Galaxy IPA | Big Muddy Brewing

Big Muddy Brewing
Illinois, United States
bigmuddybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Australian Galaxy & American Cascade Hops create an intense hop aroma and flavor balanced with a medium malt body yielding a very drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Added by mtlasley on 09-21-2012

Liked:
3.65/5
Alströms:

3.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

never heard of these guys before, but was pretty happy with this galaxy ipa, a hop I think should be used more widely. this pours a hazy brass color, pushing burnt orange, with a sensational white head that's tall and permanent, leaving sexy rings as it drinks. the galaxy hops are immediately apparent on the nose, sharp and fruity, almost with a bubblegum character, but still citric at the same time. more malt than we probably need here in nose, taste, and body, it crowds out the interesting hops a little more than it should, but its good pale malt and aside from making this beer a little less drinkable, it doesn't really hurt it too much. great hop journey in this one, moving from fruity to bitter and back again to zesty citrus fruit, a very well hopped brew. the alcohol and the body make it a one and done bomber for me, and the carbonation is a bit strong, but the flavors of this beer are its best assets, as they should be in any beer. a great introduction to big muddy brewing for me, I will be looking to get my hands on some more of their stuff, and this is further proof that the galaxy hop needs more exposure, maybe my next homebrew...

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy amber yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving delicate lacing covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of gooseberries and tropical fruits are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has lots of fruity flavors from the Galaxy hops—gooseberries and mangoes seem to stand out in particular—along with some hints of citrus from the Cascade hops. A light amount of bitterness is present.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. No crispness is perceptible.
O: This beer exhibits a lot of interesting aromas and flavors from the Galaxy hops. The low amount of bitterness makes this beer very easy to drink, but the mouthfeel lacks crispness.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottles just showed up here, so assuming it's a fresh batch.

Poured into a tulip glass it's a nice saturated orange color, slightly hazy with a persistent head of creamy white foam on the surface. Rings of lace in the glass, long lasting head retention.

As it warms up there's a distinct citrus presence, resinous with a slightly funky dankness. Biscuity pale malt middle beyond that.

Earthy resinous citrus peel aftertaste, grapefruit and marmalade, moderate hoppy bitterness. Dry and bitter in the aftertaste, some lingering cracker and biscuit notes from the pale malt. Medium bodied, definitely a solid IPA, could use a little more edge in the hop department, though it's clearly well hopped. Again not sure how fresh the bottles are, but it's a nice effort, and will check it out again down the line.

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

I know that a LOT has been written about me in the past (roughly a) decade, but I remain an unapologetic, self-described hophead with an affinity for beer in aluminum cylinders. As such, people are CANstantly seeking my opinion and/or input. My current proselyting is in support of the Brewers' Association series of what I call the "Reinheitsgebot books" of "Hops"; "Malt"; "Water" & "Yeast". My personal go-to is the first that I mentioned, authored by my hero, Stan Hieronymous. It is and was a quick, accessible read and I CANstantly come back to it, especially when faced with an IPA and hop that I CANnot remember. I highly recommend this book, if not the entire series.

From the CAN: "Galaxy & Cascade Hopped India Pale Ale". I really dig the graphics of the 1930s-era spaceship headed for Saturn, identified by its rings.

I am ready to blast off, my d**n self! I nearly creamed my jeans upon hearing the Crack! I had to give it a little calming time, though, as I was getting some foaming through the vent.

Dig this, I was at Old Forge's production facility in Danville (CANville), PA this past weekend & they let me explain the CANning process to the group! Say what you will, I really get into CANned beers.

Once things settled, I saw that it was the usual culprit - a brimful craft CAN with nowhere for the tab to go upon venting. Yay! It's like getting a Baker's Dozen! More, please. I deCANted it carefully since I was already having foaming problems. An in-glass swirl lifted a finger of foamy, tawny head with decent retention. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like Froot Loops or Fruity Pebbles, but with an underlying earthiness, like someone was digging in the garden in the vicinity. Yes! I CANnot tell you what a fan I am of these new Southern Hemisphere/Down Under hops! They make my eyes light up & my tummy say "Howdy!" I CAN never get enough of that wonderful stuff! (Bonus points if you recognize that allusion). Mouthfeel was medium, but soft. I CAN't tell you how many AIPAs & DIPAs have hit my tongue like the troops attacking the Normandy beachhead, digging in and drilling down. Instead, this was like getting a rub-'n'-tug at my favorite massage parlor. The taste was very fruity, but it was tough to differentiate one from another. It was tropical, but not totally. I was getting grape and apple in addition to the (now) usual suspects. There was also an underlying earthiness from the malt. Man, this was so good! I don't really dig getting high (any more), but beers like this really hammer home the fact that hops & m.j. are from the same family & hybridization is a good thing. Finish was barely semi-dry, more fruity than I would have expected, but with enough malt & yeast action to tip the scales. Hey, let's blast off together again real soon!

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I tried this from the can enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is a bright apricot shade with thick haze and off white head with very fine bead with film of lace and very good retention. The smell has a grapefruity and fropical fruit with some floral hop aromas and light sweet fruitiness of mango and orange-like citrus with a mild herbal scent to augment the full hop aroma. The feel is moderately carbonated with a slight sweet texture of toasted but moderately bitter with semi-sweet tanginess and juicy finish.

the taste of citrus is dominant with grapefruit and orange with mango-like hop flavor and slight sweet tropical hop flavors yet light herbal quality with slight peppery and grapefruity pith-like taste yet bitter finish with dry quality and mild alcohol. This is a very good IPA solid with a little alcohol in the taste to amp up the intensity of plenty of hops and slight fruity citrus with spice in the taste. I would drink this more often if it were more reasonably priced but $6 a can is a little pricey for what you get

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in a Bruery snifter.

With more income comes more bottles from the store. This case-in-point pours a mostly clear brass-amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit zest, mild pine resin, light toffee, and pineapple. The taste keeps those fruits, but tends toward their rinds rather than their flesh, resulting in a shift from fruitiness to bitterness. It's a bit of a downer, considering how nicely tropical that aroma truly was. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a pretty nice IPA, but one that would have done better to stick with the path laid out by the smell rather than ply its own bitter trade. Still ain't all bad, though.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I bought this beer off the Binny's single shelf. It poured a slightly hazy orangish with thin white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent had hints of tropical fruit. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink. There was some citrus and pine flare. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a decent beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a clear gold color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of floral hops, citrus hops, hint of piney hops, alcohol, sweet malt, and a hint of tea. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of caramel malt, biscuit, earthiness, sweet malt, citrus hops, piney hops, alcohol, and slight floral hops. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and complexity, but a very malty and earthy body.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Although I'm a thousand miles from home, beers from his last package continue to linger. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is pine, resin, light malts, considerable bitterness. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: pours a dark and slightly cloudy orange color with a two finger head that lingers around a while. Moderate lace develops.

Smell: orange and grapefruit citrus, some woodiness, and a bit of earthiness comes through to the nose.

Taste: caramel, orange, grapefruit, earthy bitterness, and some pears create a well balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp at the start, less crisp at finish. slightly dry aftertaste here.

Overall: an easy drinking beer, flavorful and tasty.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Galaxy IPA from Big Muddy Brewing