Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Vanilla PorterVanilla Porter

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Reviews: 1,068 | Ratings: 4,057
4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

I think I'm in the minority on this one. This beer is lovely...the toastiness of a porter and the sweetness of vanilla. I like this combination better than the sweet milk stouts that I used to like so much. The beer pours a very dark brown, bordering on black with little to no head. The aroma is malty, of course, with vanilla (duhhh) but not overwhelming. The taste is sweet with vanilla. I understand why it might be overwhelming to some but I love the flavor, and I love porters. In my mind, this delivers the best of both.

4.31/5  rDev +21.4%

Really looking forward to this one...after Breckenridge's amazing oatmeal stout, here's hoping I'm not let down. Pours a dark mahogony, almost black. Fluffy white head that slowly settles...beautiful. Smell is porter...hops and malt, coffee and cocoa, and of course, just a bit of vanilla. Taste is very similar, the hops fall to the back, with the coffee and vanilla coming out forefront. Not nearly as much vanilla as I thought, but it's certainly there. Mouthfeel is very nice, a little creamy, not overpoweringly so, very nice. Drinkability is amazing, but I have to admit that may be in part because the beer I drank before this wasn't quite as easy going down. I'll try this one again.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

A very dark porter with a nice light carbonation with very little aroma and nice head. The aroma you do get wich is oh so faint of vinnila. This beer shocked the crap out of me and I thought I would hate it before my first sip. It went down extremely smooth with a slight hop taste followed by another of vinnila. Absolutely hardly no after taste and extremely drinkable with a meal or just at the camp fire. A for sur

Damn tasty!
The vanilla seems to beam through quite nicely. I am defiantly a fan of porters in general with Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald being my favorite.
With that in mind this comes pretty close to that top spot. It obviously tastes different but it is equally good. The amount of vanilla in each bottle is just enough to give it a vanilla flavor without knocking you in the teeth. It has a cleaner feel than other porters and it almost feels like a brown ale at first sip.
None-the-less it is a solid porter with great mouthfeel. I defiantly recommend this one.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Appearance: Pours black, but dark and caramelly, where light gets through, tan head

Smell: roasted malt, vanilla, caramel

Taste: roasted malt, coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla aftertaste, kind of a salty caramel taste as well

Mouth feel: very smooth, medium bodied, just the right amount of bite.

Overall: Good beer, I really enjoyed it. Very smooth and the flavors marry well. Thoroughly enjoyable beer.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

I really enjoy this beer a lot. Not being a hops kind of guy, this beer works out well for me. At first I didn't know what to expect, and was more or less assuming a classic porter with a hint of vanilla at the end. I was (pleasantly) surprized to find the vanilla aftertaste pretty strong, as I have a problem with flavored beers when one can barely taste the flavoring (most of them). I really like the flavor and all, but the sweetness would get to me after a few of them

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Now here's a good porter. The vanilla flavor adds a nice smoothness and mild taste to this beer, and as a result it's not one of the smokier ones out there for those that prefer that taste. This is a great dessert beer and one of my preferred porters.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

This porter pours a dark brown, almost black color with a thin off white head. Smell is subtle but of caramel and coffee beans. Taste is lightly carbonated with notes of coffee, caramel, and bits of vanilla. Bitter and drying end with a little bit of a coffee bean lingering. I like a porter I can enjoy with my bbq out back on these warm summer afternoons and this fits the bill perfectly.

"ale brewed with real vanilla beans"

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%

A deep and dark porter with a very refreshing vanilla and dark malt aroma that pours with a finger worth of off white foam that soon falls back into the glass. The medium body and somewhat oily mouth feel play well with hints of vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Any harshness of chocolate or coffee is quickly taken away by a vanilla taste that leaves you wanting another sip.

This was an excellent beer. I would gladly have another!

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%

Bottle drank at Freshcraft in Denver, CO.

Pours a semi-clear dark brown color with a 1/2 inch tan head that fades to an oily film. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malts and vanilla beans. Taste is of dark roasted malts, vanilla cola, and vanilla extract. This beer has good carbonation with a soda-like crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good porter with some unique vanilla flavors. I would definitely get this one again. My first beer from Breckenridge.

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

A- Pours dark, dark brown. Maintains a slight, but steady head. Laces quite well.

S- Definite vanilla. Some rum-like sweetness to it as well.

T- Definitely where this one shines. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla, but this one makes it work for me. There's roasty malt bitterness that seems to perfectly balance the vanilla sweetness. The vanilla also tastes quite genuine and rich as well. Additionally, there's a surprising amount of flavor for a beer this light.

M- Medium full, and quite creamy in the mouthfeel. Carbonation is very unintrusive, but works wonders making this beer full, but light at the same time.

O- Exceptional drinkability, especially as it warms up.

I picked this up initially to fill a mix a 6pk, and I barely looked at what it was. After arriving home, I suspected that this would be far too sweet for me, but it was actually surprisingly good.

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Poured a little lighter than I expected - in color and body. It looked thinner than anticipated and a lighter color. This is an amber dark brown that light passes through easily.

S: While there are normal aromas in here that are to be expected in a porter there is the something else that the name implies - vanilla. It's not dominant but it's there blending with the chocolate/coffee as well.

T: The vanilla is a taste that carries though the entire experience. It's up front with the cocoa but if follows through to the hoppy trailing edge and even a little beyond. However, the vanilla isn't over the top. Not overly sweet - nicely balanced.

M: A little creamy but this is a good thing. Smooth going down. A little light in the carbonation department but it works well with this beer. Anything more and it might be harsh.

D: Very drinkable. I would love to include this in my next tasting session that I host.

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter glass. 5.4% abv

Appearance- Pours a dark charcoal with a light brown head that diminishes. Quite dark.

Smell- Toasted bread, Vanilla bean, molasses.

Taste- A sweet baked bread malty flavor quickly turns into a rich blast of vanilla. Not much unlike vanilla ice cream. Prominent roasted nuttiness midway through, finishing with yet even more vanilla richness with slight bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel- Medium in bosy with fair carbonation.

Overall- The richest vanilla flavor I have yet found in any beer, as the name implies. Very flavorful and sets this beer aside on its own with the heavy vanilla use. The independent nature of this makes this porter stand out. A must try for fans of vanilla. Well done porter.

A - dark, amber light passes through, 2 finger head and good lace
S - good vanilla smell could use a little more hops
T - exacly what i expected, a good porter flavor with hints of vanilla. Vanilla blends nicely with the chocolate and coffee flavors
M - thick and heavy, good lingering coating on the tongue
D - vanilla can tend to overwhelm after a few of these

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

I first had this beer on draft at the Breckenridge Pub in Denver. It had me hooked right away. Since I can't get this beer in MD, I've had a few friends from out of state bring me bottles since. I've come to the conclusion that this beer is at it's absolute best with about 6 months of age on it. The Vanilla flavor becomes perfectly balanced with the chocolaty malt and the beer smooths out overall.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Bottle pours a deep brown/black with red tints shining through and about one finger of light tan loose foamy head that dissipates quickly to a lacy ring around the glass.

It has strong spicy aromatic smells similar to cinnamon and nutmeg along with the vanilla upfront. Consists of some chocolate and caramel traces too.

I nice vanilla taste is immediate and follows through to the finish along with chocolate and coffee flavors. It has a slight warming alcohol presence that gives it little kick.

The mouthfeel is full and somewhat chewy with a little carbonation that isn't overwhelming. Nicely rounded out and smooth.

Overall, this is a good solid warming brew that I enjoyed. The vanilla and porter characteristics and balance for a nice smooth taste and texture making it a good drinkable beer. Probably very good with desert.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

A - This beer poured a brown color with ruby highlights that had decent retention and left decent lacing along the side of the glass

S - The aromas that were produced by this beer were some roasted malts, chocolate, but the vanilla was the star here

T - Unlike what others have said, I did not find this to be a vanilla mess, but I love vanilla, so part of me wishes there were more in this beer, but I tasted slightly roasted malts and a little but of chocolate and moderate amount of vanilla

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - I really enjoyed this beer, the look of it says more of a Brown Ale to me, but the taste really made up and was something that I really enjoyed

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours a mahogany brown with a one-finger coffee cream colored head. Aroma of vanilla beans, cream, hint of coffee and molasses. Really big vanilla bean flavor to start. Vanilla cake and melted ice cream like sweetness. Bit of caramel and a hint of roasted malts wrap this one up. This beer is vanilla or bust, but very enjoyable if that's in your wheelhouse.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is the Cream Soda of the beer world. I mean that in a good way. This is a very nice addition to a robust chocolate coffee toffee porter with a good layer of vanilla flavor on top to give it a nice rich sweet flavor that isn't overly cloying. I highly recommend trying this out as a good dessert beer. Very well done!

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a ridiculously dark amber, looks black unless held to strong light. Form one finger of head which dissipates down to a film, minimal whispy lacing.
S - Hops with a slight vanilla aroma sweetness.
T - Malts, semi-sweet chocolate, lots of vanilla. Medium full body, quick finish. Absolutely delicious.
O - An amazing, 5 star porter.
V - Medium.

4.26/5  rDev +20%

Very refreshing sweet porter with a hint of vanilla

A- Dark garnet red, almost completely opaque. Beautiful creamy 3 inch head that leaves great lacing

S- Not much smell but do get a vanilla and roasted caramel malts

T- Taste is great. Not too much vanilla makes for a very good light flavor mixed with the roasted caramel malts

M- Feels lighter than I would expect from a porter, but nonetheless very refreshing

D- Drinks reaaal good. sweet stuff

4.26/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just had this on tap at the Pub at Crestview Hills, KY, and it is way better than when I had it in a bottle a few months ago. Not all BA's will like it since I don't detect any beer taste whatsoever, but what's there is delicious. On tap this tasted just like chocolate milk made with a lot of Hershey's syrup. If I didn't have to drive home I could have sat there all night and enjoyed several of these. As a fan of porters and sweet stouts this is right up my alley- chocolately, malty sweetness that I could drink all night, or even for breakfast. It looks great, but I didn't get much out of the aroma. In my book the texture and flavor of this beer makes it one of my top session beers.

4.26/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Well balanced and not overpowering - surprisingly drinkable for a flavored brew. Some have reported this is artificial and cloying - but I did not find it that way.
It had a weak, tan head that did not last long. (My biggest complaint). Just a bit of lacing on the glass. The color was a classic dark, rich mahogany brown. Mild vanilla-caramel nose and a sweetish malt taste with undertones of caramel, vanilla and bitter chocolate. The mouthfeel is very smooth. It has a gentle finish and hints of coffee in the nose on the swallow. Overall a nice, balanced brew

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Purchased in bottle. Pours a 1/4" light tan head. Dark amber brown body, extremely smooth. Despite being a porter tastes light, but still hoppy. On first sip, I didn't taste anything reminiscent of vanilla, then it got stronger about 1/5 down the glass which stays consistent from there. Definitely tastes of vanilla bean- pure, somewhat sweet, with a sense of woody spice. Great beer for pairing with desserts.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Pours black at first, but looks dark garnet red with backlighting. A thick motor oil head, dark tan.

S: Sweet, and flowery. Some raspberry, and of course, vanilla with burnt coffee. Nicely balanced.

T: Heavy sweet with thick toasted and hoppy bitterness. Vanilla again, with molasses and rosewater.

M: Thick and almost meaty, nearly chewable.

D: The heavy sweet and bitter limit the drinkability, but it's still a pleasant experience.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery