Autumn Ale | Breckenridge Brewery

Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: Old Ale

Availability: Fall

Our fall seasonal combines the malty goodness of a German lager with the clean crispness of an American ale. Brewed with Munich malts and a delicate blend of Bavarian hops, it's a full-bodied treat with a nutty-sweet middle, a warming alcohol level and notes of toasted grains. A pre-winter winner.

Added by Bitterbill on 10-08-2002

3.7

1.5/5  rDev -58.1%

1.79/5  rDev -50%

Bottle has a wild label: "It's Special", "After Rakin'" Autumn Ale, Fine Colorado Ales, Breckenridge Brewery. Munich Malts & Bavarian Hops, Deep Mahogany fall season ale, warms the soul, soothes the spirit... (Bottled on 2nd week of August 2007).

Pours as a very very dark brew that has a dark orange-brown-ruby red tint at the edges. 1/6" tan head was poured that quickly went away. Somewhat dreading this brew instead of looking forward to it. Certainly is mahogany - I'll have to rate this as average.

Smell is that of burnt/toast malts (munich), almost like old coffee somewhat. Does not appeal to me much but maybe someone else likes that aroma mix.

Tastes somewhat odd. Tastes like ground coffee, alcohol, almost like a barleywine/old ale mix. Definitely don't feel this beer so far. A few more sips and it doesn't improve much. Some bitterness at the end from the hops but the flavor doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to have to give this a below average score on taste. It isn't completely awful or devoid of taste, just doesn't appeal to me.

Mouthfeel is somewhat strange. Almost soapy, then an aftertaste of burnt coffee / hops hit you at end. Definitely not a mouthfeel I like. I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't so strange to experience.

Drinkability is poor for me. I had to pour out this beer without finishing it - I can't tolerate drinking something that tastes like coffee grounds - and wouldn't order this beer again unless it changed majorly. Overall - not a beer I wish to try again.

2.04/5  rDev -43%

Hazy dark reddish brown color with a small off white head that doesn't last long, not much lacing either. Rotten vegatable herbal aromas, some chocolate caramel flavors a bit on the bland side, medium bodied with a kind of watery mouthfeel, finishes clean and dry. I won't be buying this one again.

2.16/5  rDev -39.7%

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

2.25/5  rDev -37.2%

2.43/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Deep opaque ruby brown bordering on black. Very little head or lacing. Not the best looking brew.

S: Very peculiar smell, mostly roasty smoky tones.

T & M: Taste has coffee tones with a mix of hoppy bitterness on the finish. Strange balance. Almost porter like but without the creamy textures.

D: I felt very eh when it came to this brew. I can't say I enjoyed it much at all.

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

What kind of beer is this wacky stuff? Old Ale? Sure. Dark maroon colored body, you can only see through at the bottom of the glass. Head is off-white, small off the pour, and fades to a small film of foam. Head is dark roasty malts, slight acidity. Taste is relatively bland, like a watered down, underpowered porter in most respects. Undercarbonated body, very thin. This beer was off in almost every respect, although I am appreciateive of the effort from Breckenridge to try something new.

Good beer not great

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz bottle served in pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a dark brown color with a disappointing 1 finger head of bad thickness. Retention is awful.

S - Heavy caramel, toffee and not much else. Boring and uninspired.

T - Weak toasted malt and caramel mask a bit of cream, building to a watery finish. Hey, at least I wasn't expecting much.

M - Medium bodied and smooth. works for what's there.

D - Not awful, but I'd pass on this one in the future. Bland and not exciting.

2.54/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.54/5  rDev -29.1%

Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. Pretty color but not much going on in the flavor. I found it neither malty nor hoppy. It was not as good as their Christmas seasonal.

2.56/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle Inspection: Notes Munich malt and Bavarian hops. Bottle is MICROSCOPICALLY notched 8, week 3 (sampled 10, week 2).

Aroma: Earthy, almost musty malt base with a mild leafy floral hop.

Appearance: Dark brown showing clarity only in thin parts of my Sam Adams glass.

Flavor: Same earthy malt, with a mildly metallic leafy hop. Total beer is pretty balanced, mild sweetness coming through with a roasted malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, slightly oily texture.

Overall Impression: Meh. Pretty mild, flavors lend themselves towards funky; earthy, leafy, roasted. I was thinking Schwarzbier more than Old Ale. There is a light tannin character that seems to relate to dried leaves, so points for seasonal character. Still; itÂ’s not a terribly tasty beer. Pass.

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours very dark. Reminds me of root beer. One finger of head is all I got.

Smells of roasted barley and burnt coffee. Pretty strong.

Taste's like a cross between day old coffee and a average stout. It's certainly not a great beer. Finish is bitter.

Mouthfeel could surely be better. Fairly thin and fizzy.

Not sure I could drink more than one of these. I'll make it through this six pack, but I don't believe I'll buy it again.

2.67/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Autumn Ale from Breckenridge Brewery