Vanilla Porter | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American Porter

Deep in the jungles of Papua New Guinea and Madagascar grows the perfect ingredient for an extraordinary Porter brewed in Colorado. Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. An ale that has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavor of a classic Porter, with an enigmatic surprise thrown in for good measure.

Added by Mebuzzard on 01-13-2006

Ratings: 4,188 |  Reviews: 1,087
3.73/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler. Enjoyed at home.

A: Rich dark brown with ruby shades. A light brown head that dissipated slowly, as well as solid lacing on the glass. Beautiful, dark porter coloration.

S: Very bold coffee and chocolate scents with nutty undertones. The big question: Where's the vanilla? Very faint and difficult to detect.

T: Medium body. Vanilla is more evident here, but still not significantly so. Nuttiness with a hint of coffee is the predominant taste combination. It's a slightly sweet, malty start, with a somewhat bitter finish. The balance is interesting, but again, for a "vanilla porter," the vanilla is lacking.

M: Smooth overall. Good carbonation brings out the different flavors. I'd say that this porter tends on the lighter side of a medium body.

O: A good porter! Vanilla flavor is underwhelming, to the point where I'd suggest a change in the name of this brew. Nevertheless, it was delicious -- I'd rather have a delicious beer with a slightly off-the-mark name than one with a great name and a disappointing flavor. I'd have this beer again in a heartbeat.

2.76/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Very dark chocolate color with very little head on the initial pour. It initially looked as dark as a Guinness but didn't have the same head.

S - I got a very faint hint of the vanilla but overall there was not much of any smell to this. I expected more of a vanilla aroma and it was barely present.

T - Taste was fair -- there was no immediate overpowering single flavor that came though. You get the slight vanilla flavor with a hint of coffee. It is really a mellow flavor and overall decent drinkability.

M - Very smooth overall. As mentioned there is very little head from the bottle and seems on my batch anyway that the carbonation was at a low level making it smooth and easy to drink.

O - Overall decent beer - gave it a 3.0 because it didn't scream "I must have another" by any means but was good and not offensive to the nose or palette. I would say a decent starter-porter for those looking to try one.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

4.82/5  rDev +35.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Dark, dark brown, but not black.

This is a great tasting beer. The smell is fantastic also.

Very smooth, very little bitterness, but still not overly sweet.

Slight vanilla taste replaces the chocolate usually associated with porters.. but it isn't that strong... just different.

Not an overpowering coffee flavor, but it's there and very good.

I love this beer. My new favorite porter I think. Can't wait to try it on tap somewhere.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

A - When poured out it left a small half finger off whit head that fizzled out quickly. It looks black until held up to the light then you can see through this maroon brown beer. Not as dark as other porters I have had.

S - This beer is pleasant to smell with a sweet nuttiness, also some dark malt and coffee in the background.

T - The beginning bitterness followed buy nut and coffee. Throughout this one I get a vanilla more of that bitterness that is almost salty. I get a dark malt flavor as well. This is a really tasty beer for only being 4.7% abv.

M - The feel of this one is nice and smooth with the right amount of carbonation. Pleasant to drink.

O - This is a really nice Porter with a vanilla twist. Coming in tat 4.7% this one would be a nice session brew with a lot of good qualities for the lower abv. One I will come back to from time to time. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

3.12/5  rDev -12.1%

Purchased while traveling through Colorado. 12 oz Bottle poured into a pint glass.

appearance: Dark brown; appears non-cloudy when held to the light. Medium carbonation - seems appropirate for style. Creamy dark white 1/2" head that held for about 5 minutes into the drink. Normal amount of lacing on the glass.

smell: Normal or average Porter nose; nutty with some coffee notes. I did NOT notice or pick up and vanilla notes or smells. No hop notes detected.

taste: Nice medium coffee and nutty flavor noted; slightly sweet in the begining with a devloping balance towards dry and slightly bitter towards the end. Again, I did NOT pick up any vanilla flavor. Otherwise, a nice balanced porter flavor.

mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation that is style-appropriate. I would have expected a little more mouthfeel; this beer is on the medium light side for body, but I really like it in general.

overall: Solid middle of the road porter in general, but for me, i didn't pick up the vanilla. I was kind of disapointed in that - but it was me and not the beer. Results may vary for others that try this beer.

comments: I'm looking forward to trying this on tap if I get a chance. Hopefully I'll pick up that vanilla flavor that I'm missing. All in all, an o.k. porter that I would try again.

3.02/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Thin brown pour to black in glass. Very light carbonation though there is a little white lacing on the edges.

S - Faint nutty with some chocolate notes. There is sweetness there as well but I can not tell if it is vanilla or not. It's nice but very subdued.

T - Vanilla/toffee with chocolate. The vanilla hits at the very front and and very end of with the chocolate and malt between. It's pleasant while it lasts but not strong. The problem comes that after a few sips the tastes fades away. I have a feeling this would be best enjoyed with food that resets the palate.

M - Light. For my taste it is too light but drinkable. A bit of soft carbonation is present as well.

O - It's a good choice for a session porter but the taste is forgettable even while drinking. I really wanted to like it but in the end I felt it was just "OK".

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.32/5  rDev -6.5%

Into a snifter.

A - A deep black with a thin tan head. Little retention/lacing.

S - Rich vanilla and nuts. The aroma is robust although I would like to see more vanilla rather than the big nutty presence. I get a touch of caramel.

T - The big tastes here are the nuts and coffee. Sadly the vanilla takes a back seat. There is a vanilla presence, although it is a heavy sweetness to follow.

M - A medium-minus body with light carbonation. Not bad, although I wish it had a bit more mass.

O - A feel there is a lack of vanilla in this "vanilla porter." The vanilla is only here to satisfy those with a sweet tooth. While I was once intrigued by this, I will not pursue it any further.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

This is much more than a dessert beer or night cap. I could actually imagine drinking this on a hot day or pairing it nicely with food. That's actually quite a feat for a darker beer.

Flavor is balanced between vanilla aroma and sweetness with dry roasted malt that has some burnt and even sour character. None of these flavors are particular lingering which is what makes it so drinkable and versatile.

Overall- A lovely beer for anytime that walks you through some complexity but none of the flavors are overpowering. This can be a good or bad thing for some but for me the multitude of flavors and versatility makes this one stand out.

Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery