Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Originally brewed as a Christmas beer in 1948, this dark ale has rich flavors of mulling spices and caramel, with a smooth palate and warming finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Ratings: 7,752 |  Reviews: 2,363

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%

A – A deep, oak brown with shades of ruby, huge huge ecru head that takes forever to dissipate, looks very good, a lot of carbonation coming from the bottom; but there is very little lacing.

S – Just absolutely sumptuous, luxurious, opulent. The smell explodes with clove, dark fruit, cinnamon, nutmeg. And it only gets better as it warms.

T – The taste is glorious. I was nervous for a moment because even though I’ve recommended this beer to my friend, I have never sat down and actually written out a review for it. I thought that I might have remembered it as being somewhat more grand than it actually is. This is not the case. The dark fruit is even more noticeable on the palate and tastes of figs, with caramel-esque sweetness, a healthy amount of spice that comes on late, almost chocolate-like malts, and a tartness/bitterness to go along with the sweetness that adds complexity and character. And the thing is with each new sip it seems the beer changes and a new flavor stands out most prominent. So well orchestrated, absolutely “wow” worthy deliciousness.

M – The mouthfeel is phenomenal in my opinion. I love the heavy carbonation that gives it a tingly, light mouthfeel; finish is somewhat dry and peppery despite the fruity nature of the beer, and it goes down with a comforting warmth.

O – This is just a great trappist, or Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I think that it is truly something special. Each time that I get it, I come to find I enjoy it a little bit better than the time before. This is a beer that originally changed the way I thought about beer, and now it still stands as part of my regular repertoire; and something I can always turn to knowing I will thoroughly enjoy it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a solid dark brown with ruby highlights when held to light, and a decent sized off white head that dissipates too quickly leaving a cap on top. The aroma is filled with prunes, plums, raisins, and lots of dark and burnt sugars. Slight aroma of ethanol and a hint of yeast, with just a touch of earthy spicy hops. The flavor is rich and sweet with a full complement of dark dried fruits as well as some complex dark sugary flavors. Slight vinous quality as well as some bready yeasty flavors round this one out quite nicely. Medium to thick body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy burnt sugary mouthfeel. Nice brew, its been so long I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed this ale.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Aroma of rum-soaked spice cake, raisin, estery yeast, and dark bread. Dark, opaque brownish red in color with ample carbonation and head. Profoundly sweet and fruity, with a variety of dessert and baking spices, raisin and lightly warming alcohol. Aftertaste is long, spicy, having a scant amount of hop flavor and continuing maltiness.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%