Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,176 |  Reviews: 1,087

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle with no date poured into a tumbler. Practically no head at all and just a thin foam skim on the top of the beer and the edge of glass. No lacing. The beer is a dark orange-red.

Smell - when the beer is cold I smell nothing. Upon warming up I get some hints of vanilla and a hint of those coffee/porter smells one gets from the roasted malts. But not a lot.

Taste - when cold its mostly sweet - so like others have recommended I let it warm up before drinking more. Upon warming I get that sweet vanilla at first (reminded me a bit of a cream soda) followed by coffee and mild bitter. Guessing correctly the beer would be on the sweet side it went really well with chocolate chip cookies. It's a nice blend of flavors but you really must let it warm up. Cold out of the bottle I thought I was having a soda. Once warm though it's much more like a real porter with vanilla flavor balanced with the typical porter tastes.

Mouthfeel - no carbonation, a bit thick and it evenly coats the tongue and throat. Goes down smoothly.

Drinkability - I'm finding I'm enjoying porters so much that I may change my favorite beer type, but for me this is a beer that I have because the combination of flavors sounds interesting, but it's not an outstanding porter. This means that if I had to choose between this porter and another, I'd probably pick the other one. Not because I didn't like it, but because I want just the coffee and chocolates in the porter, not the vanilla so much. It's strictly a personal taste issue - some people like white chocolate, some people like dark chocolate. I like a normal porter but this Vanilla porter was a good experience just not my favorite flavor combination.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

very good.. get the vanilla when its just above room temp.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery