Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,176 |  Reviews: 1,087
1.7/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

1.8/5  rDev -49.3%

Damnit, I really want to like this beer. But I can't, it's just too sweet. Candy like sweet. Maybe if the brewery had stamped a date on the bottle or the case it came in then I could say "Self, this beer is past it's prime and therefore must not be reviewed" Shit fire boys!! If the brewery didn't think that freshness of their product was an issue then I must assume that they expect a few bad reviews of their product to come their way, so here goes:

Poured into a glass and formed a nice light tan head over a deep brown body, no staying power to the head yet light lacing remained to the end. The smell is sweet, sickeningly so with only a syrupy not quite vanilla odor. No evidence of hops or grain or malt or anything appetizing. The taste is slightly better and yet I feel as though I'm drinking Vanilla Coke's evil twin. Or Vanilla Pepsi's Mini-Me. And they wish to do me harm, They have assaulted my palate with flavors that no human should be subjected to. Yet, I shall persevere to the end, finishing this glass not knowing whether my mouth will taste again. Somewhere in there is a slight flowery taste, lost amidst proto-vanilla, hops maybe. Mouthfeel, well it feels like a porter, thinner than a stout and thicker than a good lager. Drinkability? No friggin' way. If the choice was between this and soda pop then the soda pop would be better choice. Hell, water'd be a better choice. Possibly the first drain pour I've ever encountered, or perhaps this would make an excellent birthday gift for my brother in law. Hmmmm...decisions, decisions.

1.81/5  rDev -49%

A - Deep brown hue, cola-like, not so much head or lace.

S - Uhh ohh. This doesn't smell good. It smells like someone went overboard with the Glade vanilla air freshener. Actually it smells like someone spilled several gallons of vanilla extract. I guess there is a bland beer underneath it, but I don't care to be assaulted by the perfume-y vanilla any longer.

T - Uggghhh. This is tough stuff. Sickeningly cloying; a chemically enhanced mess.

M - Decent; it is just about the only non-catastrophe.

D - Never again.

1.83/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.87/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle poured in a New Belgium snifter.

A - Virtually no head on the pour. What's there disappeared almost immediately. Very deep ruby red and pretty opaque.

S - The bottle after the pour smells distinctively of vanilla, but the nose of the glass presents hops. Getting the beer up on the sides of the glass releases vanilla along with some caramel. As the beer warms in the glass, the vanilla takes over the nose just as it does the taste.

T - There's the vanilla, almost like tasting straight extract - it's rather astringent. There's also a bit of roasted malts, a touch of 50% chocolate, and noticeable bittering hops. Finish is an unpleasant medicinal taste that needs a waterback to get rid of it.

M - Light carbonation. Rather thin structure. Finish plants itself in the back-middle of the tongue and stays.

D - There's nothing subtle or nuanced about the components of this beer - they compete with each other instead of blending and complimenting. Way too much cheap vanilla extract. Bakers know a little vanilla goes a long way and this beer proves how easy it is to abuse the flavor. It's a bowser, and a porter in name only.

1.93/5  rDev -45.6%

Can sum it up in three words - Unremarkable, barely partakable,

In concept, a vanilla flavored porter sounds good, but in execution it seems like not such a great idea. Even though they claim vanilla beans were used in the production, it tastes more like vanilla extract. There's a kind of sour bitterness to the beer that I don't find attractive at all. Without the addition of the vanilla, this would be a run of the mill bland porter, there's nothing special going on here. I wouldn't buy this one again.

1.93/5  rDev -45.6%

Looks like darker Coca Cola with less carb bubbles. finger of head, receding in its own good time.

Vanilla overtakes everything else on the smell.

Strong cloying vanilla flavor. tastes kinda like when i steamed vanilla bean powder with milk=slightly burnt. lightly roasty, milky,carmel in the distance. very sweet...very very sweet. If Vanilla Coke was a beer, breckenridge would make it.

Slightly thin mouthfeel yet creamy. very much like slightly carbinated milk. Gives me that feeling after a soda that their is syrup in my mouth i need to clean off.

Too sweet for my tastes, i dont like spoonfulls of vanilla sugar.

1.96/5  rDev -44.8%

I tried an AB winter brew this past season that had vanilla in it. It was really the first time I had tried it and I liked it. I was thinking this would taste similar, at least the hinting of vanilla. As the AB product was not a porter.

I opened the bottle and the smell was not what I expected, very strong and pungent. I poured it into a pint glass and noted very little head. The color was dark brown.

I liked the first taste until about midway through. I got nailed by a ton of different flavors, one that hinted of metal. I really did not pick up much on the vanilla, but more of a chocolate coffee overtone. The after taste was just as bad, and the hint of metal stayed in my mouth for about 10 seconds or so.

I didn’t notice the mouth feel being off so much, it went down pretty easy and thankfully didn’t leave some kind of film in my mouth.

I decided to keep going of course, but could not finish the entire glass. This is a rarity for me as I am sure it is with most of you. I have no idea how everyone is giving this such high scores, and I am wondering if I got a bad batch or porters just aren’t my thing?

1.98/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Nice cola color with no head. Nose is very sweet and vanilla. Taste is heavy vanilla with hints of toffee and root beer. Strong finish. I don't know if this was an old bottle but this beer was way too much vanilla. Tasted like a melted flat root beer float and not much else. Not a fan.

Too sweet. Too much vanilla flavoring. Tastes like a soft drink. Where's the porter?

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery