Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,176 |  Reviews: 1,087

Too thin. Awful aftertaste. Vanilla was too subtle, almost non-existent. Either a bad bottle or a bad beer.

Bought a 6 pack of this because I'm a fan of Vanilla Porters. The cap just about burst off the top of the 1st 2 bottles I opened and the proceeded to pour as as if I just shook the bottles on the way home. So after dumping them I opened the 3rd only to pour a flat beer, tasted and dumped, opened a 4th only for it to explode open. I then drove them back to the store which iI go to often and traded it for something else! Leinies Snowdrift Vanilla Porter instead!

1.21/5  rDev -65.9%

I picked this up because I like vanilla, and I like porter. oops!

Pours rather typical for a porter, not quite as dark, with a little bitty head, and bubbles on the inside of the glass, like a coke.

Smell...Yuck! Smells like soured milk. This thing stunk so bad my wife smelled it six feet away!

Taste very sweet, very vanilla with a harsh, metallic aftertaste at first but starts to take on the spoiled milk taste as the drink progesses.

Mouthfeel is probobly the best thing this beer has going for it. It's soft and smooth enough, but I really wish this one was thin so it would go away.

Normally, I can choke anything down, but this one I had to pitch into the yard...I hope it doesn't kill the grass.

I really wanted to like this brew, maybe it was a bad bottle, but this one was just plain nasty. I've got 5 more, but I'm afraid to even open another. I"ll re-review, if I get the guts to try it again...with different results.

1.25/5  rDev -64.8%

1.35/5  rDev -62%

Awful all around for real. The First sip was just ok at best. No vanilla taste at all. Smell is like your breath after a night of heavy drinking. Poor idea with poor execution.

If you find this. Leave it sit where you found it. Pick up something else.

1.47/5  rDev -58.6%

12 brown bottle served in a nonic glass. Date on side of bottle wasn't notched out.

Mirky,mahogany with deep reddish hues. Tan head that loudly fizzled out like soda,no retention,not leaving any lacing.

Faint aromas,sweet candied carmell with a oakey/vanilla scent.

Earthy/woody with a mustyiness. Very sweet and syrupy/scorched malt. Very cola like with some dark fruitness,lots of vanilla (artifical extract-like) finishes on the dry side.

Meduim to thick bodied,syrupy with a bit a cloyingness. Was too sweet and syrupy to have any drinkability. could not finish this one. Was more like a cough syrup than a beer.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.67/5  rDev -53%

*review from notes on 3/3/10*

Pours a dark brown, coffee color leaving very little head with next to no retention. A bit of vanilla on the nose, but not a whole lot of aroma's to speak of. Taste is not at all what i expect from a porter - a hint of vanilla and some caramel / roasted malts, but the overwhelming flavor i get is a metallic sourness that is not appealing at all. Also very thin and lacking carbonation. I couldn't even make it through this whole bottle, the first true "drain pour" I've had.

I didn't find any kind of bottled on / best by date anywhere - perhaps it was a bad bottle? It was bought from a very reputable shop, properly stored. Im willing to give this another shot (if i come across this beer again) and adjust my review if warranted.

1.7/5  rDev -52.1%

pour: dark, mild head

smell: wheres the vanills, slight sower funk

taste: again, wheres the vanilla, now I get to taste the funk

mouthfeel: now i feel the funk, and not in a good way
Drinkability: not really

overall, do not waste your time much better beers for the money

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery