Dorée | Bières de Chimay

Bières de Chimay

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

The menu at the abbey's cafe (Auberge de Poteaupré) lists this beer as "Speciale De Poteaupré."

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-28-2002

Reviews: 134 | Ratings: 392
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Reviewed as part of the Blind Beer BIF #6. 330ml bottle poured into a snifter

A: As I pour this, it's mostly white foam with some golden colored beer. Settles in the glass a peachy color, with a fair amount of frothy white head sitting on top. The head doesn't stay around as long as I thought it might, but a very thin layer remains. Some nice looking lined lacing at the top of the glass (4)

S: Nose is full of floral notes and fruit. Passion fruit, tangerine and melon. Starts to develop a hint of spice, suggesting this may have been brewed with belgian yeast. I detect something similar to artificial vanilla as well. So far, so good (4)

T: Flavor mostly consists of yeast, but not really getting the belgian quality that I picked up in the nose. Floral is muted compared to the nose. Grass, hay and melon are other flavors that I'm getting (3.5)

M: Light to medium bodied. Initially heavy on the carbonation, it burns off a bit to provide just enough to keep things going. Leaves a soapy coating on the tongue (3.5)

D: A very drinkable beer. Nothing that wows, but a solid beer all around (3.5)

3.82/5  rDev -1%

330ml bottle poured in a Chimay chalice.

Funny enough, in the left side of the bottle you can read the phrase "ne peut pas être mis en vente" that means "cannot be sold". Some say that this beer is the one consumed by the monks in the monastery and shouldn't be commercialized. Reality is that I've paid a reasonable price (7.5 euro for a 330ml bottle) at a famous beer shop in Brussels.

A: Pours an orange to chestnut very cloudy color. Forms a medium white fluffy and bubbled head. Small retention and some lacings left

S: Smell is close to a Belgian white beer. Very spicy, earthy and refreshing. Coriander, citrus hops, wheat and yeasts

T: As the nose, reminds a white beer. Wheat, coriander, bread, citrus hops. A dry, flowery and refreshing beer. Different from the other Chimays. Good beer, nevertheless. Strength point is its citrus bitter end

M: Light but bit creamy body. Medium carbonation. Delicious mild citrus and bitter aftertaste

O: Very drinkable and refreshing beer. Its low ABV contributes on that matters. Different from the other Chimays. Quite nice beer

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%

I had the opportunity to taste this beer on a tasting organized by BA's Jeffo and Doopiedoopiedoo. Actually I already had a bottle on my shelf. It was a gift from the Brabander, as I believe this one is too. This beer was the warmer, the welcome beer.

See for the total beer line up my review of the Brewery - Black Tuesday.

A - A white head on top of a yellow haze. One could also easily say it was amber in color.

S - A nice pine and citrus smell enters my noose, in that exact order.

T - A bit light in body, but yeh what do you expect from a blond. The taste is good however, again pine and citrus.

M - A medium to high carbonation, as goes for the bitterness in the end; also medium.

O - For a light beer its quite good. Thanks Thijs for sharing.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

61st Review
Bottle to Westvleteren 12 (small) chalice

Thanks to Brabander for this one at our recent Utrecht tasting!

A: Bright, golden yellow. Shining like the sun! 1.5+ (white) fingernail head on medium pour.

S: Freshly tilled wheat field. Smells of citrus, cracked wheat, hard work, and mild pepper. Very earthy.

T: Crisp. Refreshing. Hints of orange peel, wheat, and pepper. Well-balanced and rounded.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. Soft. Smooth. Gentle.

O: Yes! Yes! Yes! This beer is very inviting and well-rounded. Overall, just beautiful! I can see why the monks at Bières de Chimay S.A. work as hard as they do. This beer is wonderfully easy to drink and I think it truly captures the essence of what a table beer should.

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Golden pour into a tulip glass with a nice creamy head that lasted but left little lacing. Aromas of candy sugar, citrus, zesty spicy belgian yeast and a field. Tastes very nice, orange zest, spice, pepper, light grassiness (field) and slight bitter finish. Light and fluffy on the palate. Soft and nicely carbonated. Overall this is a very nice beer that I would have guessed to be a Witbier. Either way it went very nicely with mussels!!

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%

A HUGE thanks to Thorpe429 for bringing this back for me from Belgium! Truly a generous soul!

.33L brown glass pry-top, plain silver cap, no back label. Front stamped L10-681...which I believe means it's the 681st batch brewed in 2010...(?) Served in a large Chimay chalice.

Pours an ever-so-slightly hazy but bright golden yellow with 1 inch of sudsy bleach white head. Nose is classic "Belgian yeast" fruitiness plus hay and citrus. Smells like a field full of wild flowers on a dry Summer day. I get a hint of coriander too, almost like a wit.

Palate is dry and sudsy. Flavors of orange rind, coriander, white pepper, hay/straw, lime zest, wheat grain and orange glazed sweet bread. Finish is drying and zippy. Very floral, too.

Notes: I'm surprised by how much this tastes like a witbier. Pretty tasty and definitely a "bier de table." I'm truly honored to have tried it! Thanks again Thorpe!

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

2007 bottle poured into a snifter. This brew appears a light golden color with a little bit of haze about it. A finger of creamy white fluff sits atop the brew. Bubbles of carbonation rise slowly through the body collecting across the top in support of the head. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves spots of lacing sticking to the glass. A light swirl revives the cap back to a creamy topping.

The smell of this brew is quite sweet reminiscent of belgian candy sugar mixed with something along the lines of orange marmalade and a touch of vanilla. There is a light citrus hop aspect mixed with some clove spiciness and a yeast quality very familiar to the typical Chimay offering.

The taste is earthy to almost grassy with an initial sweetness of belgian candy sugar mixed with a yeasty quality. Some mild orange rind flavoring is present that fades into more of an earthy to dirt flavoring that is mildly cheese-like. The aftertaste is a mixture of earth, mild belgian candy character, yeast spiciness and some fruity notes almost like pear or apple. Lots of earthen flavors run throughout this brew.

This is a very light bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. Throughout the entire experience it has a watery feel about it to the point where I am struggling to even believe that this is 4.8% abv, it seems much less. It is easy drinking and I could see myself drinking a bunch of these if given the opportunity but the hassle to acquire a bottle was overall not worth it.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Got this bottle as a gift from Brabander a while back. Thanks a lot buddy!

From a bottle into a chalice.

APPEARANCE: Pours a fluffy, creamy, whipped-cream, two finger, white head with great retention. Amber orange in color, clear, with lots of active carbonation. Head keep growing out of the glass. After doing some work around the house, head finally fades to a thick cap. Good foam cap remains until the end and leaves some nice mounds of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Bold nose of pale malts, green fruit and grassy hops. Green apples and pears, with some light yeasty notes. Quite nice.

TASTE: Pale malts with a touch of sweet toffee and honey up front. Green fruits, apples and pears, with some grassy hops at the finish. Bold and lingering aftertaste is plenty bitter, with some nice sweet honey malt and spicy yeast as balance. Good beer.

PALATE: Medium body with lower levels of carbonation. Quite surprising, considering the look. Very creamy smooth, goes down smooth and finishes dry on the palate. Very nice feel for sure.

OVERALL: This was a great, easy drinking pale ale. I can see why the monks brew this and keep it all for themselves. I would make it my table beer as well. Had this next to the Westmalle Extra and this one was the clear winner. Give it a try if you can. Thanks again Brabander. Recommended.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Good spiky yeasty doughy nose. Promising. Nice one inch head with a hazy brown yellow (mustardy??) colour.
Very spritzy body but short on taste, almost hollow in the flavour profile though there is some apple before ending lightly stern.
A little bit more potent than expected too. Bit of a nice surprise here but nothing celestrial.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for sharing this bottle.

A - Straw yellow color with a fizzy head that didn't stick around for very long.

S - Some apples, white grapes, bready yeast, not a ton else. Has a lot of typical belgian pale smells, not bad.

T - Has more bisquity malts than anticipated, some slightly phenolic yeast that is appropriate to style, and some yellow/green lighter fruits. It's a pretty easy drinker that keeps from getting too sweet due to the yeast cutting into the taste.

M - Lighter, somewhat dry, phenolic finish, active carbonation.

O - Good beer, liked it quite a bit and found it easy to drink. Would like to have it again.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle acquired at the beer shoppe in Ghent and poured into a Trappistenbier goblet in Antwerp, Belgium. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of no real cream, bad thickness (i.e. it's rather thin), and really good retention. Colour is a hazy murky dark gold.

Sm: Musty scent of lemon citrus esters, cream, and soft barley body. Mild strength scent.

T: Delicately soft cream is most prominent on the open, but present throughout. Light and balanced lemon (and perchance grapefruit but I'm not sure) fruit ester hops entre just before the midpoint and stay through the finish, which is a nice touch. The barley is restrained and subtle, but still strong enough to support the clever hop layering. Complex yet light and refreshing. Wonderfully balanced and very well built.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complements the flavour of the body. Brilliantly delicate and light.

Dr: An average ABV refreshingly light beer that is wonderful for a summer afternoon. Well priced despite its rarity and very worth trying for anyone that likes a good beer. Would even satisfy the missus.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

I had a beertasting yesterday evening with my cousin Bert and his son Michael. After a while Mrs. Brabander joined the tasting. I used small Westvleteren and La Trappe tastinglasses.

I bought this beer last week when i was at Dranken Geers nearby Gent, Belgium.

I had heard about this monks tablebeer and had mailed Dranken Geers for this one, luckily he managed to find two crates.

Poured in the glass this beer looks wonderfull, full head with a cloudy fluid and tons of carbonation. Thats what i like in a beer.

A fresh and dry taste. For the low ABV it has this is a beer you must try when you love abbey beers (like i do).

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

2007 Vintage bottle shared by the Good Doctor in his home while entertaining a small gathering of delinquents.

Poured into my Chimay taster glass because I have one and why the fuck would I pour this into any other glass? Seems irresponsible to say the least. Looks pale yella in color with a slight off-white head that creates a collar around the edges of the glass. Smells sweet like Huhzubendah's armpits. Belgian candy sugar and Belgian yeast are dominant. Tastes similar with some bready malt. Fairly thin with lower than expected carbonation. Certainly drinkable and fun to try, but not my favorite Chimay offering.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

2007 vintage

The appearance is orange hued and slightly translucent. The beer is full of carbonation and appears extremely effervescent. I thoroughly enjoyed the aroma, which is rich with yeast and citrus scents. The flavor is tasty, though the aroma is even better. The body is extremely thin, giving the beer a watery feel on the palate. While this may adversely affect the mouthfeel, this ale is extremely drinkable, and it would be easy to throw back a few of these in a session.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

2007 vintage. On my quest to drink all the Trappist ales know to man, I had to slay the rare Chimay. I did drink this out of my Chimay goblet but I regret not taking a photo of the goblet with the bottle and not serving this beer with Chimay cheese or with other bottles of Chimay.

So, the beer is yellow, light, thin white head of small bubbles, some carbonation, some retention, some lacing, not a lot of anything but looks like beer.

The aroma is sweet like candy is sweet, malty and yeasty. Subtle but present.

Beer is thin, thinner than expected and I expected a thin beer. It's sweet and bready on the palate. Mildly carbonated overall but still quite good. The finish is nice, I would call this a Belgian session ale.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to TurdFurgison for opening this bottle. Served in my Cantillon tulip.

Pours yields a hazy straw-colored liquid with a pretty good white head and a bit of lacing as it goes down. The nose is nice but doesnt offer all that much. Quite a bit of bready yeast and not too much else. The taste is also quite full of baking bread as well as a bit of mild fruit. Mouthfeel is the highlight here for me with a really nice body and good carbonation. Nearly perfect for a table beer. Drinkability is good, not breast. Thanks again to Eric for helping me finish off the Chimay collection of beers. Considering that I bought all the others at a local shop, I really owe Eric yet again.

2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

Was not aware of this beer until I stopped at the Auberge de Poteaupré (restaurant down the street from the Abbey) and had it on tap as part of their Chimay sampler. They do not call it Dorée they call it "Spéciale Poteaupré"

Light blond color with very little lace. Citrus flavor and light in the mouth. Malty with a dry bitter aftertaste. Goes down easy but I expected more from a Chimay. Prefer the big three Chimays, but not a bad beer if you are feeling adventurous and in the neighborhood.

2.04/5  rDev -47.2%

This beer is not very good. Not very good at all. Pour is decent enough, a bit more pale than expected with an enormous head. Aroma is malt, spices, and dead hops. Taste is about the same, but a bit off. Body is too thin, and very heavily carbonated. Didn't finish it and would never drink it again. If I were the monks I would brew something a bit more tasty for my lunch.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a murky golden yellow with a finger of head and tons of effervescent carbonation.

Aroma is heavy yeast and bready malts, a bit more bold than I was expecting based on the style and the ABV. That is a good thing. Light spices can be noticed in the background.

The flavor is a bit more mild than the nose, mostly just yeast and some muted hoppiness. It is definitely on par with what the style usually has to offer....a nice, refreshing brew to drink with a meal.

Mouthfeel is medium with not as much carbonation sting as I expected. Drinkability is high in terms of volume...like I said this would be a great beer to drink with a meal. But it really doesn't have anything going for it that wows me.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Rochefort chalice.

The beer pours medium honey murky gold with a decent amount of carbonation. A big white head bubbles about a couple fingers but fades quickly to a little soap on the sides. The lacing is ok.

The aroma is light mostly hops and light flowers.

The taste is great, I wasn't expecting much but its light but has tons of flavor and totally drinkable. This is by favorite belgian pale ale by far. There is some nice sweetness, light hops, and a great floral finish.

The feel is nice, totally drinkable.

My favorite belgian pale ale, my favorite Chimay. What else can you say?

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at L'Auberge de Poteaupre near the abbey, or at least I think I did. On the menu there it is called "Chimay Special Poteaupre" and from what I understand it is the same thing. So please forgive me if I am reviewing the wrong beer but from what I know there are only the big 3 and the monks brew (Doree) which is what is at the cafe near the abbey.

This beer pours a pale yellow color with a small white head. Very thin lace throughout.

Citrusy smell like triple but other than that, nothing that stood out.

Clean light beer. Lemony flavor. Slight malts but very easy on the tongue and easy to put down.

Thin with moderate carbonation.

Easy drinking light flavored Chimay. If the monks drink this every day than I say lucky monks. This is a very decent, solid brew. Other Chimay's are better though. I ordered this first than a blue and when I finally ordered the blue the waitress looked at me, smiled and nodded as if saying "Yes, you made the right choice".

4.52/5  rDev +17.1%

Finally, after many months I managed to get my hands on some bottles of this extremely rare trappist beer! I decided to drink it with my beerbuddy PapaEugene during one of our beer tasting evenings. Right after dinner (PapaEugene cooked an incredible dish with meat prepared in Aventinus beer,both smell and taste: 5) we opened the bottle.... Poured into a Rochefort glass. The beer pours a very nice, hazy yellow-brown color with a very small head that rapidly changed into a nice, balanced lacing.

Smell: Surprisingly strong for such a low ABV beer; Floral and fruity hops, some sweet fruits (peach) and strong clover honey.

Taste: The taste itself is quite short. Again honey, some yeast (grass, reminds me of weizenbeers), hint of nuts (almonds), soft-sour fruits (apple), floral hops and some notes of spicy herbs. The aftertaste is very dry, with bitter-sweet honey taste.

Mouthfeel: Just after opening, high carbonation that tingles the tongue. Minutes later however, medium-low carbonation, indicating a very high oxidation. The beer is light-bodied and very soft.

Overall: Wow, again a great table-beer of the monks. I was a bit skeptical on forehand, because of the mixed reviews here, but personally, I think this one can match the Westmalle extra. I could drink this one the whole evening. It is amazing how the monks can brew such an interesting beer, with so many different flavours, and still such a low ABV. Only possible in Belgium. I agree with TurdFurgison that this beer is a must-try for fans of Trappist beers. Although I realize that most people will not be able to drink it because of the rarity of the beer....We can only hope the monks will start distributing this one commercially!

4.49/5  rDev +16.3%

The first beer of the second beer tasting evening with rvdoorn and, yes, he managed again to get his hands on a unique beer which is "not for sale".

A: Poured it into my Urthel glass. A hazy dark yellow color with a white tiny head.

S: Floral hops, clover honey and some notes of peach.

T: Honey, toffee, roasted almonds, apple and some tobacco/herbal aspects.

M: Light but impressive body. Low carbonation. Oxidation is rather fast once poured into the glass.

D: WOW, again a beer (after the westmalle extra) that is brewed by the monks for self consumption and it makes me jeaulous. A light brew with an impressive rich taste/smell.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks Turdfurgison for this one. Small capped bottle, best before end of 2008, poured into a Chimay goblet.

Nice looking, light golden color with a foamy white head that keeps being replenished by the continuous ascension of bubbles produced around the etched glass area; not profuse like a Duvel but quite nice. The head holds well, and leaves nice lacing on its way down. At the end of the glass I added the yeast for an experiment, which clouded the otherwise clear beer and darkened it significantly.
Light bodied, very easy to drink, it has a good amount of flavor, but perhaps given the extreme cold today feels a bit watered down.
yeasty flavors are noticeable, a mild hoppy bite and earthiness, cookie like flavors as well as a slight malty sweetness. All very delicate and balanced.
A very nice session beer, that is, if you can get more than one.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

I brought back 2 bottles of this (2008) from Belgium last month, and am now celebrating with a Chimay night (Doree, then Red, then Blue). This beer was very light colored, light yellow straw, until I poured the yeast in from the bottom of the bottle. That darkened things up a lot, and now the beer is murky dark yellow color. The foam was about 1-2 fingers but quickly receded to a thin but lasting film. The smell is a little yeasty-estery, maybe a little lemon also. The taste is nice, actually very flavorful for a 4.8% beer. Light yeast flavors are dominant, very easy drinking and tasty. The body is pretty watery but not unexpectedly so given the low ABV. A must-try for fans of Trappist beers, as this is supposedly the only beer in the Chimay line-up enjoyed regularly by the monks of Scourmont.

Dorée from Bières de Chimay