Autumn Ale | Breckenridge Brewery

Colorado, United States
breckbrew.com

Style: Old Ale

Availability: Fall

Our fall seasonal combines the malty goodness of a German lager with the clean crispness of an American ale. Brewed with Munich malts and a delicate blend of Bavarian hops, it's a full-bodied treat with a nutty-sweet middle, a warming alcohol level and notes of toasted grains. A pre-winter winner.

Added by Bitterbill on 10-08-2002

Liked:
3.58/5
Alströms:
3.7

3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

So, I initially poured from the bottle into a Becker glass and was less than impressed. I'm currently drinking directly from the bottle, so I will review as is:

A: N/A. Pretty cool bottle I suppose.

S: Somewhat sweet, malty. Grain.

T: Slight nuttiness. Malt. Mild spice. Honestly, a bit underwhelming. I was expecting a bit more fullness and flavor given the 6.7% ABV and classification as "old ale". However, it goes down very smoothly. Actually, I feel myself chugging this one a bit.

M: Low to moderate carbonation. Seems a bit watery... maybe I need to adjust my expectations...

O: So, let's call this a "Fall Time Lawnmower Beer". I'll imagine that I've just raked a ton of leaves. I'm a bit tired. A bit sweaty. Good. I like this fine.

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

3.44/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep, dark mahogany color, nice light tan head. Slight roasted grain scent; hint of nuts. Taste is much like the aroma with the addition of a subtle hop bitterness and a twinge of alcohol presence in the background. Feel is smooth, medium-light; clean with a semi-dry finish.

A very good is somewhat mundane old ale. Malt flavors and feel are the highlights and should appeal to lovers of malt-centric flavored beers.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown and nearly opaque, some ruddy highlights, and a fine cap of beige foam that settles out quickly. Low aroma of caramel and cocoa, some toasty malt.

Flavor of dark malt, but smooth rather than roasted and bitter. Hints of cocoa and caramel, some smoke and leather, hints of marshmallow, and a subtle vanilla-oakey finish. Rich and multi-faceted flavors. Smooth and round mouthfeel, not overly full. Very enjoyable beer.

Autumn Ale from Breckenridge Brewery