Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,176 |  Reviews: 1,087

3.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle with no dating that I remember seeing on the bottle or label to indicate bottling date or freshness date. Poured into a 16 oz nonic style pint glass. I bought this six pack after a sales rep was handing out Breckenridge samples at the liquor store I stopped by on my way home from work.

Appearance - An aggressive pour yields barely a finger of cocoa powder colored head, and it is very sparse/thin looking. The head has dissipates almost immediately, reducing to a rim of foam around the edge of the glass and a sparse mottling of film before I can even pick up the glass after rinsing the bottle out to recycle. Body is also a bit thin looking, overall a dark walnut brown, but with some translucence and lighter brown, reminding me of cola with less carbonation. Lacing is almost nonexistent.

Smell - Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt and lots of sweet vanilla characteristic are the three aromatic pillars of this brew with the vanilla being the dominant profile. When I sampled it at the liquor store, I remembered it being more rich, with more chocolate and coffee notes, but that is sadly missing. I can't help but wonder if my sample was influenced by the regular oatmeal stout that I had tried moments before.

Taste - Again, vanilla is the star, giving the beer somewhat the impression of mild coffee with too much cream and sugar. Bittersweet and roasted notes in the form of chocolate and oats are also present, but take a back seat to the sweetness. I honestly like it, but wish there was a bit more bitterness to counter the sweetness. Roasted malt is present, but subdued.

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer falls down the most, imho. Much too thin and lacking in body for a porter. Carbonation is also low, and the aftertaste is slightly sweet.

Overall, it's a beer that drinks pretty well as a whole, but doesn't really do anything amazing on any of the individual components. Definitely a case of the sum being better than the parts. I can't help wonder if Breckenridge would be well served to blend their oatmeal stout and vanilla porter to improve the body and balance between the sweet and bitter components.

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.48/5  rDev -2%

This beer has a very dark color

Poured with very little head.

It has a somewhat strong aroma of coffee, which I like.

The initial taste is black coffee, the vanilla comes at the end.

It is not a bad beer, just would not be the first one that I will buy.

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

3.54/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

One of a kind - yes. At first I found this un-remarkable, but in 2 more tries, I like it better.
It makes a great blend with a hoppy session beer like Boat Beer, improves both.
MY recommendation with this beer is to blend it.

EXCEPT for a dessert beer, or as part of a sweet series, I'd skip this one.

A - Pours a deep dark brown, with plenty of amber highlights. Decent head, tight, returns with a swirl and laces moderatly. Seems slightly thin.

S - When I got a fresh bottle I found the aroma satisfying and complex:
Nuts, sour malt, chocolate and of course vanilla, and a bit of bakery. (but do I want this much vanilla in my beer)?

T - The flavor answers the question: No, I dont want this much vanilla in my beer. Definitely let this warm and drink it like an after-dinner drink.
Follows the smell... flavors of coffee and roasted nuts upfront giving way to cola/caramel/vanilla sweetness with caramel and toffee. Surprisingly not cloying, but still too sweet and too vanilla for me.

M - Starts creamy but end too thin and sweet. Neat tingle and long finish. Grows on you.

D - "for someone with a sweet tooth." I'd not have more than one. I'd save for dessert only.

This brew does get better as it warms, serve at cellar (porter) temperature.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown color gives up a fine foam of neatly organized bubbles.

The scent is dry and malty with an overtone of vanilla bean, which seems appropriate.

T huh e flavor is more vanilla forward with more dry qualities and less sweetness. There's a bit of barley with some chocolate malt.

The feel is easy enough but it is a bit sprite and watery. I would like it to be more thick for vanilla beer.

I really like this beer and think it's amongst the best beer to mix with chocolate and stouter ales.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery