Lucky U IPA | Breckenridge Brewery

Breckenridge Brewery
Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: American IPA

Amarillo, Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Apollo, Fuggle, Golding hops.

Two Row Pale, Munich, Carmel, Torrified Wheat malts.

68 IBU.

Added by Bitterbill on 06-28-2009

Liked:
3.42/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,230 |  Reviews: 325

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from brown 12 oz undated bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours an orange amber color that is hazy in nature. An aggressive pour only yielded a 1/2 finger white head. Not much retention and only moderate lacing. Rather lazy in appearance.

S - A more subdued aroma than anticipated with soft aromatic floral tones along with hints of tangerine citrus and earthy pine on the hops. A faint malty sweetness is underlying.

T - More malt forward than I recall. However the beer starts with a pleasant citrus and pine hop character found in the nose along with a medium bitterness. A hint of rye and spice in the middle before the malt character comes through. I found the caramel malt dominated the palette and allowed for a less pleasing and balanced take on the AIPA.

M - Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Finishes crisp.

O - Not a hob bomb by any means though I could only put down a few of these at a time. I remember enjoying this beer more on tap as I had the same reaction after each of the 6 bottles I purchased. Not a bad beer but certainly not the best. I would likely not purchase again just due to the numerous better options out there that are readily available.

Reviewed on: 04-22-2011 13:18:47

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

*I picked up an assorted six pack and it could be past its prime.

A- orange copper in color. I was not impressed with the head.

S- faint lemon

T- Hops but not getting a lot of flavor

M- medium body, it finishes with a little bit of a carbonation

O- I always wanted to try this IPA and this bottle was mostly average. I could not find a bottle date, I believe it was old. I will try another one at a later date and see what happens

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Chilled 12 oz. bottle poured vigorously into a tulip pint glass.

Look- Clear medium amber with a touch of rosy blush. Two fingers of incredible looking eggshell head that leaves a generous amount of lacing as it slowly settles to a medium film. I havn't often seen an IPA with a head this nice looking out of the bottle- It's like sticky seafoam or something.

Smell-Pine and lemon with a touch of something nutty. Agitation brings out a sour yeasty aroma, tilting the lemon towards lime. Pretty subtle, not offensively hoppy. Makes me think of camping, for some reason.

Taste- Crusty bread and grass, fading to turned earth with a lingering toasty flavor and a touch of something sweet and fruity towards the end. Even subtler than the aroma led me to expect. I don't get a lot of flavor from the hops, other than the initial "green" sensation, and it doesn't carry through very far. This definitely wouldn't pass for a hop-head's IPA, but its pretty inoffensive.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, moderate carbonation. Smooth and left me with a serious case of cotton mouth, though it wasn't particularly bitter.

Overall- This one grew on me as the glass emptied; somehow the whole comes off as better than the sum of the parts, and once you stop analyzing it, its pretty darn tasty. I also have a sneaking suspicion that it would be excellent on tap. In the end it's good, but not something I would pick up every day.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%