Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 7,801 ratings
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Originally brewed as a Christmas beer in 1948, this dark ale has rich flavors of mulling spices and caramel, with a smooth palate and warming finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Ratings: 7,801 |  Reviews: 2,372

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very enjoyable with pre dinner appetizres. Was in itself an appetizre. The intense flavor set the mood for the garlic based food that we paired with it and we were pleasantly surprised by how well they worked together. I would recomend with any specialty flatbread pizza.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%

Chimay grande reserve

I have enjoyed this wonderful beer perhaps 100 times, but it is so familiar I kept putting off an actual review, but here it goes.

Poured into goblet from 0.75L bottle. Appears very dark brown with a tinge of auburn when held up to a light. No real head to speak of, but little carbonation bubbles are pretty consistent. Nose is sweet. Raisin, red wine, and preserved plum are scents that I am reminded of. Bready yeast is also in there. Taste is not as sweet as the nose in my opinion. Malt even comes through with some roasty, coffee like bitterness in the midst of the toffee sweetness and bready and yeasty flavors. Mouthfeel is perfect with a nice amount of carbonation and a long lasting almost syrupy finish. I love this beer. This beer really helped to get me into the craft thing years ago and I know I can always go to it for a great drink and some memories.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay