Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA | North Peak Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by 33nickadams on 11-04-2011

1.93/5  rDev -51%

Thanks to surlytheduff for passing this one along to me.

Served in a tulip pint.

Translucent, but not clear, orangey rust color. WAAAY overcarbonated. I poured as I always do and had half a glass of foam whileuch remained in the bottle yet unpoured. Great retention though! The lace is poor-- just some small clingy streaks. There was a pretty big looking yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle, and I intended to keep it out of my veer by not pouring the last few ounces--- as it turns out, the rush of bubbles that created such a massive billowing head stopped my pour earlier than even I had planned.

Smells very weak. I certainly get citrus hop notes, but where is all the malt that makes this beer so dark in color?

The taste tough to really pin down because the beer is much too overcarbonated-- the beer bubbles off my tongue before the tastebuds have a fighting chance! Way too fizzy, and as a result, it feels too thin.
I get the citrusy hops, as well as an earthy breadiness with some mineraly notes. Is this an English mild ale? The yeast seems to think so... Some strong bitterness comes on and really makes this one more unbalanced than a member of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Overall-- a few tweaks and this might be passable as an IPA. A bunch of tweaks, and it might be "good."

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a nice burnt orange with a thin whit head.

S - Nice sweetness comes first followed by a good amount of piney hops and citrus.

T - Follows the smell. Lots of bitter hops and light amount of citrus. Lots of sweetness. Nicely balanced.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Good beer. Nothing mind blowing but I would drink again.

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a handsome hazy orange copper color with a a lasting off white head and generous amounts of foamy lacing. The aroma is hoppy with notes of grass, pine, and some floral hops. I can tell by the nose that this bottle is slightly past its prime. There is also a decent malt backbone in the aroma. This definitely has promise of being balanced. The mouth is nice, just the right balance of sippably smooth and mouth coating resiny goodness. The flavor starts out very nicely with a punch of hops upfront followed by a nice malt note to balance the taste. Unfortunately, the aftertaste is an unpleasant bitterness of stale hops. I'm not knocking this one super hard for this as I know that I am not drinking the freshest bottle. This is good and definitely something that I will seek out this fall when it is fresh and re review.

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

North Peak Hoodoo.

Ahhhhh North peak...total love hate relationship with these guys. I've hate a few greats, lots of goods and quite a few mehs outta these guys. For example, their IPAs are usually on point but their stouts and experimental beers are usually pretty meh. This one is pretty make or break in terms of how I feel about this brewery. Grabbed this Ron Jeremy dick bottle for $2.89 and I'm hoping for the best! Let's get to it!

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a coca cola pint glass because I'm lazy. Pours a moderate shade of copper-ish sunset with a tint of golden. The head is massive and demands more than one attempt at the pour. Head is frothy and slightly off white consisting of bubbly bliss. Carbonation appears to be about medium on thie brew. Lot's of lacing and stick after the beer is finished.

Smell - Earthy and just a bit of what I typically call oniony. I cannot really put a finger on what fruits I am smelling but they are there. Malt levels really dominate in the nose. Almost smells like a less catty version of Lagunitas Equinox.

Taste - Flavor evelopes with once again those fruit juices I cannot quite put a finger on. Pineapple maybe with a big dosage of malt to check things out. Just a hint of the dank eartyness. Very drying as well. Once again, tastes like a better version of Equinox.

Feel - The feel is very full and exceptionally creamy with a good dosage or carbonation. Beer sits very well and like a pillow within the mouth. Swallows quite juicy and easily. No alcohol presence.

Overall - This is a shorter review than what I typically do. I was a bit worried by the nose but this was a pretty good beer in the end. Just a touch more earthiness than what I would personally like but keeps the hops in check for the most part and the malts are very much welcome to this party..

3.14/5  rDev -20.3%

Here we go again with another from North Peak. Poured into a pint.

A: Gentle pour yields 3 fingers of red-tan head with lots (too much) retention. Red-orange liquid.
S: Clean aroma. Citrus, black pepper, mint. Mmmmm.
T: Very sweet with just a little bitterness to balance. Almost cloying. A bit solventy. Purported 99 IBUs aren't showing up. It reminds me of homebrews that I've made and haven't been proud of. Cooked vegetable is there too.
M: A bit warm. cloying.
O: Alcohol comes on strong. I still have not had a good North Peak beer! I want to like them, but it's not happening. Imbalanced like homebrews I've made. I poured this out.

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

Traditional North Peak, stubby bottle, dated Oct2512. Poured into a Duvel tulip. Love the "Brewed Up North" stamp.

A- A moderate pour creates a 2-finger, tan head. The body was slightly hazed before clearing, amber with some ruby tones. The head sustains at a thin film and leaves awesome rings. Some yeasty goodness left behind in the bottle even after a swirl and secondary pour that clouded the body.

S- With the crack of the cap, there's a bunch of fresh hop resin. After the pour, it opens up to reveal citrus, pine, and tropical fruit. Delightful. Sugary sweet malt backbone. Definitely hop-centric. Very fresh and organic.

T- Wonderfully balanced. Really solid dose of hops up front and in the finish. Sweet malts through the middle (Hawaiian bread). Hopping is the centerpiece. It starts a little medicinal/herbal, with hints of aspirin and spice and finishes mostly with grapefruit and some pine.

M- Nicely viscus and quite dry. Carbonation keeps up with full body. Slightest warmth from ABV (not harsh, nor are the hops considering their presence). Just a slight bite.

O- North Peak has really impressed me since their launch. Hoodoo is up there with many of the great MI DIPAs. Only hint of 9% ABV is the light head I got while drinking. I could drink this (slowly) all day. That's one fresh beer.

3.98/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A lot darker color than I expected. Almost deep caramel in color. Nose is almost sweet but strong of hops. Taste has a buttery resinous taste that carries for a few s Vonda after initial taste. Decent beer

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA from North Peak Brewing Company