Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,162 |  Reviews: 1,085

Vanilla in beer is not good, it was a drain pour for me

2.01/5  rDev -43.4%

I have sampled the wares of this nice, and generally dependable brewpub while skiing on several occasions, and was surprised by just how terrible this beer was. Its taste was a combo of diacetyl, formaldehyde and soured vanilla cream soda. It was a beer that I literally took about three sips of, and promptly poured out. I have little to say about this beer other than avoid it at all costs. Colorado has excellent craft brews across the state, New Belgium, Avery, Great Divide to name just a few, and even Breckenridge's other styles. You would be much better off to take advantage of those, and limit your vanilla intake to ice cream.

2.01/5  rDev -43.4%

Ap: Beautiful clear dark color with reddish highlights. The very thin head was gone before I found my pen and notepad. No lacing on the glass.
Sm: Not much smell, sweet.
Ta: Overly sweet and syrupy with obvious vanilla flavor (I like vanilla). Over the top sweetness and syrup feeling.
Mf: Medium body, the sweetness clings to my mouth, not in a good way.
Dr: Nope. Kind of like a vanilla Coke, only much sweeter. I'd drink it again if my only other choice was Budlight.

2.02/5  rDev -43.1%

Not sure how a brewery with such a good reputation can brew such a bad ale. I was expecting an American Porter with perhaps a note of Vanillia bean. What I got instead was a vinuous, funky beer with no Porter character at all.

The appearence was the best thing about this beer. It poured a deep brown, ruby red with plenty of fluffy head and lacing. The aroma was surprisingly tart, fruity, with sour wine notes. The taste was very strange. Funky and a bit vinuous -much like a white wine. No porter quality at all. I suppose the vanillia dominated the taste way too much. Very silky body -much like smooth creme. When combined with off flavors, the body was quite nasueating -much like creame gone bad. Couldn't finish.

2.03/5  rDev -42.8%

Smell is weak, but mainly vanilla. Taste is unremarkable. The main flavor is vanilla, with some alcohol taste, but it is otherwise flat. Aftertaste turns a bit like cough syrup. Too sweet for me I guess. Not much carbonation, and mouthfeel is smooth, but thinner than I'd like. Not my thing. Overall, I'm disappointed.

2.04/5  rDev -42.5%

2.06/5  rDev -42%

Not my cup o brew I guess. Poured a nice deep brown with a one finger light tan head that had decent retention but left no lacing behind. Smell was not too bad, but not great either. Light vanilla, tiny bit of coffee, slight roasted grains. Straightforward, but not off putting.

Taste is just not good imo. The vanilla is slightly artificial, and completely overpowers the coffee and roasted notes that were present in the aroma. No hop profile is noticeable. The lack of any other noticeable porter characteristics makes the vanilla become cloying pretty quickly. I rarely ever drain pour, but I only made it through about half of this. Not good.

2.06/5  rDev -42%

Sadly, the vanilla is barely noticeable, but the bitterness is front and center.

2.07/5  rDev -41.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Dark chocolate color with blackberry colored highlights. Tan head of about one finger in size. Great lacing. Head turns into a film on top of the beer. Bubbles on top of varying degrees in size.

Aroma is burnt malts. Also vegetal. Cabbage and dirty diapers. Not pleasing at all. Stale and metallic. NO VANILLA at all.

Fruit flavors hit the tongue right off the bat. The burnt and roasted malt is kept to a minimum. Chalky and grainy. Very toasty, like burnt toast.

This was just a disaster. Besides the appearance, this was just about gross. I dont know what went wrong but something did. Chalky mouthfeel, dry finish. No good. I have five more of these to drink. Great!

2.1/5  rDev -40.8%

2.12/5  rDev -40.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small snifter. No head and no lacing after being poured. Very little carbonation almost flat. Vanilla flavor is all but lost. Very noticeable tinny, metal flavoring. Flat mouthfeel because of lack of carbonation. Very disappointing compared to other times I have had this brew. Flavor doesn't live up to its porter profile.

2.13/5  rDev -40%

Appearance -- Pours a dark amber hue with nearly no head. It coats the glass, but no lace apparent.

Smell -- Dark toast, vanilla extract, pancake syrup, cocoa powder. There is a general air of artificiality to the aroma.

Taste -- Toasted malt, hard water, grassy and earthy hops, vanilla extract, chocolate, and maple-flavored syrup. Lingering flavors of vanilla and cocoa.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with harsh carbonation. Chalky finish.

Drinkability -- This was...weird. So much of the flavor profile tasted fake: artificial vanilla, artificial maple, cheap chocolate. These things aside, I don't think the rest of the beer would be any better without them. It just doesn't come together. Pass on this one.

2.13/5  rDev -40%

The brown clarity of imitation vanilla makes its way into the glass. A pour from a good height somehow only yields the slightest amount of soap-bubble head. looks a bit thin, though clarity is good.
Then the memories of a childhood drug come flooding back.. I can't remember what it was, but one of those medicines I had to swallow... and images of my sister baking cookies with imitation vanilla extract... must have been almond cookies, I can smell the almonds... and the smoky mountain sweetener that my mom used to put in her coffee... the vanilla candles that I loved so much until I sniffed them so long I got a migraine as an 8-year-old... funny how aromas can conjure such vivid memories, more than any other sense.
The flavor and mouthfeel follow the profile and get worse... the overwhelming sweetness of the vanilla, but thin... is this imitation vanilla extract, simply carbonated and chilled? It has the body for this possibility, and only the faintest grain notes show it to be anything else.
I don't suppose I'll have this again. The sickly sweetness, almond notes, and cloying finish are bringing back that childhood migraine... I've had good vanilla beers, I love the flavor vanilla... but this just tastes cheap, imitative. Disappointing.

2.15/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer pours a dark brown color. The head is a quarter inch in height, and recedes quickly into no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is of roasted malt and vanilla extract. The taste is similar. The vanilla flavor is very artificial, but there is just enough malt to keep in from tasting like I'm drinking a bottle of vanilla extract. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer that I will be avoiding in the future.

2.16/5  rDev -39.2%

arrives dark brown, with a little reddish color at the edges. Head is fizzy like that of a cola and quickly redeces.
I appreciate good vanilla, but if this was good vanilla it was ruined in the process. Very extract-y. Artificial almost. A light toasted malt aroma underneath - where's the roasted malt? Smells waaay too sweet. Let's give it a try...
Nope, not for me. Sweet, definitely qualifies as cloying. Rampant vnailla, light roasty and toasty malt flavors. Just a little bit drying. I keep thinking of creme soda although it isn't quite THAT sticky.
Thin (although as much as I dislike the flavor, I suppose it could be worse if it wasn't so thin!) too spiritzy, again reminiscent of a soft drink. I'll have great deal of trouble finishing this one, and won't order another anytime soon. Sure, you could pay me to drink this, but there are so many better examples out there...

2.18/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This came in a craft beer combo pack. Color is black with red tints and a head that dissipates but sticks around on top. Surprisingly no vanilla smell, just a good Porter smell. The taste is not very good.

2.19/5  rDev -38.3%

Another selection while at Gingerman, Dallas. Inky black appearance in my pint glass. Very thin head. Here's where it all goes downhill. Aroma? What aroma? It was barely perceptable. Don't you think this thing would be brimming with vanilla and chocolate malt? Couldn't detect anything at all. The taste was equally distressing. Only the slightest hint of vanilla and maybe a whiff of coffeee bean (moreso than vanilla bean). It tastes bland. This thing has no balls whatsoever. I even let it warm up and still nothing. I suppose its drinkable if you're into very mild, somewhat flavorless beer. A total snoozefest.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery