Galaxy IPA | Big Muddy Brewing

Big Muddy Brewing
Illinois, United States
bigmuddybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Australian Galaxy & American Cascade Hops create an intense hop aroma and flavor balanced with a medium malt body yielding a very drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Added by mtlasley on 09-21-2012

I love this beer. crisp, and it finishes well.

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

4.31/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Hazy tarnished brass with a finger and a half of white head that coats the side of the glass as it dissipates. Sweet dried sugared tropical fruits, lots of tangerine, pineapple, and grapefruit. Hop Resin and caramel as well.

Such a good hoppy IPA. Bright tropical fruit flavors up front with a fruit rind bitterness. Just enough of a malt body to carry the hops over your tongue. Just enough carbonation to keep the beer brisk without breaking up the flavors. Finishes with a nice bitterness. Awesome. Big Muddy pushes the limits of the galaxy hops aroma, flavoring, and bittering agents.

4.27/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

DATE REVIEWED: July 31, 2014... GLASSWARE: Duvel oversized tulip... OCCASION: a week with the air conditioning off continues...APPEARANCE: dark, forceful amber orange body, thick and hazy; effervescence is deliberate, sparse; head is creamy, thick, almost oozing with Swiss cheese-like caverns forming along the glass; fantastic lacing--a near one-finger head holds throughout drinking... AROMA: beautiful bouquet of fresh floral hops with some fruit traces; big caramel malt presence--strikes a surprising balance for an IPA with a 7.5 ABV and with pine cone wafting all about... PALATE: medium-to-full bodied, swift to the throat yet sitting against the tongue and cheek in its aftertaste; the weakest aspect of the beer? ... TASTE: caramel eases the hop bomb that rears its piney head; orange, mango and some other tropical fruit is suggested in the profile; finishes sharply with a somewhat astringent pucker--yet, overall, this beer delivers a tremendous balance for a beer that too often is a bitter battle.. OVERALL: at $4.99, probably worth a bomber's price; Big Muddy may be the brewery, but this one's pretty clear in its taste--though, as the bottle drains, the beer becomes more subdued and easier drinking--is ita trap to drink another?!...

4.27/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So what do you want in an American IPA? Personally, I want an unfiltered recipe of hops and malts that combine for a flavorful experience with a respectable "kick." Big Muddy has captured that here. Is it the best AIPA I've had? Maybe not. Is it solid? Yes! Don't be afraid.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great beer. The first time I had it I wasn't crazy about it. The second time I had it, it was much fresher and it was great. I really think, like with all ipa's you have to get this one fresh. Awesome hop aroma and flavor. Very unique taste. Definitely worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Looks ok, nothing remarkable. Solid head when poured from can. Smells like pine, muted citrus, and grass. Taste is similar. High quality and drinkable, similar to two hearted but less malt and more pine and an added edge of citrus that turned into lemon as it warmed toward the end. Have had several times and will likely have again.

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours with a vibrant head of two fingers which settles in but is present throughout drinking. The color is a bright orange with a cloudy body. Rich, sticky lacing left behind at each level. Active carbonation is a touch low for the style. A very pretty beer.

Smell: The front is a combination of soft fruits with accents of grapefruit and mangos and slightly bitter pine. Tropical fruits continue to build on the body with a light yet perfectly complimentary malt profile. A touch of resinous pine rides throughout and adds an extra touch for the drinker to enjoy.

Taste: The front is a touch of bright fruits with accents of kiwi, mangos, and tangerines. Medium bodied, rounded malt warm up on the front. The malt profile takes on the creamy, rich buttery flavor on the body with lingering resinous bitterness in the background. Some more tropical fruits pop up on the back end up the finish gets a touch mashed together in an undistinguished way which would be my only gripe about the taste.

Mouthfeel: Outstandingly drinkable. An easy going malt profile lets the soft fruits to shine on the palate and makes this IPA disappear quickly. Carbonation is a touch low but I think it plays well here.

Overall: Seeing Galaxy hops in 16oz cans was more then enough for me to give this a go. Really glad I did because this is no doubt an excellent IPA. No hesitation should be given to trying out this brew, especially at a great price.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Bright orange glow, nice 2 finger head, great chunky lacing down the glass. Head doesn't stay long, virtually gone before the first sip.

S - Big bright hop character jumps out of the glass with an assertive and definite tropics land citrus nose. Subtle sweetness in the nose promise something nice.

T - Thankfully follows the nose with tropical and slightly citrusy notes. There's snow underlying sweetness, never cloying but adds to the overall experience and compliments the tropical notes. Bitterness builds just a bit then fades, never really growing and making it into the finish. Very clean finish with no lingering bitterness but some citrusy notes following through on the back end. Really good tasting beer.

M - A bit thinner than I'd like, very low end of medium mouthfeel. Smooth, not very punchy with carbonation. Very clean on the finish. Nothing special mouthfeel wise but nothing distracting either.

O - Recommended to me by my beer guy and I'm glad I tried it. This could have benefited from a fuller mouthfeel and some more bitterness to bring it together but overall a strong IPA. I would revisit this again.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

I know that a LOT has been written about me in the past (roughly a) decade, but I remain an unapologetic, self-described hophead with an affinity for beer in aluminum cylinders. As such, people are CANstantly seeking my opinion and/or input. My current proselyting is in support of the Brewers' Association series of what I call the "Reinheitsgebot books" of "Hops"; "Malt"; "Water" & "Yeast". My personal go-to is the first that I mentioned, authored by my hero, Stan Hieronymous. It is and was a quick, accessible read and I CANstantly come back to it, especially when faced with an IPA and hop that I CANnot remember. I highly recommend this book, if not the entire series.

From the CAN: "Galaxy & Cascade Hopped India Pale Ale". I really dig the graphics of the 1930s-era spaceship headed for Saturn, identified by its rings.

I am ready to blast off, my d**n self! I nearly creamed my jeans upon hearing the Crack! I had to give it a little calming time, though, as I was getting some foaming through the vent.

Dig this, I was at Old Forge's production facility in Danville (CANville), PA this past weekend & they let me explain the CANning process to the group! Say what you will, I really get into CANned beers.

Once things settled, I saw that it was the usual culprit - a brimful craft CAN with nowhere for the tab to go upon venting. Yay! It's like getting a Baker's Dozen! More, please. I deCANted it carefully since I was already having foaming problems. An in-glass swirl lifted a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like Froot Loops or Fruity Pebbles, but with an underlying earthiness, like someone was digging in the garden in the vicinity. Yes! I CANnot tell you what a fan I am of these new Southern Hemisphere/Down Under hops! They make my eyes light up & my tummy say "Howdy!" I CAN never get enough of that wonderful stuff! (Bonus points if you recognize that allusion). Mouthfeel was medium, but soft. I CAN't tell you how many AIPAs & DIPAs have hit my tongue like the troops attacking the Normandy beachhead, digging in and drilling down. Instead, this was like getting a rub-'n'-tug at my favorite massage parlor. The taste was very fruity, but it was tough to differentiate one from another. It was tropical, but not totally. I was getting grape and apple in addition to the (now) usual suspects. There was also an underlying earthiness from the malt. Man, this was so good! I don't really dig getting high (any more), but beers like this really hammer home the fact that hops & m.j. are from the same family & hybridization is a good thing. Finish was barely semi-dry, more fruity than I would have expected, but with enough malt & yeast action to tip the scales. Hey, let's blast off together again real soon!

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a nice IPA. I love Galaxy hops, and they are very present here. This one is neither too bitter nor too sweet. It straddles the line between those two types of IPA's very nicely.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

Nice Ipa, very balanced between hops and grassy grapefruit flavor, comes in 160z cans which is perfect to take out anywhere.

Galaxy IPA from Big Muddy Brewing