Lucky U IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American IPA

Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Golding hops.

Two Row Pale, Munich, Carmel, Torrified Wheat malts.

68 IBU.

Added by Bitterbill on 06-28-2009

3.5

Ratings: 1,228 |  Reviews: 324

4.84/5  rDev +38.3%

4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

4.72/5  rDev +34.9%

No kidding - one of my CANtacts laid this on me in a CAN during a recent visit! I CAN't believe that I am the first reviewer for this serving type, but it really does exist. I am not simply padding The CANQuest (TM) numbers - if I were to do that and got caught at it, I would be beyond ashamed.

From the CAN: "A hoppy homage to a Denver landmark - the Tivoli brewery"; "Drink Up Fortuitous One"; "Breckenridge Brewery - Fine Colorado Ales".

The Crack revealed a beer that was anxious to come out and play! It was filled nearly to the brim and an instant burble of light-tan head came right up and out. I like when my beer is exciting. Equally exciting was the aftermath of the Glug as I looked at two thick fingers of eggshell-white head with great retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was grapefruit-citrusy up front with a slight mintiness (spearmint) behind it. Oh sweet mercy, I have been jonesing for not just an IPA, but some CANned IPA and my prayers have been answered! Lucky ME! Mouthfeel was medium with an initial blast of citrusy hops accompanied by a caramel maltiness in the mouth. I began to think (again) of the Brach's Orange Caramels that my grandmother put out on the coffee table in my youth. In the meantime, the lacing began to appear and it was thick and sticky, perhaps requiring a jackhammer to get it off later. Finish was initially breathtaking in its hoppiness and cooled by the caramel flavor on the extreme finish. This was freakin' GREAT! Man, I would absolutely put some of these CANs in my cooler (if I could just find some).

For those that may scoff at The CANQuest (TM) efforts, you might take a look at my scores for this in a bottle. The CAN really allowed the hops to hold up nicely and it has caused me to reCANsider a beer that I had previously dismissed.

4.61/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great taste and aroma. Wonderful summer beer before a Rockies game!

4.54/5  rDev +29.7%

I really enjoyed the hop aroma very citrus(tangerine/orange). The mouthfeel was average. The taste was very good very hoppy. A nice reddish color when poured into a tulip glass. Overall I would definitely buy this again. I was a little hesitant on this one since past experiences with Breckenridge has not been that good. They have definitely redeemed themselves with this one.

4.47/5  rDev +27.7%

A- Slightly hazy orange-amber color with a nice, soapy head that leaves some spot of lacing

S- Juicy, Stinky hops with herbal and citrus notes.

T- Really all over the hop spectrum. From light and floral to dank and herbal. The malt backbone is sugar simple and lets the hops shine

M- Smooth and filmy with low carbonation

D- I really like this IPA. Solid brew with just enough hops to be interesting and no off flavors to detract.

4.44/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Crisp, smooth, great tasting IPA

4.42/5  rDev +26.3%

Great earthy/piney hop aroma, very pleasant. Low but ideal levels of carbonation and great dark blonde color. Smooth earthy hop bitterness flavor over a great balance of malt. Light body that drinks very nicely. The finish was very smooth and the hop flavor and bitterness stays as the beer ends with a sweet "good bye". Great beer on tap with such fresh hop flavor and aroma! Hope those flavors don't diminish too much in a bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A bit malt heavy for your typical IPA. Packs a small punch with the ABV %. Good solid beer.

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Very good IPA for the money. Picked this up in a "pick you own 6 pack" for $6 for the whole thing. Poured into a sniffer to enjoy.

A - Looked great to start with. THEN I held it up to the light. It looked like a snow globe because there was so much stuff floating around inside the glass. The beer had a great caramel color.

S - Hops, fruit, caramel and woody. Very good

T - Was great. When the beer was at 40 degrees it was a little light in the flavor, but once it reached around 50 the flavors developed quite a bit more.

M - Clean feel and very smooth.

D - All of these make for a good drinking beer.

4.32/5  rDev +23.4%

A=on tap at Breckenridge Oktoberfest...pours a nice deep copper color with ample head

S=oozes pine on the nose, crisp and bitter

T=great pine crispness and quite dry and bitter.

M=good feel, really light on the carbonation, some oiliness on the finish, light aftertaste

D=nice beer very drinkable and enjoyable, could have kept going on this all day....

4.32/5  rDev +23.4%

A: Hazy orange with a large, attractive white head. Leaves a nice lace.

S: Orange and Resin, very nice. A slight, caramelly sweetness behind it.

T: Taste doesn't hold up as bold as the aroma, but still a nice citrus, maybe more grapefruit that the orange in the aroma.

M; Mouthfeel is super nice, the exact balance I'm looking for in an IPA. Perfect.

D: Pretty darn drinkable, but nt enough to make me drink only this in a night if I have the chance.

Lucky U IPA from Breckenridge Brewery