covered in dust.
I'm wanting to believe this was highly outdated or expired (?) beer at the fault of the liquor store.

So here it goes
Appearance - very dark brown to black. No head even with vigorous pour. And no lacing.

Smell- light roasted barley, coffee, raisin.

Taste- if it had not been flat probably would've been better. Really choked this down. Roasted barley, slightly hoppy, coffee and raisin notes.

Mouthfeel- almost zero carbination but thick.

Overall- not satisfied at all, but I will try this again if I find a fresh one. Again I think this is the liquor stores negligence and not the brewery's fault.

Oatmeal Stout from Breckenridge Brewery