Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) | Bières de Chimay

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 7,801 ratings
Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Bières de Chimay
chimay.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Originally brewed as a Christmas beer in 1948, this dark ale has rich flavors of mulling spices and caramel, with a smooth palate and warming finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-22-2001

#504
Liked:
4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 7,801 |  Reviews: 2,372

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bought this as a birthday present to myself on my 25th birthday. Bought the 750ml bottle and enjoyed it all by myself with my wife watching on, laughing/being disinterested the drunker I got. It was a beautifully dark brew that intimidated me at first as I had not had much experience with Belgian strong dark ales. However, once I poured it into that goblet of mine, ohhh... the magic. Easily ranks as one of the best beers i've ever had, and probably ever will have. Very strong aroma of berries and cloves. Amazing warming sensation in the cheeks and the throat. Beautiful dark head to match the hue of the brew. If you are looking for cost-performance in a beer, this is the one. Treat yourself to it! I'm a Chimay believer for life!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Tasted On: 02-07-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 330 ml brown bottle
Glassware: Chimay chalice
Purchased: Gift pack from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

Color is a very dark burgundy, capped by a dense, tan head of two fingers. Very little lacing but there is good head retention.

Aromas are complex and inviting, with dark fruit notes, grapes, malty toffee sweetness and a musty yeast trait as well.

This is a highly carbonated beer, which is the first thing I noticed. Taste is a nice balance between sweetness and dryness. Flavors include ripened dark fruits such as raisin and plum, along with caramel malts and spices. No hop bitterness is perceived.

A full-bodied ale, with a noticeable alcohol presence. The aftertaste presents the balance previously noted of the malt sweetness and dryness of the yeast. I would prefer it to be a bit less carbonated, however.

Overall, this is a strong and elegant beer that makes an excellent treat at the end of the day.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

I love this beer! It was like cherries and strawberries with a smooth finish. It was my first trappist and I didn't know what to expect. I somehow thought I didn't like Belgian ales but I tried it with a bunch of other beers and it was my favorite BY FAR. Soooo tastey!!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

This is one of the best beers i have ever tried.

A- Dark brown to reddish ,1 inch tall lacing amber froth,it remanis on top several minutes.

S- Complex yeast and dark malts melange scent,very nice.

T- Plums,figs,blueberries and dry fruits present,a slightly warm touch coming from alcohol,sweet and dry finish,hops are present just to balance malty flavors.

M- Medium to full body perfectly carbonated.

o- Wonderful beer, i think yeast makes here a great job,the most important factor, i think.

3.87/5  rDev -10%

They say to age this, but I didn't want to wait. So take into account that this review is of a version only eight months in the bottle.

A - Dark copper. Loose, fizzy, foamy head that bubbles down to a stable, solid film within five minutes and erodes slowly after that

S - Pleasant combination of fruit and yeast that meets in the middle somewhere near wine. Also caramel and maybe butter. The caramel is more evident deeper in the glass

T - Initially there's somethinge bordering on metallic that, later in the glass, merges into caramel. Behind that, and more noticeably on the exhale, is something more pleasant, a combination of fruit and booze. It hides the alcohol well.

M - Initially dry yet somehow still soft in the middle and then ending dry again. Interesting!

O - Pleasant, but less complex and robust than I'd hoped for. Wish I'd cellared it. I'll buy one more and try that. Otherwise a second one wouldn't bring me back.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A - The appearance is a slightly hazy brown and red color kinda like a raisin. Two finger cream colored head that eventually fades to nothing and won't come back, No lacing due to high abv I suppose.

S - Best part of the beer, lots of dark fruit and carmalized sugar on the smell, with a touch of vanilla mmm.

T - Lots of sugar, dark fruit - raisin/fig/date, and vanilla (too much vanilla imo). The ending leaves a taste of vanilla and is dried out a touch by the hops. Alcohol is present and in this beer I don't enjoy it showing its ugly head.

M - medium to full bodied with a relatively smooth mouthfeel, needs to be drank at 50 degrees +

O - A good beer for the holidays or dessert but not my favoritve.

Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) from Bières de Chimay