Diabolical India Pale Ale | North Peak Brewing Company

North Peak Brewing Company
northpeak.net

Style: American IPA

Added by kegger22 on 12-20-2009

I'm not even going to do a standard review here because words can't describe how delicious and perfectly balanced this beer is in nearly every way. You just HAVE to try it! It's everything a great beer should be and I'm extremely impressed that the little North Peak brewery has managed to make something so fantastical, so monstrous in flavor. Yet so refined and so drinkable.

Traditionally, I've always been more of a "malt-head" than a "hop-head". Early this year I started trying many various IPAs and hoppy brews to expand my horizons. When I had Nugget Nectar, Hop Stoopid, and Hop Wallop for the first time, I truly understood this hop craze that's taken the nation by storm. I've since tried about 50+ different IPAs and hop-heavy beers, some of them insanely too expensive for my pockets but amazingly, the Diabolical IPA has been my "Holy Hoppy Grail" so far. I keep going back to it and look forward to trying it on-tap someday soon.

This one now has a permanent parking pass in my fridge.

Its the most metal beer 6.66% \m/

I'm telling you - watch out for this brewery. Up and down for the first year of their young life. Sometimes this beer was as good as Two Hearted but other times blah. I buy this at least a few times a month and the last two months this has been unreal. If you have had it prior to December it is a total crapshoot on whether the beer will be good or not . Try it since then and crazy good. They have the stuff together. Hop Aroma (Late January the most pronounced) not cause its new but because they are doing something different, is amazing. Hop flavor is so smooth and consistent in your mouth. Like a hop blossom that slowing melts throughout your sip. Crazy cool logo, sweet bottle and the nectar inside is what it should have always been- Awesome.

4.79/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

Standard pour with a nice 2 finger white head. Nice dark orange/amber color.

Nice earthy hop nose and bitterness. Pine, light citrus, and a touch of caramel.

Great bitterness and really well balanced beer. I tasted some caramel and piney notes, and really, really enjoyed the balance across my mouth.

Great mouth feel with medium carbonation and a hint of cream.

Wonderful drinkability. Nice crisp and dryness. I could have more than one of these.

Overall, this is a great beer. It is very well balanced IPA and I look forward to enjoying more.

I have to admit, I tried this beer earlier in the year and this one is better. It is a fantastic IPA!

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.68/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites. Bottle is unique but best poured. Hoppy, malty, I could have one every day.

4.62/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.6/5  rDev +25%

4.59/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: yellow gold
Smell: hoppy
Taste: can taste the hops but it's a lighter hop than others tried. Light citrus notes, tasted a touch of caramel
Aftertaste: not a bad aftertaste, the hops linger a little
Overall: not bad, i would have it again.

4.44/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Solid beer very good hops taste. Love it from the brewery

4.44/5  rDev +20.7%

I combined it with a strain of agent orange and enjoyed a quality evening. With the first sip the hops bounce upon the pallet like rain upon a still lake. Bitter tones tinge the tongue as the amber wave rushes down to cool the throat and soothe one's thirst.

Initially, the brew gives off a crisp, hoppy aroma, which is replicated on the pallet when sipped. While many American IPAs lack a little zest, however, Diabolical India Pale Ale maintains a robust, unique flavor with a rather "drinkable" composition (I detest this adjectival description). Drinking the Diabolical conjures picturesque images of a cool, sunny evening on a dock on the Grand Traverse Bay; truly gifting the drinker with all the subtle nuances of a perfect evening in beautiful Northern Michigan.

Diabolical India Pale Ale from North Peak Brewing Company