Galaxy IPA

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Galaxy IPAGalaxy IPA
Notes: Australian Galaxy & American Cascade Hops create an intense hop aroma and flavor balanced with a medium malt body yielding a very drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Reviews: 40 | Ratings: 160 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.12/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Amber. 1 finger head.
Aroma: Moderate. Fruit/Citrus
Taste: Not quite as forward as the nose, but still good Galaxy
Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

CaliBeerBear from California, Mar 23, 2018
3.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Big Muddy Brewing "Galaxy IPA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle without production codes or freshness dating
$1.83 @ Cherry Hill Wine, Liquor & Beer (Wegmans), Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Interesting. The label reads "Bottled by our friends at O'Fallon Brewery...". Does that mean that they didn't brew it, they just bottled it? Well that would be a return to the old days of brewing. Anyway, it's poured a thick head of fluffy off-white foam atop a very hazy amber-orange body with golden highlights. The aroma displays a bready, gently caramelish malt and some limited citrusy/tropical fruit. It's not very strong, especially for an IPA, and I've got to ding it for that. Of course I don't know how old it is because there's no dating on the bottle so we'll see if it tastes oxidized when I taste it... hmmmm, hard to tell. I don't detect any clear oxidation (wet paper, cardboard, etc.) but oxidation can increase the caramel character of the malt and it is pretty caramelish, but I don't know so I'll continue as if this is the way it's supposed to be. The head has dropped at this point but it's still got a complete surface covering and there's some very nice lacing left behind. Back to the flavor, the malt dominates here as it does in the aroma, threaded through with notes of pine, flowers, and soft tropical fruit. A firm bitterness anchors it, and leaves some bitterness lingering in the aftertaste along with a touch of spiciness and earth. The strength is pretty well hidden although you do get the sense that it's there. The mouthfeel is decidedly medium-bodied and it's creamy and smooth with a moderate carbonation. Overall it's an OK beer although I'm hesitant to even call it an IPA given its lack of hops in both the flavor and aroma.

4/3.75/3.75/4/3.75 = 3.79

NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania, Mar 11, 2018

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Amber with a thin head
S: Tropical fruit, citrus, herbal
T: Matches the nose
M: Medium-bodied, bitter
O: A decent IPA though little unique

3.79/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look - copper color with slight white head and slightly cloudy
Smell - piney floral resin no fruit so im thinking I'm smelling the cascade and not the galaxy
Taste - piney floral like the scent and I still can't tell the galaxy is in there
Feel - medium body and carb
Overall - for having the name galaxy ipa I'm not sold on the beer, they should call it a cascade IPA

3.59/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Clear, amber-orange color with a large white head. The nose was tropical with mango, some citrus, and a bit of bready malt. The taste was less impressive with a muted, somewhat muddled hop flavor and a prominent biscuity, bready malt. Dry on the finish, medium bodied. Overall something I would not buy again.

Buck89 from Tennessee, Jul 22, 2017
3.48/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is now the third downstate Illinois brewery that I've found that is near a university. So I must ask the question: Is there a relationship between studying and brewing? Answer: no (the relationship is between students and drinking beer.)

Galaxy IPA actually gives me my typical IPA sensations. It Looks pretty good (could have more lace) and Smells typical, too. The initial Taste is refreshing, but something about the Cascade/Galaxy combo here takes over my tongue. I Had the rest with Indian food.
I doubt I will have Galaxy again, and I just may not have another Big Muddy. After all, someone has to be principled and not participate in the strong relationship between students and beer.

Beginner2 from Illinois, May 28, 2017
3.97/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear gold color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of floral hops, citrus hops, hint of piney hops, alcohol, sweet malt, and a hint of tea. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of caramel malt, biscuit, earthiness, sweet malt, citrus hops, piney hops, alcohol, and slight floral hops. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and complexity, but a very malty and earthy body.

Tone from Missouri, Apr 19, 2017
3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I bought this beer off the Binny's single shelf. It poured a slightly hazy orangish with thin white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent had hints of tropical fruit. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink. There was some citrus and pine flare. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

3.86/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy orange sunrise body with a soapy white head. The nose has some great tropical fruit spritz and a bit of Froot Loop that suggests sugary crystal malts. The taste is also pungently tropical, with lots of orange and papaya and also a bit of pineapple, a core of those sugary malts, and a touch of pine resin near the finish. There's moderate sweetness here but offers a modicum of bitter resistance. The feel is supremely drinkable, medium body with soft carbonation that nevertheless adds a zesty feel.
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this one, but it ended up being a bright, tasty, well constructed brew. It definitely favored the fruit aspect but varied it from the typical orange/grapefruit, and also added a different aspect of the pine. It's refreshing, literally and figuratively, to taste a new-ish Midwest brewery doing beautiful things with hops.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A new to me beer and brewery, purchased at Binny's.

16 oz can poured into an imperial pint glass, the beer is a hazy apricot with a sticky off-white head and lacing.

The beer has a nose of pine, citrus a bit of grains and something earthy.
It is bitter with pine resin, some caramel malts and lots of alcohol heat. That earthy taste from the smell emerges in the aftertaste. It is a bit out of place and distracting.

The mouth is decent with a touch of oiliness.

I'm not sure I would add this to the regular rotation as the alcohol heat and pronounced earthy taste just don't do it for me.

Redrover from Wisconsin, Jul 14, 2016
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I tried this from the can enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is a bright apricot shade with thick haze and off white head with very fine bead with film of lace and very good retention. The smell has a grapefruity and fropical fruit with some floral hop aromas and light sweet fruitiness of mango and orange-like citrus with a mild herbal scent to augment the full hop aroma. The feel is moderately carbonated with a slight sweet texture of toasted but moderately bitter with semi-sweet tanginess and juicy finish.

the taste of citrus is dominant with grapefruit and orange with mango-like hop flavor and slight sweet tropical hop flavors yet light herbal quality with slight peppery and grapefruity pith-like taste yet bitter finish with dry quality and mild alcohol. This is a very good IPA solid with a little alcohol in the taste to amp up the intensity of plenty of hops and slight fruity citrus with spice in the taste. I would drink this more often if it were more reasonably priced but $6 a can is a little pricey for what you get

Slatetank from Pennsylvania, Apr 12, 2016
4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

I know that a LOT has been written about me in the past (roughly a) decade, but I remain an unapologetic, self-described hophead with an affinity for beer in aluminum cylinders. As such, people are CANstantly seeking my opinion and/or input. My current proselyting is in support of the Brewers' Association series of what I call the "Reinheitsgebot books" of "Hops"; "Malt"; "Water" & "Yeast". My personal go-to is the first that I mentioned, authored by my hero, Stan Hieronymous. It is and was a quick, accessible read and I CANstantly come back to it, especially when faced with an IPA and hop that I CANnot remember. I highly recommend this book, if not the entire series.

From the CAN: "Galaxy & Cascade Hopped India Pale Ale". I really dig the graphics of the 1930s-era spaceship headed for Saturn, identified by its rings.

I am ready to blast off, my d**n self! I nearly creamed my jeans upon hearing the Crack! I had to give it a little calming time, though, as I was getting some foaming through the vent.

Dig this, I was at Old Forge's production facility in Danville (CANville), PA this past weekend & they let me explain the CANning process to the group! Say what you will, I really get into CANned beers.

Once things settled, I saw that it was the usual culprit - a brimful craft CAN with nowhere for the tab to go upon venting. Yay! It's like getting a Baker's Dozen! More, please. I deCANted it carefully since I was already having foaming problems. An in-glass swirl lifted a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like Froot Loops or Fruity Pebbles, but with an underlying earthiness, like someone was digging in the garden in the vicinity. Yes! I CANnot tell you what a fan I am of these new Southern Hemisphere/Down Under hops! They make my eyes light up & my tummy say "Howdy!" I CAN never get enough of that wonderful stuff! (Bonus points if you recognize that allusion). Mouthfeel was medium, but soft. I CAN't tell you how many AIPAs & DIPAs have hit my tongue like the troops attacking the Normandy beachhead, digging in and drilling down. Instead, this was like getting a rub-'n'-tug at my favorite massage parlor. The taste was very fruity, but it was tough to differentiate one from another. It was tropical, but not totally. I was getting grape and apple in addition to the (now) usual suspects. There was also an underlying earthiness from the malt. Man, this was so good! I don't really dig getting high (any more), but beers like this really hammer home the fact that hops & m.j. are from the same family & hybridization is a good thing. Finish was barely semi-dry, more fruity than I would have expected, but with enough malt & yeast action to tip the scales. Hey, let's blast off together again real soon!

woodychandler from Pennsylvania, Mar 10, 2016
4.23/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Looks ok, nothing remarkable. Solid head when poured from can. Smells like pine, muted citrus, and grass. Taste is similar. High quality and drinkable, similar to two hearted but less malt and more pine and an added edge of citrus that turned into lemon as it warmed toward the end. Have had several times and will likely have again.

citizencane from Pennsylvania, Feb 14, 2016
3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-pint can transferred to spiegelau ipa glass. Icanned 11.09.15. Iconsumed 01.12.16.

A: Candy glazed orange coloring with a dense nature. Healthy two finger foamy structure is oatmeal white in color, with a very short rate of retention. Lacing is good, with meaty deposits sticky well to the vessel. Effervesce was moderately strong and paced, densely packed.

S: Sweet peach and passion fruit aroma, gentle yet appreciable wet and fresh in nature. Sturdy durability.

T: Fruity tropical notes, citra-passion fruit, mixes with herbal hops. Dry barley grains and semi-dry citrus hopping on the finish. Hints of toastiness, the malting is kept light to let the galaxy hops have a fair share. Leaves with a good lingering amount of tropical hopping on the tongue.

M: Tingly active carbonation, feels very active, sharp with a good medium body is slightly creamy and grainy in texture.

O: A solid good casual drinker and offering with a nice mixture of galaxy hops and semi-dry tropical notes. Very good overall, six pack worthy.

beerthulhu from New Jersey, Jan 24, 2016
3.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Although I'm a thousand miles from home, beers from his last package continue to linger. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is pine, resin, light malts, considerable bitterness. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

tone77 from Pennsylvania, Dec 19, 2015
3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Traded for this with a friend up the Cloverleaf a few weeks back. I love IPA's and haven't had a whole lot from Big Muddy but this one was relatively generic in the end. Quite sweet for an IPA, this played off of the malt more than the hops and what bitterness was here didn't stand out from the myriad of other IPA's that I've had over the years. It's almost impossible to brew an example of this that doesn't cut it and thankfully, this was more than enough to enjoy and worthy of the name on the can!

Good pour to this, with a slightly cloudy apricot hue, lots of head, and a good amount of lacing left. Lots of caramel malty sweetness on the nose up front with even more in the taste, with the floral and tropical notes kicking in later on. Somewhat thick, this had enough carbonation to scrub everything away with the exception of some of the resin that stuck around for a while. Not a hop bomb by any stretch of the imagination, there was plenty to like here without this being too strong of uneven when it came to the bitterness.

Only at the end did I feel the booze and it wasn't that strong for an IPA. This almost felt like it had honey or the like in it because of the hue, thickness, and sweetness to it which in the end, made it stand out from other examples of the style. Worth a go once for hopheads looking for a more balanced brew.

JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey, Nov 20, 2015
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz bomber in an oversized wine glass.

Pours a hazy darkish orange color with a 1F white head, minimal lacing. There's some gently rising carbonation in there, light action and a bit of sediment. The $5.49 price tag surely looked good.

Some barely there citrus and tropical fruits. Sweet malt dominates the nose, likely due to hop fade.

Mostly sweet malt flavor with very faint citrus and tropical fruit hop flavors. Sugar and alcohol are noticeable.

There's plenty of body but there's no balance. Again, I suspect hope fade. It's not a sugar bomb but I pick up too much syrup-like sweetness.

There was no "best by" date on the bottle and I suspect that it was well past its prime. I cannot fault the store, there was no dating on the bottle. I rolled the dice at $5.49 and shot craps. No matter, I review what I buy, fair's fair.

NiceTaps from New Jersey, Oct 25, 2015
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Basic head of about a finger’s depth, deep cream colored and not especially dense and below average retention, the lacing fares a little better, widely dispersed and splotchy. The liquid is a crystal clear coppery orange hue, fully transparent, random lazy bubbles here and there. The nose has a taut, wiry feel, all raw grains, pepper and dried green material like an autumn leaf pile, burnt matchstick, minor notes of orange or white grapefruit, hard to tease out any real fruit presence, pungent with good scrubbing action. In the mouth it is medium-bodied and quite dry, to the point of adhering to the palate. Peppery with a saline quality, hop oils and pine resin. Cocoa powder helps it even itself out and when it starts to warm you get more tangerine citrus and a pinch of apricot, peach fruit that suggests it could have taken a tropical fruit turn. The carbonation is steady, always there but unobtrusive. Biscuity finish as if it was buttered and the butter dried on it. It almost takes awhile to acclimate as it does not offer the sweetness one finds more often than not in this beer category. Not really a session beer but you can throw back a few before wearing down.

farrago from New Jersey, Oct 06, 2015
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Try 1
I love when one can discover a new brewer at a great price. This strong IPA in a 16oz can is great.

A: a dark and slightly hazed amber body with a three finger head that lingers and laces moderately.

S: orange and citrus dominate, with grass, woodiness, and earthiness. a cedar chest.

T: Follows smell with cedar, caramel, orange, grapefruit rind, earthy bitterness, and a long bitter peppery finish in a well balanced IPA.

F: medium bodied beer, w a crisp, peppery finish, and slightly dry aftertaste. woody.

O Cant miss, hop bomb, and an inviting, easy drinking beer, bursting, flavorful and tasty. Try 1.

Act25 from New Jersey, Aug 27, 2015
3.96/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Great hoppy IPA without lingering bitterness. Nice, but mild aroma. Some nice tropical citrus but not very complex. Smooth feel and low to moderate carbonation. Good, easy drinking, tasty IPA, but not top shelf.

golf_sierra from Illinois, Apr 01, 2015

This is a nice IPA. I love Galaxy hops, and they are very present here. This one is neither too bitter nor too sweet. It straddles the line between those two types of IPA's very nicely.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

JLaw55 from Missouri, Feb 24, 2015
4.27/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So what do you want in an American IPA? Personally, I want an unfiltered recipe of hops and malts that combine for a flavorful experience with a respectable "kick." Big Muddy has captured that here. Is it the best AIPA I've had? Maybe not. Is it solid? Yes! Don't be afraid.

PJKSR02 from Connecticut, Feb 08, 2015
4.25/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great beer. The first time I had it I wasn't crazy about it. The second time I had it, it was much fresher and it was great. I really think, like with all ipa's you have to get this one fresh. Awesome hop aroma and flavor. Very unique taste. Definitely worth a try.

--Dom-- from Missouri, Jan 26, 2015
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

A brewery opened minutes away from my alma mater Southern Illinois University mere months after I graduated, such sweet sorrow. I've had a few beers from Big Muddy all pretty good none too overwhelming including this one, a very good run of the mill IPA very subtle for 7.5, I had a couple IPAs before this one so maybe my palate is hop scorched but it tastes very light and thin, a nice bitter after glow but very little mouth feel and not a good head a little lacing a very melancholy gold color. Great to see Southern Illinois on the map but could be better.

LANDRY from Illinois, Aug 31, 2014

Acquired in Tennessee in a mixed sixpack on my July trip to the South. Can't get this Illinois product in Mass.

No visible canning date. Attractive green and gold can design.

Poured from the 16 oz. can into a Tree House Tulip pint.

a: Clear amber with a finger thick offwhite head which receded to uneven surface foam and dense lacing.

s; Moderate floral and resin.

t: Floral and pine hops up front over a medium biscuit malt base. Bitterness lingers on the tongue. Slightly musty aftertaste becomes grassy later.

m: Medium with very good body and smooth, chewy texture, good carbonation tingle and some alcohol throat burn as well.

o; Definitely an above average IPA for flavor and mouthfeel. Would buy this again if it was available in my area. But that is highly unlikely.

scotorum from Massachusetts, Aug 17, 2014