Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA | North Peak Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by 33nickadams on 11-04-2011

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Pours a amber/copper with an off white head
S - mostly hops, grapefruit, pine. hints of carmel malt. not as strong as expected.
T - Like the smell, lots of hop flavor. tropical fruit, grass, sweetness. More malty then expected. No one flavor sticks out more then the others.
M - medium body with a dry bitter finish.
O - Its good but not on the same level as many others.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of North Peak's Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA a couple days ago for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I made sure to grab a bottle to try when it was just recently released, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up, so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a stubby 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it looks pretty typical for North Peak. It poured a nice amber/caramel color that took on more of caramel color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it left a little more lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that's followed by loads of hops that impart a great, fresh hop, dank, and slightly piney hop aroma with citrus and tropical fruit hops seeming to stick out the most impart a nice mango, grapefruit, and pineapple like aroma with a slight bit of peach in the background. Up next comes a pretty light malt aroma with some sweet malts, slightly bready, slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aromas. The aroma was very nice, it was dominated by dank citrus and tropical fruit hop aromas that were really nice.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops which impart a grassy, slightly dank, citrus hop, and piney flavors with no single aspect seeming to sticking out the most. Up next comes some malts which show up a little more than they did in the aroma and it imparts some bready, grainy, and caramel malt like flavors with some lighter alcohol flavors that's just barely warming and there's a lower amount of high bitterness on the finish with a piney and slightly citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on thicker side of being medium bodied bordering on being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I thought it could have been a little smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer an an above average Wet Hop IPA, the aroma really wowed me with some deep and fruity hop aromas that were really nice, the taste had a nice hop aspect too, but it was a little bit of let down when compared to the aroma. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, it was a little filling, and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, hands down it was the best aspect of this beer and it was full of great juicy tropical fruit and citrus hop aromas. What i liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better and I wish the hop profile was more like it was in the aroma. I don't think i would get this beer again this year, I might try it again next year, but i don't think I'll be coming back for anymore of this years release especially when Founders Harvest Ale is available. I'm not sure I would really recommend this beer, but I wouldn't tell people it's a bad beer. All in all, I liked this beer, but it isn't in my top Wet Hop IPA, it was just too rough around edges and if the taste was more like the aroma then I think this would be a pretty great beer. Solid work guys, but I think with some tweaking this can be a better beer next year.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.64/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 10/16/13. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a dark burnt golden. It's clear with a slight haze; huge fluffy eggshell white head that sticks around and leaves awesome lacing and retention. Looks great. The aromas are full of caramel malts and some sticky grapefruit. There's some orange in the mix as well. The flavors are pretty malty, but the hops still do their thing. This is very resinous. Lots of pine resin. More grapefruit. Very sticky. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate carbonation and slightly slick. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's easy drinking, but is really big at just 8% abv.

This is a solid DIPA. It drinks bigger than you would imagine. It's not too unique, but it's well crafted. It's good, but I'm not crazy about it.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I am a little new to the Wet Hop IPA but for a first try this one was ok. I was looking for a new beer for my tap. It starts off good but ends with a very bitter taste that last for awhile after I finished to bottle. I would probably not by it again.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber red with nice head and lacing. Smells nice - fruity, hop heavy, pine, citrus, oily. Nice medium bodied feel - good bitter forward palate - wet hopped equates to a juicy hop forward clean drink. Finishes dry and bitter - the dryness lingers on the palate.

Overall, this is a solid DIPA, but isn't go to brew and I'm not sure I will have it again considering all the other options in this category.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

On-tap at Bunkers Sports Bar & Grill, Vandalia, OH

A: The beer is relatively clear light amber in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down and left some lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of citrus and pine resin hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has some notes of tropical fruits to go along with the citrus and pine resin flavors. There is a moderate amount of bitterness and this lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has nice aromas and flavors of fresh hops; the tropical fruit flavors add some complexity to the taste.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

So I did the side by side taste with Founders Harvest and I got to hand it to North Peak but this Hoodoo is the champ. The color reminded me of BrooDoo by Three Floyds while it did not have its nose it was a close second to my favorite wet hopped ale.

Hoodoo Midwest Wet Hop IPA from North Peak Brewing Company