Lucky U IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American IPA

Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Golding hops.

Two Row Pale, Munich, Carmel, Torrified Wheat malts.

68 IBU.

Added by Bitterbill on 06-28-2009

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,239 |  Reviews: 326

3.57/5  rDev +4.4%

From a diconic,

Very nice foamy, pillowy head; loads o' lacing. Typical deep amber
color for an AIPA.

Very potent nose with plenty of hops but much more malt
smell than almost any AIPA that I have had. It's a complex of
aromas hence I gave it a higher than average score there.

The foretaste is kind of citrusy(?) but rapidly followed with those buckets of malt then a bitterness at the back of the tongue.

The feel is just average, not notable.

Very worthy beer and more complex than most AIPAs. If you
are looking for fresh hops to dominate, this is not the AIPA for
you. But, if you like maltiness with a good portion of bitter, then
definitely check this out.

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%

Clear copper color with great clarity and a one finger white head that fades fast and leaves ok lacing.

The aroma is a clean, bready malt backbone with a touch of caramel dominated with floral and citrus and a touch of pine.

Clean malt bottom. Hop flavors dominate with sticky resiny pine notes cutting through floral and citrus flavors. Out of balance. Needs a touch more sweet malt.

Refreshing, crisp, and medium bodied.

Overall, an easy drinking beer. Out of balance, but not bitter. Interesting, but not my favorite IPA.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

I picked up a bottle of Breckenridge's Lucky U IPA this week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I have never reviewed a beer from this brewery but I have sampled some of their beers a couple years ago and I thought they were solid, I hope this one is too, so lets see how it goes. The bottling date was pretty smudged so I couldn't read it but I know this is fairly fresh since the store just got them. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is nicely done and it looks pretty good. It poured a nice light golden orange color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a pretty proper looking American IPA.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of hops, it smells like a half and half mixture of piney and citrus hops with a little bit of floral hops thrown in for good measure. Next comes the malts that smell like they are pale malts, they have a medium amount of sweetness and impart a pale malt and sweet grain aroma. I also picked up a little bit of spicy yeast. This is a decent smelling IPA.

T- The taste is much lighter then the aroma lead me to believe. It started off with some pale malts that had a low amount of sweetness and imparted a bland grainy flavor. Next up comes the hops which impart some light hop flavors that are piney and floral with a small amount of citrus. The flavors seemed a little muted and they didn't come together that well, where was all the citrus hops that I picked in the aroma.

M- Slightly smooth, dry, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I wish it was a little smoother but the carbonation and body were fine for the style.

Overall I thought this was a pretty average American IPA that wasn't that memorable or interesting, I wish the flavor was much more like the aroma. This beer had an OK amount of drinkability and it went down somewhat smooth, but the bland flavors couldn't hold my attention and I wasn't interested in drinking another. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance they were both good for the style. What I liked least about this beer was the blandness of the flavor, I needed a better malt profile and more hops to make this a memorable American IPA. I wouldn't buy this again and I wouldn't recommend this beer, it's not hard to find a better IPA for the same price. I was pretty unimpressed with this beer, this brewery can make some pretty solid beers, but unfortunately this wasn't one of them, hopefully the next beer I try from them is better and not as bland.

3.82/5  rDev +11.7%

A hazy lazy amber colored ale. With a rather aggressive pour I wasnn't able to produce much of a foamy crown. The crown is a slight beige color and leaves some sticky lacing. That being said the appearance is rather plain and boring. Aroma is toasted caramel malts with a light hop bouquet. Hop essence seems all over the place. Taste, yeah pretty good. There is sweet malts providing a nice balance to the hops. Hops have a nice citrus and floral taste. Not as flavorful as one might expect. I need to pay more attention to usable date. Taste is a little weak across the board. This beer is smooth and easy drinking, it's only lightly bitter. With the exception of the appearance this is a really fine ale.

Lucky U IPA from Breckenridge Brewery