33 Export | VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)

poor
Read the review
33 Export33 Export

VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)
Viet Nam

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

3.15/5  rDev +12.5%

A clear golden brew that shows lots of bubble activities throughout and clinging to the sides of the chilled pint glass. The modest head is snow white but holds on reasonably and leaves similar traces of lace. The aroma offers a mild but balanced rice/wheat grain. Very clean, nothing unusual but fine for the style. The flavor brings fairly simple wheat and light malt with a rice-lemon theme and maybe even some sweet corn and a cardboard kiss. But it’s a light bodied beer with a fairly dominant carbonation that makes for a very bright, crisp feel. Very refreshing, perhaps overcarbonated and a little under-flavored. But adequate to wash down your Viet Namese chow.

3.75/5  rDev +33.9%

2.81/5  rDev +0.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a half finger tall soapy white head that quickly reduces to a very thin layer over most of the surface of the beer and a ring at the edges of the glass. Light lacing is observed.

S: The aroma of this beer is just like that of an American Adjunct Lager rather than a Dortmunder/Export Lager. There is a heavy presence of adjunct malt sweetness - leading with rice and some lighter amounts of grain.

T: The taste follows the smell but underneath it all is a metallic taste. The flavor is dominated by the adjunct malts - mostly rice but also with a heavy dose of grain. The beer has a decent amount of sweetness and I get something akin to apple juice as well. There is some light bitterness in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Some very light dryness in the finish.

O: The slightly metallic taste is definitely off-putting in this beer and to me makes it less than enjoyable and not a sessionable beer. I do not want to have more than one of these, never mind more than one in a single session.

2.68/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl. oz, poured into a tall pilsner glass.

It wasn’t a particularly good Valentine’s Day for this author, for a couple of reasons; (1) I don’t have a valentine right now; and (2) I underwent a prostate exam. This is a good time for a beer or two.

A: Golden in color, actually more gold than yellow – that’s a pleasant surprise. It produces a 3 cm head with a careful pour, and it holds much longer than most beers of this type. The head is wheat-colored, and dissolves into lace. It’s also very, very bubbly. I’m starting to wonder about this one…

S: As I’m reviewing, I usually set the glass down about 18 inches from my nose after I pour it. In quite a number of cases, I can smell the beer from that far away. With this one, I can’t smell a thing; I don’t know if that’s good or bad. Nose in – I’m suddenly teleported to my Army days, when I was stationed in Korea. This is what beer smelled like there; very grassy and hoppy, with a citrus note in the background. Wow.

T: At this point, I’m committed, so I’m going in for a taste. Man, that’s disappointing. All the ingredients I smelled are there, but in weak proportions, and they don’t play well together. What a bummer. The balance is off, and that’s noticeable immediately. Yuck.

M: Mouthfeel is not even good. It’s light in body, the carbonation is kicked up to the point that it foams in your mouth, the palate does not like this, and the finish causes you to make the kind of face that makes people think you smelled something you didn’t like. I’d like for my mouth to forget this particular experience.

O: I wouldn’t drink this beer again on a dare, or if paid less than twenty bucks per sip. You wouldn’t believe how many potato chips I had to eat to nullify the effect on my tongue. I know this doesn’t make me popular with the maker, but that’s my true opinion; better luck next time. I’m immediately going to another beer. Until the next time.

3.97/5  rDev +41.8%

"33" Export has a medium, stark-white head and a clear, golden appearance, with lots of lacing and little fine particles floating about. The aroma is of toasted barley and subtle spice. Taste is of toasted barley malt, grain, sweetness, and a light hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is watery and relatively thin, and "33" Export finishes crisp, refreshing, and easy drinking. This is a very good lager.

RJT

2.68/5  rDev -4.3%

Served at Nha Trang restaurant, Manhattan

Typical golden lager color with typical active carbonation and not much head.

Aroma fresh and clean, not skunked, malty.

Refreshing and crisp on the palate, not a bad example of the adjunct lager style, certainly a better choice than Tsingtao for you Asian food accompaniment.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

3.42/5  rDev +22.1%

I'm not as down on this beer as the other reviews here. Compared to american adjunct lager (which seems more appropriate to me than dortmunder) this is pretty decent. I don't know about paying much of a premium for it but I do think it's good for what it is. (Definitely better than Hue, the other beer from Vietnam I've tried).

Aroma
Light sweet malt with possible hints of caramel, maybe a bit of grassiness from hops

Mouthfeel
Higher carbonation, but still a bit watery on the palette. Only light bitterness with no real aftertaste.

Appearance
Pale straw/light golden with a stark white head which quickly dissipated.

Taste
Hints of light grassiness and a bit of a twist of light malt, maybe hints of caramel in there.

Drinkability
Rather, this is a beer for an evening although you certainly won't be overwhelmed by the flavor.

Overall
I'm not quite sure how to compare it. To american adjunct lager this is a highly drinkable beer which is non-offensive without strong adjunct flavors. Highly drinkable and good for a session.

1.18/5  rDev -57.9%

Oh man, this isn't too good. Got a cold bottle, poured a small, off white head that quickly settled down to a light scummy cover and lots of lace. Color is a pale yellow with varying size bubble trails. Aroma is super mild, a little fruit, and maybe malt. Flavor is dominated by carbonic tang with a little malt, fruit, some mineral, and adjunct flavors. Body is watery and carbonation very sharp. Finish is like flavor and too long. Can't drink anymore.

33 Export from VBL Tien Giang Limited (Fosters)