Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Originally brewed as a Christmas beer in 1948, this dark ale has rich flavors of mulling spices and caramel, with a smooth palate and warming finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

Ratings: 7,766 |  Reviews: 2,365

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

She was 65. I was 23. She had some tricks up her sleeve. I was a little naive. She smelled like an ashtray sprayed with glade air freshener. I had a thirst. She quenched it.
Michael and I would tie knots, and we got damn good at it. She would sit in the corner shaving bones, or filling dolls with pins. Strangers would throw down money, and she would toss the bones into the corner as a game progressed. People would celebrate, curse, dance, and cry. I saw a lot of gold teeth. They saw a lot of gold teets. Soon the knots became tighter and different girls were brought into the scene. The batteries were charged and the red light was on. I heard the blonde in the jumpsuit say, "Mr Hutchence, are you and your friend ready?" He nodded. I didn't. Or, maybe he didn't.
The old lady punched some pregnant girl in the stomach, like Fonzie punched jukeboxes, and a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve fell out. I know it was Grand Reserve because I know my beers. It was blue. How many labels are blue? Exactly. The bottle was wiped clean, placed on the ground, and spun. Another game? When the spinning stopped, it pointed at me. That's not polite. The cork blasted from the bottle and hit me square in the forehead, leaving a mark like it was ash wednesday. A hint of plum and fig were in the air. I guess I was "it."
Lady 65 knelt down and washed her hands in the chimay fountain. The way she knelt, I could see everything. She faced me. The skirt laid loosely. It was aged down there. You know what I mean. She walked over to me, saddlebags shifting from left to right, and splashed my face with the dark brown goodness. A bit splashed into my mouth. A taste of dark fruits hit, with a little chocolate coming off the end. Maybe it was her sweat, maybe it wasn't. She laughed and started farting. A spirit emanated from her anus, and came at me aggressively. I blacked out....

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance - Pours a cloudy, burnt orange color with an off-white, 3 finger head. Decent retention, resulting in a thick, semi-sticky lacing.

Smell - Notes are clean, if not subdued. Hints at maple and a touch of raisin.

Taste - Starts sweet with heavy malt character; maple backed by notes of tobacco and raisin. Heat becomes more noticeable mid-taste, but not to a detriment.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied, with a lively carbonation. Goes down smooth and clean.

Overall - Good beer; clean and smooth with decent flavor. Is it worth the high cost? Probably not.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%