Galaxy IPA | Big Muddy Brewing

Big Muddy Brewing
Illinois, United States
bigmuddybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Australian Galaxy & American Cascade Hops create an intense hop aroma and flavor balanced with a medium malt body yielding a very drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Added by mtlasley on 09-21-2012

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look - copper color with slight white head and slightly cloudy
Smell - piney floral resin no fruit so im thinking I'm smelling the cascade and not the galaxy
Taste - piney floral like the scent and I still can't tell the galaxy is in there
Feel - medium body and carb
Overall - for having the name galaxy ipa I'm not sold on the beer, they should call it a cascade IPA

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Clear, amber-orange color with a large white head. The nose was tropical with mango, some citrus, and a bit of bready malt. The taste was less impressive with a muted, somewhat muddled hop flavor and a prominent biscuity, bready malt. Dry on the finish, medium bodied. Overall something I would not buy again.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is now the third downstate Illinois brewery that I've found that is near a university. So I must ask the question: Is there a relationship between studying and brewing? Answer: no (the relationship is between students and drinking beer.)

Galaxy IPA actually gives me my typical IPA sensations. It Looks pretty good (could have more lace) and Smells typical, too. The initial Taste is refreshing, but something about the Cascade/Galaxy combo here takes over my tongue. I Had the rest with Indian food.
I doubt I will have Galaxy again, and I just may not have another Big Muddy. After all, someone has to be principled and not participate in the strong relationship between students and beer.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear gold color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of floral hops, citrus hops, hint of piney hops, alcohol, sweet malt, and a hint of tea. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of caramel malt, biscuit, earthiness, sweet malt, citrus hops, piney hops, alcohol, and slight floral hops. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and complexity, but a very malty and earthy body.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I bought this beer off the Binny's single shelf. It poured a slightly hazy orangish with thin white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent had hints of tropical fruit. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink. There was some citrus and pine flare. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hazy orange sunrise body with a soapy white head. The nose has some great tropical fruit spritz and a bit of Froot Loop that suggests sugary crystal malts. The taste is also pungently tropical, with lots of orange and papaya and also a bit of pineapple, a core of those sugary malts, and a touch of pine resin near the finish. There's moderate sweetness here but offers a modicum of bitter resistance. The feel is supremely drinkable, medium body with soft carbonation that nevertheless adds a zesty feel.
I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this one, but it ended up being a bright, tasty, well constructed brew. It definitely favored the fruit aspect but varied it from the typical orange/grapefruit, and also added a different aspect of the pine. It's refreshing, literally and figuratively, to taste a new-ish Midwest brewery doing beautiful things with hops.

3.29/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A new to me beer and brewery, purchased at Binny's.

16 oz can poured into an imperial pint glass, the beer is a hazy apricot with a sticky off-white head and lacing.

The beer has a nose of pine, citrus a bit of grains and something earthy.
It is bitter with pine resin, some caramel malts and lots of alcohol heat. That earthy taste from the smell emerges in the aftertaste. It is a bit out of place and distracting.

The mouth is decent with a touch of oiliness.

I'm not sure I would add this to the regular rotation as the alcohol heat and pronounced earthy taste just don't do it for me.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +9%

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I tried this from the can enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is a bright apricot shade with thick haze and off white head with very fine bead with film of lace and very good retention. The smell has a grapefruity and fropical fruit with some floral hop aromas and light sweet fruitiness of mango and orange-like citrus with a mild herbal scent to augment the full hop aroma. The feel is moderately carbonated with a slight sweet texture of toasted but moderately bitter with semi-sweet tanginess and juicy finish.

the taste of citrus is dominant with grapefruit and orange with mango-like hop flavor and slight sweet tropical hop flavors yet light herbal quality with slight peppery and grapefruity pith-like taste yet bitter finish with dry quality and mild alcohol. This is a very good IPA solid with a little alcohol in the taste to amp up the intensity of plenty of hops and slight fruity citrus with spice in the taste. I would drink this more often if it were more reasonably priced but $6 a can is a little pricey for what you get

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

I know that a LOT has been written about me in the past (roughly a) decade, but I remain an unapologetic, self-described hophead with an affinity for beer in aluminum cylinders. As such, people are CANstantly seeking my opinion and/or input. My current proselyting is in support of the Brewers' Association series of what I call the "Reinheitsgebot books" of "Hops"; "Malt"; "Water" & "Yeast". My personal go-to is the first that I mentioned, authored by my hero, Stan Hieronymous. It is and was a quick, accessible read and I CANstantly come back to it, especially when faced with an IPA and hop that I CANnot remember. I highly recommend this book, if not the entire series.

From the CAN: "Galaxy & Cascade Hopped India Pale Ale". I really dig the graphics of the 1930s-era spaceship headed for Saturn, identified by its rings.

I am ready to blast off, my d**n self! I nearly creamed my jeans upon hearing the Crack! I had to give it a little calming time, though, as I was getting some foaming through the vent.

Dig this, I was at Old Forge's production facility in Danville (CANville), PA this past weekend & they let me explain the CANning process to the group! Say what you will, I really get into CANned beers.

Once things settled, I saw that it was the usual culprit - a brimful craft CAN with nowhere for the tab to go upon venting. Yay! It's like getting a Baker's Dozen! More, please. I deCANted it carefully since I was already having foaming problems. An in-glass swirl lifted a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like Froot Loops or Fruity Pebbles, but with an underlying earthiness, like someone was digging in the garden in the vicinity. Yes! I CANnot tell you what a fan I am of these new Southern Hemisphere/Down Under hops! They make my eyes light up & my tummy say "Howdy!" I CAN never get enough of that wonderful stuff! (Bonus points if you recognize that allusion). Mouthfeel was medium, but soft. I CAN't tell you how many AIPAs & DIPAs have hit my tongue like the troops attacking the Normandy beachhead, digging in and drilling down. Instead, this was like getting a rub-'n'-tug at my favorite massage parlor. The taste was very fruity, but it was tough to differentiate one from another. It was tropical, but not totally. I was getting grape and apple in addition to the (now) usual suspects. There was also an underlying earthiness from the malt. Man, this was so good! I don't really dig getting high (any more), but beers like this really hammer home the fact that hops & m.j. are from the same family & hybridization is a good thing. Finish was barely semi-dry, more fruity than I would have expected, but with enough malt & yeast action to tip the scales. Hey, let's blast off together again real soon!

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Looks ok, nothing remarkable. Solid head when poured from can. Smells like pine, muted citrus, and grass. Taste is similar. High quality and drinkable, similar to two hearted but less malt and more pine and an added edge of citrus that turned into lemon as it warmed toward the end. Have had several times and will likely have again.

3.69/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

-pint can transferred to spiegelau ipa glass. Icanned 11.09.15. Iconsumed 01.12.16.

A: Candy glazed orange coloring with a dense nature. Healthy two finger foamy structure is oatmeal white in color, with a very short rate of retention. Lacing is good, with meaty deposits sticky well to the vessel. Effervesce was moderately strong and paced, densely packed.

S: Sweet peach and passion fruit aroma, gentle yet appreciable wet and fresh in nature. Sturdy durability.

T: Fruity tropical notes, citra-passion fruit, mixes with herbal hops. Dry barley grains and semi-dry citrus hopping on the finish. Hints of toastiness, the malting is kept light to let the galaxy hops have a fair share. Leaves with a good lingering amount of tropical hopping on the tongue.

M: Tingly active carbonation, feels very active, sharp with a good medium body is slightly creamy and grainy in texture.

O: A solid good casual drinker and offering with a nice mixture of galaxy hops and semi-dry tropical notes. Very good overall, six pack worthy.

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Although I'm a thousand miles from home, beers from his last package continue to linger. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is pine, resin, light malts, considerable bitterness. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

Galaxy IPA from Big Muddy Brewing