Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,187 |  Reviews: 1,087
Reviews by Maxwell:
3.44/5  rDev -3.1%

The bottle looks like a cross between a Woodstock look and the 1950’s homemaker/June Cleaver design. The lightning bolt company logo is awesome and the vanilla flower seems like it’s out of a naturalist’s book, but the bottle is a little boring overall. If I had a collection of bottles similarly designed to this one I might display them on a shelf, but as an individual I wouldn’t keep it.

The beer pours a nice and dark amber caramel, almost black at its middle with a cream browned head that starts tall and wheedles down to a half a fingers length, which retains for quite some time. The smell is actually quite weak… I really had to dig to find it. In the end I detected a sweet with caramel malts. The slightest tinge of vanilla can be found, but nothing near what I was hoping for. There is also a slight tingle in the back which seems bready with a slight ouch of fruit. The taste is also underwhelming with vanilla, if it is there, it is in the faint lingering sweetness of the beer. This is definitely a solid porter, though, with a good chocolatey malt taste and slight breadiness in the back of the mouth. The more you sip it the more you think you taste the vanilla on the edges of the tongue, and it definitely builds into an actual vanilla taste by the end of the beer, but it still is not the leading flavor in the beer. The beer is very clean on the mouth, leaving little to no tingle or taste, but the initial sip has a little harsh kick of carbonation but then washes away entirely. The tongue is left with sap-like strings of vanilla streaking over it after the beer has washed down. This is a terrific porter with great subtle tastes, just not the kick of vanilla I was hoping for from something called a “vanilla porter.” Maybe I am just unfamiliar with the vanilla porter style but I feel like you should be able to get more of a vanilla flavor than this beer delivers. I’d call it a vanilla-kissed/touched porter rather than a straight up vanilla porter. This is a great beer but is just labeled incorrectly.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Lindley Park Filling Station here in Greensboro.Poured into a standard pint a deep dar brown with some ruby hue to it,a thinner but well sustained off white head atop.Big sweet vanilla aromas mixed with some roasted notes,flavors are quite sweet up front with vanilla and molasses flavors, there is a decent drying woddy,earthy finish to keep it from being sweeter than it already is.Not bad but the sweetness up front can be a bit much though.

3.59/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a medium to dark brown with a half inch tan head that was poorly retained and left a couple rings of lacing. Smell is vanilla, coffee and chocolate. Taste follows the smell with vanilla first and foremost followed by coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, nuts and malt. Lightly carbonated, mouthfeel is thin, a bit watery for my taste. I like the vanilla flavor, but this beer is just good, not great.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%

Bottle drank at Freshcraft in Denver, CO.

Pours a semi-clear dark brown color with a 1/2 inch tan head that fades to an oily film. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malts and vanilla beans. Taste is of dark roasted malts, vanilla cola, and vanilla extract. This beer has good carbonation with a soda-like crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good porter with some unique vanilla flavors. I would definitely get this one again. My first beer from Breckenridge.

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I have recently been avoiding flavored beers. The few that I have had, from chocolate stouts, grapefruit IPAs to, yes, vanilla porters, tasted artificial and the added flavors overwhelmed the beer they were supposed to enhance. I tried this at a restaurant on a whim and enjoyed it. The vanilla is not all powerful, and it allows the porter taste like it should: only with a whiff of vanilla in the nose and on the tongue!

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A solid drinkable Porter, a beer I'll definitely buy again. However, I didn't get a taste or scent of vanilla. This Porter has a wonderful dark color, with a pleasant coffee / bitter smell. This tasted, like it smell. For me it was very balance.

2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

Roasted walnut brown on the desktop, maroon with orange highlights when backlit. A golden ecru cap sits atop the beer and begins to deflate as surface bubbles pop! pop! pop! in rapid succession. Better than average lace helps turn this into a pretty good looking porter.

The nose is weak and isn't all that porterish. That's somewhat surprising since the malt bill runs the gamut from pale to caramel to chocolate to black to roasted barley. Precious little of the darker malts were used, I'm guessing. I do appreciate the unmistakable aroma of vanilla, so all is not lost.

Breckenridge went to the trouble to acquire vanilla beans from New Guinea and Madagascar. I guess a blending of the two is required to get exactly the vanilla flavor they're looking for. Why then does it taste like poor quality vanilla extract? Despite the fact that it has a great deal of flavor, I'm not enjoying the beer as much as I was during the first few sips.

It's a little too sweet, with a chocolate and caramal extract flavor. I'm sure the brewery uses quality ingredients, it just doesn't taste like it. Vanilla, which I usually love, is becoming more overpowering as I drink. Good thing the bottle is only twelve ounces.

The body/mouthfeel is both thin and slightly sticky, a combination of characteristics that has always made me think that sugar was added (after fermentation) to a relatively light-bodied beer. It's a fairly unexciting mouthfeel that might have been helped by a few more bubbles. Nah, probably not.

A vanilla porter sounds like something I would enjoy. It's too bad this winter seasonal isn't very good. I have no idea where the fault lies, but the beer tastes fake. Never mind the word 'partakable' along the bottom edge of the label. I won't be partaking of Vanilla Porter ever again.

3.02/5  rDev -14.9%

A: Dark Brown with a tan head. Shiny.

N: Vanilla extract, chocolate, toasted grain, fudge.

T: A light, average porter with some basic coffee and chocolate notes that’s had a ton of vanilla poured into it.

MF: Light, slightly sweet from the vanilla. Slightly syrupy.

D: Ok for one but wouldn’t want any more.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

4.06/5  rDev +14.4%

I have to preface this with the admission that I don't usually do porters. Overall, if you are looking for a typical porter this brew might not be the best choice.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. The head was very thin and disappeared almost immediately, liquid was nearly opaque. I expected more vanilla scent out of the bottle, but there wasn't much. The taste was very smooth with a fair amount of vanilla (not too sweet or overpowering) and a bit of a coffee edge. Its nice and roasty without any bitterness. This feels and tastes like a much lighter beer with quite a bit of carbonation. I wish it were a little creamier, but overall I like it a lot. Would purchase again.

3.73/5  rDev +5.1%

The color is inky black, wit ha half-inch of foamy head. It smelt of licorice and molasses, which kind of anticipated a sickly-sweet taste. However, the vanilla comes in and saves it, adding in some sarsaparilla, and a hint of something else... anise? I dug the mouthfeel, which was creamy, like a scoop of ice cream was plopped in the glass. But this beer doesn't feel right for anything but sipping, and I'd recommend it for dessert.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

Dark brown pour with a strong beige head that fizzles quickly. The coffee and vanilla notes meet my nose immediately and the flavor is there as well. Strong coffee and vanilla sweetness and a smooth finish. Over all lack of aftertaste. The body is a little thin for the style in my humble opinion, but the carbonation is good. The flavors are so bold and clean, each sip is interesting. If the body was a bit more substantial it would be just that much better. I bought twelve and don't anticipate having any trouble finishing each one.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.18/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery